SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How do you wash your Saturn/other cars?
At home, bucket and hose 66 54.55%
Do-it-yourself place 19 15.70%
Automated/robotic place 27 22.31%
I don't wash my car. It's an experiment in dirt build-up. 9 7.44%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 03:47 PM   #1
Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
Default Car Washing

So how do you guys clean your Saturn/other autos?

I use a do-it-yourself place at the local shopping center.

'00 SL2m- DD, 186K miles
'05 Honda CR-V- wife's DD and my upright bass hauler
'84 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk- toy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Twin_Cam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Twin_Cam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2003, 03:52 PM   #2
germ
Advanced Member
germ is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

It depends on what the weather is like. On a nice day during the summer I'll wash it myself at home,or at the do it your self car wash. During the winter though,it's all about Mikes Express Car Wash. They do have the best drying system,and it's only $6.50.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to germ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help germ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2003, 04:30 PM   #3
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Well, I either wash it at home in the summer, on the garage at home in the winter, so i go to a touchless palce in the winter. Funny you post this.. I, along with 6 other drivers, just got done washing our fleet of buses.. and we all ended up doing our own cars. I was about to die though when people started using the brushes on their cars.. I just knock the loose crap off, shoot some soap on it, rinse it off, and be done with it. In the summer he gets a 4-6 hour wash job, but not with all of this salt.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2003, 05:31 PM   #4
swoker183
swoker183 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION Red Line

during the winter ill bring it down to my saturn dealership and have them do it, just to get as much dirt sand and whatnot off. but when the weather is nice, i take a bucket and a sponge and some towels and to it myself

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to swoker183's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help swoker183 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2003, 06:35 PM   #5
ProDarwin
Master Member
ProDarwin is on a distinguished road

I guess I'm the first to say I don't wash my car. I do spray out the wheel wells, and the undercarriage after it gets covered with salt during the winter. I honestly wash the car itself about once every 8 months - a year.

-Travis

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ProDarwin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ProDarwin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2003, 06:48 PM   #6
Phil
Advanced Member
Phil is on a distinguished road

I would vote, but I do numbers 1,2, and 3. I always get it washed shortly after snow melts, and I try to run it through some kind of wash every 2-3 weeks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2003, 06:56 PM   #7
piney
Master Member
piney will become famous soon enoughpiney will become famous soon enough

I hand wash & only use a touchless spray booth thing when on vacation or something. Typically, I use Final Inspection on it between hand washes. The Final keeps it shiny and beading when it rains. I just keep a bunch of old towels for wiping the Final off & keep the Final in a rose-sprayer (the pump up kind), so that it is easy to put on.

The car is garage kept - so it stays pretty darn clean and shiny.

The dealers near here have their own scratch as you go booths that they take your car through. No thanks - those things scratch the living piddle out of a paint's surface.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piney's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piney reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2003, 08:24 PM   #8
pitboss
pitboss is on a distinguished road

Best place to have your Saturn (or other vehicle) washed near Clearwater, Florida...Sunshine brushless car wash near downtown..if its good enough for the picky Lexus and Benz crowd..they do an awesome job, much better than I could do on my own. Worst place..Saturn of Clearwater..they say car washes for life are FREE..and you get what you pay for..from the missed spots to the dirty rag wipedown..it is the only poor service area Iv'e found at my retailer..so I avoid it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pitboss's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pitboss reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2003, 08:32 PM   #9
teal95sl1
teal95sl1 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Well until I became pregnant in November, I every weekend spent one day of the weekend for like 4-5 hours washing and detailing my Saturn inside and out...all by hand and by me..I carry all my car washing and detailing stuff,including a bucket and sponges etc in my trunk..and never leave home without any of it..
and I still don't,the trunk is always loaded hehhe, I've just been too sick(morning sickness or shall I say never ending sickness) to do it lately..but now that the weather is getting nice again and I'm almost out of the getting sick timeperiod(entering month 4)..I plan to once again work alot on cleaning up and keeping it spotless and detailed again.Plus my husband and I are moving from our apartment into our inlaws house for a few months...which is where I normally do the car washing..so now that we'll be there..I can do it more often and easier..

