SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2008, 03:07 PM   #1
aurakr
aurakr is on a distinguished road

Default Airbag issue

I have a 2007 Aura XR, Midnight blue with the Moroccan Leather. Absolutely love the car. Bought it January 2007, only have 9500 miles on it.

Recently, my wife and I noticed an issue with the passenger airbag. When a person sits in the seat, the sensor recognizes the person, turns on the airbag. However, if that person gets out of the car, and the engine is not turned off, the sensor keeps signaling someone is sitting in the seat. Then about 1 mile later, the car starts bonging indicating that the passenger has not fastened their seatbelt.

Has anyone else had this issue? We took the car to the dealer to have it fixed. They had it a few hours, said they replaced the sensor and it worked for a day, then reverted back to the same problem. My wife just dropped off the car again, and we got a rental(from the dealer) while the dealer tries to resolve this issue?

The car will cycle through normally, if you shut off the motor. It is only when it is left running and the passenger exits. The dealer states they have never seen this before.

As always, any suggestions are appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aurakr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aurakr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aurakr is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2008, 03:41 PM   #2
snobrdrdan
Advanced Member
snobrdrdan is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe
Default Re: Airbag issue

Never seen or heard of that before

Are you both "average" sized people??? j/k

The actual sensor itself is just a piece of foam with some wires on it and is on top of the seat foam and underneath the seat skin/covering

The 2006-2007 Ions had that same style sensor standard and the 2007 Ion Redlines were the only year Redlines not to have Recaro seats because the passenger seat had to have an airbag sensor.

I was able to swap the seat sensor to the Recaro seat & have it retrofitted/custom fit, and I never encountered any issues and everything worked properly.

So it could possibly either be the sensor itself in the seat or there is a faulty wiring going to the dash light (which could be wired into the seatbelt sensor/alarm) as well

let us know what the dealer turns up

2009 VW GTI

FRO: 2007 Ion REDLINE -- 8/06-3/08
2008 Aura XR -- 3/08-8/08

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to snobrdrdan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help snobrdrdan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
snobrdrdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:59 PM   #3
youngbishop
youngbishop is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

Yes, I have notice the same thing with my car. I have not taking it in to the dealership yet, just keeping an eye on it. Sometimes it does it and sometimes it does not. I am also trying to see if it is a matter of how long a person sit there. Just trying to gather enough data about it before i take it in, so if the dealership give me any excuses I can kill them. You keep me posted and I will keep you posted.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to youngbishop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help youngbishop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
youngbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 04:13 PM   #4
snobrdrdan
Advanced Member

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

If someone is sitting in the seat & then gets out.....it should only take like
3-5 seconds until the airbag light switches from ON to OFF....there is a slight delay.

I played with it 100's of times (when I did my Recaro swap) to make sure it was working 100% correct.

But if it's staying on when the seat is unoccupied, then yeah there is a problem somewhere

2009 VW GTI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help snobrdrdan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-04-2008, 07:55 PM   #5
aurakr
aurakr is on a distinguished road

A little update.

Yesterday, Thursday, got the rental. Was told by the Service advisor, the part would be here today, Friday.

Called this morning, told part is in, will call us when done. Called 4:40 PM, car not done, part never came in.

I am furious with the service advisor. He claims he never said the part was in, however I went by the dealership around noon to see what was happening, he never bothered to say the part was not in!!!

Having owned Saturns for over 15 years, I am really disappointed in this customer service. However, once the car is fixed, I will have revenge when it comes time for the evaluation. Both my wife and I have noticed a definite slip in the customer service lately.

FWIW, this will greatly affect whether my next vehicle is a Saturn. In 2000, we bought a Chevy Venture LT. Overall pleased with the vehicle, not pleased with the service department. If we buy a Chevy in the future, it will not be from that dealership. Plenty of Chevy dealerships in San Diego.

I must be able to trust the service deparment. Right now, that trust has been shaken. Still love the car, however.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to aurakr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help aurakr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
aurakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 05:57 AM   #6
snobrdrdan
Advanced Member

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

So what part did they order, or what are they fixing/replacing???

Yeah that sucks about what they told you, but you are correct in that you can get "revenge" on the surveys.

Then if you do give a bad survey, you'll usually get a call from either the Service Manager or the regional Saturn rep. asking you what went wrong, etc.

2009 VW GTI

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-21-2010, 11:56 PM   #7
Meatonn
Meatonn will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE
Dazed Passenger Airbag Staying On After Seat Empty

Having the same problem. After a passenger gets out, the Passenger Airbag On light stays lit and the passenger seat belt light flashes. After a mile or so, it dings at me telling me that the passenger seat belt isn't fastened. After ten miles since the passenger got out, the Passenger Airbag On Light is still on when I parked my car.

Has anyone else had this problem? Did Saturn fix it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Meatonn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Meatonn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Meatonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:16 AM   #8
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

,y daughter had an aura that did the same thing. i think it needs to be reflashed or something like that. thats what the dealer told her anyway. also unfortunatly saturn doesnt much care about what you buy next time or the customer service survey as there is no saturn anymore.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:10 PM   #9
Seasoned
Seasoned is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2004 ION-2 Quad Coupe

I have had the same issue, after a long journey (About 300 miles), I drop off my colleague at his house, not turning off the ignition. He undoes seatbelt, gets out, closes door I drive off. Within 5 seconds I am getting an audible warning (never thought to look at the airbag light). It repeats the warning for about 5 minutes, then goes away, never comes back.
I am assuming the cars computer resets after I switch off after getting home.
The strange thing is it only happens when my colleague is riding with me and the only thing that could be partially unusual is he weighs on the slightly plus side of 250 lbs, so maybe weight is a factor!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Seasoned's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Seasoned reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Seasoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:23 PM   #10
gregh2000
gregh2000 has a spectacular aura aboutgregh2000 has a spectacular aura about

2007 AURA XR

I have brought my wife to work on several occasions and when I drop her off she gets out shuts the door then a few seconds later the light goes to off. Mine works like it should. I have dropped many people off like at the airport and it always clicks off a few seconds after the door closes. Not sure if it is tied to the door circuit or anything fancy like that. No problems with my 07 XR.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gregh2000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gregh2000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gregh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:51 PM   #11
metgol
metgol is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

I was getting this problem before. Incidently it hasn't occured once since I installed my aftermarket car stereo.

98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to metgol's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help metgol reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
metgol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:27 AM   #12
Firewalker
Firewalker is on a distinguished road

Yep, me too! Same scenario, wife got out, still had the motor running. The seat belt light for the passenger came on, as did the dinging chime informing me that the passenger air bag was on, that someone was sitting there without their safety belt.

It isn't a huge deal to me as I don't often have passengers, this does not happen unless someone gets out of the passenger seat before the motor is shut off. Weird.

Only 2 more months left with my 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty. That said, I LOVE this car.

If anyone has a fix I would love to hear it!

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Firewalker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Firewalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Firewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:51 AM   #13
billwill
billwill is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Since you're still under warranty, take it to your dealer! Or at least a Chevrolet dealer; Chevy parts are interchangeable on Saturns.

My 2007 Aura XR passenger sensor stopped working in April of this year when I had about 34,000 miles on the car. My dealer found the sensor had failed and replaced it free of charge. In fact, the technician replacing the sensor broke the plastic shroud at the bottom of the passenger seat and scratched the leather removing it. My dealer replaced the entire leather seat! It took about 10 days to get the new seat in but they gave me a brand-new 2010 Chevy Malibu to drive. Great service.

Definitely get it checked by your dealer! Heaven knows what it will cost to replace since they have to remove the seat, etc. Labor will be high.

Best of luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billwill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billwill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:47 PM   #14
Firewalker
Firewalker is on a distinguished road

Your absolutely right! I will! Thanks for the advice.

I STILL really dig this car. My wife has a Lexus es300 and I like the saturn better!

Good stuff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Firewalker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Firewalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Firewalker is offline   Reply With Quote