SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
AndreasChen
Advanced Member
AndreasChen is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
Default Do I need to worry about oil pressure when using oversize oil filter?

I found if I put a dry PL20195 in, the first a few seconds after the oil change is terrible. Very noisy and a lot of crazy vibration. Looks to me the pump is having a hard time pushing oil through the filter.

If I soak the filter in advance it is way better.

Now I wonder: am I putting much more load on the oil pump by using a really fine and oversize oil filter? Should I switch to L20195 instead of PL20195? I do not want to kill the oil pump...

02 Saturn SC2, noisy, trying to quiet it down...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AndreasChen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AndreasChen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AndreasChen is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2013, 11:08 PM   #2
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2
Default Re: Do I need to worry about oil pressure when using oversize oil filter?

It's fine to use a larger filter. The noise is because the pump has to fill the filter before getting oil to the engine. Filling the filter before putting it on will help. Over the duration that filter is on, it will be much better for your engine than a smaller one as it filters out much smaller particles, provides better pressure, increases sump capacity, etc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to anmasher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:08 PM   #3
ahimsa1
ahimsa1 is on a distinguished road

1997 SW1
Default Re: Do I need to worry about oil pressure when using oversize oil filter?

The oil pump can handle that filter fine. After your first start-up after the oil change, the oil filter will always be full of oil... the lack of oil in the filter on that first start-up was the cause of the noise. The reason this noise was more pronounced with the larger oil filter is that it took longer for it to fill with oil. Once it's full, though, it isn't any harder to pump oil through it than a smaller filter.

97 SW1 Auto 174k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ahimsa1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ahimsa1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ahimsa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:11 PM   #4
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Happy Re: Do I need to worry about oil pressure when using oversize oil filter?

I'll run a larger filter whenever I can locate one for a vehicle (or lawn equipment). But you really should pre-fill them. Some will argue it doesn't matter, but I say what does it hurt? It can only hurt if you don't.

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
billr
Master Member
billr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to allbillr is a name known to all

Are we talking about Saturns similar to my 1.9l DOHC ones, with the filter mounted horizontal on the fire-wall side??? Not much you can do to get that filled before installing. Sure, you can get the element wet, but still a lot of air will be left in there. By the way, I put mine in dry and there is no unusual noise or vibration, the oil light just comes on for a second or two at first start.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #6
AndreasChen
Advanced Member

2002 SC2

Good to know there is no oil pressure concern. Thank you for all the input!

I found the excessive noise/vibration after putting in dry filter happens only to Purolator PureOne, for other filters it's fine. I like PureOne filters, so I will soak them before putting them in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help AndreasChen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Well, there is another suggestion to use each time a new oil filter is replaced - remove the fuel pump fuse and use the starter. Cranking the engine without firing up allows the oil pump to fill the oil filter. Two, 5-second cranks of the starter should be more than enough to pump and fill the filter while pumping oil into the oil passages. Replace the fuel pump fuse and start up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreasChen View Post
Good to know there is no oil pressure concern. Thank you for all the input!

I found the excessive noise/vibration after putting in dry filter happens only to Purolator PureOne, for other filters it's fine. I like PureOne filters, so I will soak them before putting them in.
Just fill them 1/2 full as they will spill while installing unless you are quick if filled full.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:07 PM   #9
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

^ ^ ^ That's what I do.... fill the new filter 1/f full with fresh oil, undo the drain bolt, add more fresh oil to the new filter until it is 1/2 full again, since mose of what I poured in the first time is soaked away, then fill it again to 1/2 full before putting the new filter on

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:28 AM   #10
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2

^^^^^^ I do that as well. I don't lose much oil at all in the process. I do the same for our tractors and the larger bike, all of which have horizontal oil filters.

Otherwise do it like fdryer suggests. That's the common wisdom for the first crank-over of freshly rebuilt engines. Why wouldn't that be good at oil change times too? Do not ever start it "dry" if you can help it.

DIYguy

97SC2 Saturn (gone but never forgotten), Gen6 Camaro, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C, Honda CBX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-27-2013, 01:48 AM   #11
AndreasChen
Advanced Member

2002 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Just fill them 1/2 full as they will spill while installing unless you are quick if filled full.
Yep! As long as I soak the filter wet, even if I pour a lot of oil out of filter, first start is still fine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-27-2013, 07:35 AM   #12
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

With practice you can get the filter back on and not spill a drop from a full filter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-27-2013, 09:03 AM   #13
AndreasChen
Advanced Member

2002 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
With practice you can get the filter back on and not spill a drop from a full filter.
I do the oil only 3 times a year so the practice is very limited

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That is why I suggested only filing with1/2 of the total capacity of the empty can. The filter element will soak up enough of the oil that you don't have spills and it will be mostly full when you start the engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #15
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYguy View Post
^^^^^^ I do that as well. I don't lose much oil at all in the process. I do the same for our tractors and the larger bike, all of which have horizontal oil filters.

Otherwise do it like fdryer suggests. That's the common wisdom for the first crank-over of freshly rebuilt engines. Why wouldn't that be good at oil change times too? Do not ever start it "dry" if you can help it.
The 1 quart filter on my Trooper 2 is mounted upside-down and surrounded by engine wiring. O.E. filters have good anti-drain-back flappers.

Yesterday, I installed a dry K&N oversize filter and cranked the engine over with the "PCM B" fuse and spark plugs removed. The temporary oil pressure gauge started moving at about 10+ seconds total. (Temp gauge in the oil gallery plug adjacent to the end of the starter)

I usually dump some oil into a new filter.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #16
DIYguy
Master Member

1997 SC2

I have never owned a vehicle where it was completely upside down, but I have had several with "cartridge" filters (MBZ and BMW mostly, but the Cruze too), and a couple of them were sort of angled sideways off vertical.

Most of them have anti-drain valves in the filter housings so that you can put the dry cartridge in, fill the housing until the filter soaks up the oil and it almost overflows the housing, then put the cap on.

The cap pushes the cartridge down and opens the valve. The the air bubble purges out quickly but you do start up with a slug of oil. Works like a charm.

Other manufacturers have adopted that very same scheme in the past few years too, mostly on diesel truck engines but I am seeing it on their gasoline car engines now as well. Makes a lot of sense.

No manufacturer wants you to actually start the engine on a dry filter.....!

DIYguy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!