nothing better than a sparkling shiny clean Saturn

Dawn
05 FWD V6 Vue "Dragonfly"
PastSaturns:
01YellowSC2&95AquaSL1
www.outerringperformance.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to teal95sl1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help teal95sl1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2003, 12:01 AM   #10
MyL300
MyL300 is on a distinguished road

being in college, i only have once choice really.

i do it at the diy place with the really big water gun.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MyL300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MyL300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2003, 01:53 AM   #11
jjanigo
jjanigo is on a distinguished road

I go to the DIY places late spring thru early winter, about once a week if I get a chance. Can't really wash at home as I live in an apartment complex, unless I head to mom and dad's. During the winter I use a Holiday station a few blocks from my apartment. They've got a nice touchless carwash and give you $1.50 off with a fuel purchase--highest price wash is $7 (w/ gas purchase) and includes undercarriage flush, presoak, black cherry clearcoat foam, wax, spot free rinse, and a blowdry.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jjanigo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jjanigo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2003, 01:54 AM   #12
Nuke-Em
Nuke-Em is on a distinguished road

I never use car wash places. I always do it myself in the driveway/garage. The cars get washed all the time during the summer...but once I get back to college they get cleaned less than I'd like.

Matt

If God had intended driving to be boring, he would have given us all Toyota's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nuke-Em's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nuke-Em reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2003, 10:17 AM   #13
thatjerryguy
thatjerryguy will become famous soon enoughthatjerryguy will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Thumbs Up

When it's nice out, I'll do it myself. Quite frankly, I find washing my Saturn myself very theraputic and relaxing. In the winter, I take my Saturn to a carwash.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thatjerryguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thatjerryguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2003, 11:11 AM   #14
100KSW2
Master Member
100KSW2 is on a distinguished road

Before I got laid off as a 70 hour a week systems programmer I used to consider keeping my car clean and waxed my "stress reduction". My house isn't as tidy as I'd like, and my life also gets messy at times, so it is one small area I try to keep under control.

After three weeks below the freezing point we are getting two warm days (and some rain) here in Philly before the temperature plunges again. If the rain quits before the cold comes I will wash and maybe even wax my car.

The only time my car has been in a commercial car wash over the past ten years was once after I fractured my leg. I usually don't even let the Saturn service folks wash my car in their booth. It's all about swirls in the paint!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 100KSW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 100KSW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2003, 11:25 AM   #15
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

unless it's freezing outside, i hose and bucket it at home.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2003, 12:11 PM   #16
03VUEAWDVTI
Advanced Member
03VUEAWDVTI is on a distinguished road

Mine gets washed when the rarity occurs that the local no-touch carwash actually works and I need fuel. I don't make a big production of washing the car as I live on a dirt road, and it's an effort in futility.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 03VUEAWDVTI's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 03VUEAWDVTI reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2003, 02:15 PM   #17
erick295
erick295 is on a distinguished road

Either I do it myself in the driveway or I do it myself at one of those wash places if it's too cold. No one touches my car except me

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to erick295's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help erick295 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2003, 07:56 PM   #18
SEVUE2002
SEVUE2002 is on a distinguished road

I prefer hand washing to auto car washes. I've even installed additional lighting in my garage and a heater to facilitate winter time hand washing.

No substitute for hand washed cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SEVUE2002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SEVUE2002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2003, 07:57 PM   #19
ProDarwin
Master Member
ProDarwin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by 03VUEAWDVTI
I don't make a big production of washing the car as I live on a dirt road, and it's an effort in futility.
Ditto. I only wipe the dirt off the rear window. I live on a gravel road and work on a MUD road. My car gets coated with mud (more than you see on MOST SUVs) when it is wet.

-Travis

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ProDarwin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ProDarwin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2003, 01:22 AM   #20
corympak
Advanced Member
corympak is on a distinguished road

Saturn takes care of it for me. I find any little problem I can whenever it is dirty, and schedule a quick appointment.
Last excuse I used was I couldn't use my highbeams, I told them they forgot to install the foot button for the highbeams!

1-2003 Jeep Rubicon
1-Bubble Blowing Lawn Mower

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to corympak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help corympak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread