SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2008, 11:32 PM   #1
MacG
MacG is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
Default EGR and then some...

Greetings All,

I have been working on the jerking when coasting/light accelerating issue. To test the EGR I reached under the EGR and pressed up on the diaphragm and the engine stumbled. So the ports are clear. Then I got out the vacuum pump and attached it to the EGR and the engine stumbled again but the vacuum applied leaked down as quickly as it was pulled. Is this normal, is the EGR diaphram torn?

Secondly I am attaching a pic of the vacuum tubes on the throttle body. When I was replacing the PCV hose, I heard what sounded like a vacuum leak and Lo when I pulled (lightly) on these little guys, one broke so I am wondering what is connected to.

Well I guess that I am not uploading the file as it is too big So the (3) hoses/tubes that are on the top of the throttle body and drop below the intake are the ones that I am asking about. The one closest to the valve cover as it enters the throttle body is the one that I broke looking for the vacuum leak.

thanks,

MacG

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MacG's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MacG reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2008, 11:48 PM   #2
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2
Default Re: EGR and then some...

Unfortunetly, no ones going to post on your thread bc you have not posted your vitals. any help given with out that is just a waste of time and educated guesses Always post your vitals

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:24 AM   #3
ringed1
ringed1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

If your car's EGR valve won't hold vacuum, it's defective. I got a new OEM one (in a Niehoff box) from PartsAmerica.com a few months ago for around $60. Some folks have good luck getting them from junkyards.
No way of knowing what the tube went to without more description, but if you need to replace that, Autozone has small coils of that emissions tube for about $5.00.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ringed1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ringed1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ringed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:02 AM   #4
MacG

1992 SL2

Ringed 1, din't you get RC 1488's message that nobody would reply?

My apologies for lack of verbal stats. Since a picture is worth a thousand words and I could not upload it the rest of the words stayed in my brain So I have a 92 sl2 mantran abs.

Thanks for the EGR info. Now I just need to be sure my vacuum thingy holds a vacuum.

MacG

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MacG's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MacG reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-20-2008, 11:08 PM   #5
MacG

1992 SL2

Well,

Finally got a small enough picture to upload so you can see what I was talking about on my '92 SL2 man tran abs.

What does the broken tube in the pic supply vacuum to?

Thanks,
MacG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iNTAKE TUBES.JPG (38.5 KB, 94 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MacG's Reputation
Old 02-21-2008, 07:14 AM   #6
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

It either goes to the carbon cannister purge solenoid down behind the starter or it goes to the FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator). Probably the CCPS.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:24 AM   #7
harley2003
harley2003 has a spectacular aura aboutharley2003 has a spectacular aura aboutharley2003 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL1

You can pull the plastic pipe out of the black retaining clip on the throttle body it's pretty easy to fix I did with mine works great now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to harley2003's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help harley2003 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
harley2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 03:59 PM   #8
MacG

1992 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley2003 View Post
You can pull the plastic pipe out of the black retaining clip on the throttle body it's pretty easy to fix I did with mine works great now.
Harley,

What glue did you use?

Thanks,
MacG

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MacG's Reputation
Old 02-22-2008, 04:03 PM   #9
fishmed
fishmed is on a distinguished road

i had a guy at autozone cut me one out of windshield wiper tubing... and so i decided i would try a pressure test to see which could take more and believe it or not the windshield wiper tubing won... so that is an idea for you 2 try

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fishmed's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fishmed reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fishmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 05:41 PM   #10
harley2003
harley2003 has a spectacular aura aboutharley2003 has a spectacular aura aboutharley2003 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
Harley,

What glue did you use?

Thanks,
MacG
I did not use any glue just push it in and it should stay in place after all its vacuum .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help harley2003 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-27-2008, 12:28 AM   #11
MacG

1992 SL2

So this is where it stands for my 92 SL2 Man tran ABS broken line issue.

In picture "missing pipe" I show where and which pipe broke. Saturn informs me that hese three pipes are molded into the molded piece that clips onto the throttle body and originally came as one unit. There are no longer made and all stock has been depleted. Auto recycler time or MacGyver it. The second picture "Pipe replaced" shows my fix. The epoxy dint hold hence the redo.

With the pipes being brittle I chose to cut the two good ones for fear of breaking them trying to get the broken flush piece out of the molded clip piece. I hand spun a sharp 1/8" drill bit (6" long to give something to grip) into the plastic pipe taking little pieces out until it got be about half way in. Then it bit tight enough to extract the the remaining piece. Taking a small section of the remaining pipe I pushed it tight into the clip piece. I cut small sections of vacuum tube and spliced them all together as in the photo. The last thing to do was clip the pipe near the IAC utilizing te factory 90 degree boot. This allows for clearance for the throttle cam to rotate w/o hanging up on the rerouted vacuum tube.

Now I still have the bucking that comes with a bad ECTS but that is new as is the fan sensor, as it was running all the time. Now it idles higher on cold start like it is supposed to (at least I think it is supposed to...) but it still jerks me around. The EGR operates and the ports are clear. New Auto lite standard plugs gapped at .040. I stated earlier that my EGR don't hold a vacuum. I bought a new EGR (not installed yet) and re-tested my existing EGR and they behave the same. So I am not sure it's the EGR. Now I have a GRRR

Any more Ideas? I am thinking that maybe the IAC is goofy. What's the test for that?

Thanks Guys,

MacG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Missing pipe.jpg (87.9 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg Pipe replaced.jpg (101.2 KB, 126 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MacG's Reputation
Old 02-27-2008, 12:55 AM   #12
harley2003

2002 SL1

Nice job.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!