SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech

Old 06-09-2020, 11:32 AM   #1
DCAlden
DCAlden is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Where is the Astra blower motor resistor?

My 2008 Astra XR blower motor will only work on the 4th position “high”. The air conditioning will only activate on high (the little light on the ac switch only comes on when the fan is set to high).

I assume that the blower resistor is at fault but I don’t know where it is. I seem to remember reading that it is a pain to replace. I have also read that a clogged cabin air filter can cause the resistor to fail.

I did find a receipt from the previous owner that the blower resistor was replaced in Feb. 2019. They charged $180.00 for the resistor and $40.00 labor. Seems mighty high to me.

So if anyone can tell me where the resistor is, how to replace it, and what I should reasonably expect to pay for the part I would be very appreciative!
DCAlden is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2020, 12:03 PM   #2
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: Where is the Astra blower motor resistor?

Behind the glove box, mounted the HVAC housing. $80-135 on Rockauto.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 2008 Astra blower motor resistor.gif (37.0 KB, 5 views)
2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 12:42 PM   #3
AstraFasta
Advanced Member
AstraFasta has a spectacular aura aboutAstraFasta has a spectacular aura about

Search my posts for some more information. Then do more detailed research on the internet.

Odd that your resistor blew twice within 18 months; maybe the core issue was not fixed. If the cabin air filter is very clogged with leaves that is a likely culprit. Has it been raining a lot near you recently; if so maybe water corroded motor bearings. Else it might be bad wiring/connectors. A few people have issues with the fan speed control pot but that is unusual. Maybe something else.

The blower resistor typically goes due to clogged airfilter. But there are other failure modes. Take the fan out and make sure it is clean, bearings look good and it spins well. Inspect all the related wiring and connectors for any damage or oxidation. It is possible water is ingressing from the firewall to the blower motor causing issues.

My blower motor resistor blew twice. Second time was from water that froze inside the fan on a cold winter night. I can't remember if the first time was from clogged cabin air filter or water corroding the motor bearing.

I fixed my resistor for a few cents by replacing the fuseable resistor. If you don't know electronics, it is safer to buy a used or new resistor as this helps prevent fire! Once I found used resistor for $10 at a junkyard.

My work also included new cabin air filter, disassembling motor and cleaning/relubricating the blower motor, removing the poorly installed plastic fresh air intake at the firewall; I clipped it in properly and sealed with silicone. No problems since.

The resistor is very difficult to remove in cold weather as the plastics are hard. Much easier job in warm weather.

The $40 labor was very reasonable! Rock Auto has the blower resistor for $80.
AstraFasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 12:42 PM   #4
DCAlden
DCAlden is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

OK, thank you very much! Quite an expensive resistor!
DCAlden is offline   Reply With Quote