SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 07-07-2022, 08:45 PM   #1
twigg1012
twigg1012 is a jewel in the roughtwigg1012 is a jewel in the roughtwigg1012 is a jewel in the rough

Default A/C Controls no longer working

Just bought a 2008 Aura with manual A/C controls, only 88k miles. The A/C worked on the test drive fine but after I got it back from the mechanic to have some suspension issues sorted, the controls no longer work at all.

Fan does not come on. No lights come on when I press any of the buttons on the air control/conditioning module. I CAN hear the defroster relay click on though when I hit that button, but the light next to the button does not come on.

Should I just replace the controls? Is there anything else to look at? I checked out the fuses in the passenger side interior and they looked fine.
twigg1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2022, 04:31 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: A/C Controls no longer working

Checked for blown fuses in the engine bay?
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 03:00 PM   #3
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

There are 3 HVAC related fuses in the instrument panel fuse block and 1 in the engine compartment fuse block. Best to test each of them. I've seen many burned out fuses still look OK visually.
Here are the fuse block diagrams:
https://www.autogenius.info/saturn-a...e-box-diagram/
2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd (Retired)
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 03:40 PM   #4
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

If the fuses are good, then reading the HVAC codes with a capable code reader might point you to the source of the problem.
Old 07-09-2022, 06:50 PM   #5
twigg1012
twigg1012 is a jewel in the roughtwigg1012 is a jewel in the roughtwigg1012 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaddicted2u View Post
If the fuses are good, then reading the HVAC codes with a capable code reader might point you to the source of the problem.
Thanks, I swapped around all the fuses and no dice, replaced the controls and no difference either. Would autozone have the HVAC code checking function? My reader only checks engine + ABS codes
Old 07-10-2022, 08:05 AM   #6
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

I read a posts in a couple of websites that detailed the same issue and changing the fuses and controls didn't fix the issue. Unfortunately none detailed a solution.
I'm pretty sure the Autozone code reader would have the same functionality as the one you have. Best to find someone with a TechII scanner or other unit with similar capabilities.
Not really sure where you go from here. If I find anything I'll post back. If you find a solution please post it.
Old 07-11-2022, 07:23 AM   #7
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

I did some more digging. The HVAC controller module is a GMLAN device that communicates on the low speed data bus, so if it lost it's communication or connection to the GMLAN it would not operate. Since the fuses are good and the controller has been changed, this is the likely cause of your issue.
Old 08-01-2022, 11:14 PM   #8
twigg1012

An update for everyone. I presume this only applies to me, but I'm posting anyway.

We had the dealership diagnose it and originally they said they needed to buy a new BCM + ECM (I think)

After 3 weeks of no response I called and inquired further, according to them the "BCM and connector were both corroded". Seemed strange to me, I didn't see anything when I glanced at the panel in the the passenger footwell.

I investigated further and after reading the wiring diagram, found the wire that supplied power to the A/C controls was completely out of the connector/harness. (Red with black line)

I properly reinstalled the pin by removing the Blue "keeper" for the connector and installing the wire + pin, then reinstalling the keeper. Voila, my A/c worked. As a side note, the location in the connector on the BCM where the pin was missing was marked with a sharpie, so someone knew where it belonged.

My theory is the wire wasn't fully in the harness and the tech was too incompetent to install it properly, that or they wanted my $1200. It worked when I purchased the car, not sure how it worked it's way afterwards

It's clear there was some ****ery going on from the previous owner, either for a custom radio or something similar.

I am disappointed with my local Chevy dealer.
Old 08-02-2022, 08:34 AM   #9
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

Interesting solution. The wire must have been just hanging on. I didn't have much luck with the local GM dealer. Complained to the GM head office. They sent me a free oil change certificate. I sent it back The GM rep called me and said she never had a free oil change returned and that I could use the certificate at any dealer. No dice for me, next nearest dealer is 4 hours away.
Lots of people have issues with the local dealer. My neighbor bought a brand new GMC truck, he got the first oil change done at the dealer, next morning there was a puddle of oil under it. The "GM Tech" forgot to tighten the filter. Lots of stories, and worse, about this dealer.
Old 08-04-2022, 09:48 PM   #10
Kadooment
Kadooment is a jewel in the roughKadooment is a jewel in the roughKadooment is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XR

My Aura just had this same exact problem start this week. Tried replacing all the fuses and the HVAC relay in the fuse box to no avail. Opened this forum with the intent to post asking for help and sure enough this was the most recent thread in the Aura section and the exact same problem. Saw what you wrote and thought to myself "huh, that would actually make sense considering mine started by occasionally flickering on and off when I'd go over bumps until it completely stopped a couple days ago." Went out and started my car and played with the wire a little bit and sure enough it started working again. Have no idea what the odds are that this happened to both of us in the span of a month because I feel like it should be exceptionally rare but thank you so much for posting your solution!
Kadooment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 08:26 AM   #11
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member

2008 AURA XE

Amazing, What a coincidence...buy a lottery ticket.