SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 08-16-2022, 12:50 PM   #1
elhmiller
elhmiller is on a distinguished road

Dizzy 2000 LW1 replacement engine

Just learned from the shop that the timing chain slack led to engine failure on our 2000 LW1. Repair cost estimate is $4800 for an engine with 121K miles. Our car had 162K on the original engine and suddenly failed one cold winter day. What are your thoughts on replacing original engine with this replacement and what other systems should I have evaluated prior to undertaking this costly repair?
elhmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2022, 12:51 AM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: 2000 LW1 replacement engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhmiller View Post
Just learned from the shop that the timing chain slack led to engine failure on our 2000 LW1. Repair cost estimate is $4800 for an engine with 121K miles. Our car had 162K on the original engine and suddenly failed one cold winter day. What are your thoughts on replacing original engine with this replacement and what other systems should I have evaluated prior to undertaking this costly repair?
I consider that the ECOTEC 2.2L engine is a fine engine and can last a long time when well maintained. So I would have no qualms about this kind of engine swap. The question for us all is are the trade-offs more or less advantageous to us if we spend money on the engine versus purchasing a used car? No one can fully answer that question except for the one in this situation.

As for "other systems" needing evaluation I would consider the transmission and how it was performing, and also how well the air conditioning system was cooling the interior. These are the other two most expensive components/systems related to the engine under the hood. At your mileage I had replaced the front and rear struts and sway bar links, and replaced the upper and lower control arm to rear wheel knuckle bushings. Hopefully, yours are still in good condition.
377K miles - Holy canolli!
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weaker military; more terrorism; emboldened RED CHINA. Sadly, B & H are proving me correct...too bad... now Russia?!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 10:10 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I had to replace my 3.0L V6 with only 110k miles when the timing belt broke. . At first, my go-to repair shop said engines don't exist until I mentioned engines were available. He found a low mileage replacement and estimated approximately $3500(?) while I did the math on a new or used car. In this pandemic, car prices skyrocketed to ridiculous numbers so I considered a new Subaru CrossTrek (($25k). Replacing the engine was my best choice although I was prepared for a Subaru.

Your $4800 for another engine seems higher than it should be. Perhaps asking around may reduce this to a more reasonable cost.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 09:11 PM   #4
born again
born again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to all

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
I had to replace my 3.0L V6 with only 110k miles when the timing belt broke. . At first, my go-to repair shop said engines don't exist until I mentioned engines were available. He found a low mileage replacement and estimated approximately $3500(?) while I did the math on a new or used car. In this pandemic, car prices skyrocketed to ridiculous numbers so I considered a new Subaru CrossTrek (($25k). Replacing the engine was my best choice although I was prepared for a Subaru.

Your $4800 for another engine seems higher than it should be. Perhaps asking around may reduce this to a more reasonable cost.
Fred, Saturn had a 100k mile interval on the belt for the 3.0. Saab with the same engine said 60k miles. Had you replaced the belt? The benefit of the chain on the 2.2 is that it announces it is worn before it breaks (usually). I now have done 2X chain jobs on these engines myself.
born again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 10:06 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

As a matter of fact, the timing belt was replaced just before 100k miles. It was fine for about a year until the replacement one broke.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote