SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General

Old 07-03-2022, 03:07 AM   #1
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Difficulty removing intake camshaft rear bearing cap

I'm working on replacing the valve lashes (lifters) in the cylinder head. The camshafts have to be removed in order to install the new valve lashes. However, I'm stumped in removing the intake camshaft since the very last camshaft bearing cap appears to be stuck in place. This cap is also the upper half of the power steering pump mounting at the rear of the cylinder head. The lower mounting surface is molded into the cylinder head. Lastly, the intake shaft is longer so that it can drive the power steering pump at its end.

From the FSM it appears that this cap mounts onto two guides through which its mounting bolts also travel. I cannot remove it by hand whatsoever. I have tapped it lightly with a hammer, or hammer and punch to break something loose, but with no success. I can pass a safety razor between the cap and the valve cover gasket surface. While that is helpful to know, I'm considering purchasing the smallest size of a chisel - if it can be found - to separate that rear cap in spite of the fact that it may damage the surface of cyl. head.

If anyone has an idea regarding how this part can be removed from the head then I'd be most glad to learn of it!
374K miles - Holy canolli!
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weaker military; more terrorism; emboldened RED CHINA. Sadly, B & H are proving me correct...too bad... now Russia?!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2022, 07:17 PM   #2
jzchen
jzchen is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Difficulty removing intake camshaft rear bearing cap

See post #2:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66556
jzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 03:03 PM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I actually got it off based on a recommendation from an employee at Mission Ace Hardware in my town. He suggested use of a light mallet and a wood block with some lubricant (vibration and lubrication [as he described it]). With some patience, striking from differing locations it finally broke free. What was problematic had to do with the guides holding the end cap in place. The one on the intake side broke free first. Once enough space had opened between the head and the cap I could slowly and gently pry it upward. Thanks for the reply, JZ!
Biden/Harris predictions, '21 -'25: weak economy; weaker military; more terrorism; emboldened RED CHINA. Sadly, B & H are proving me correct...too bad... now Russia?!
Old 07-14-2022, 12:33 AM   #4
02 LW300
Advanced Member
02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

How is your project going?
2002 L200/5 Loaded, over 1/4 million miles!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 09:54 PM   #5
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 LW300 View Post
How is your project going?
Well, I made a mess of it. In brief, I caused a collision of valves and pistons and lost compression. I will discuss that incident later. Presently, I've swapped out my original engine with a donor from an L200. My difficulty at the moment with the swap is getting the flex plate lined up correctly with the torque converter. As you might expect I'm performing all of the work from ground level. (The thought of having a lift to work with in this instance makes me wish that I had space to own one.) I'll start a new thread some time later to discuss the engine swap in more detail.

02 LW300, if you have any suggestions as to an accurate manner of lining up the flex plate and the torque converter I'd be most happy and appreciative to read it!
Old 07-17-2022, 12:06 PM   #6
02 LW300
Advanced Member
02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I will go out and look at a flex plate and get back to you.
Old 07-17-2022, 12:30 PM   #7
02 LW300
Advanced Member

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

There are three bolt holes for the torque converter in the flexplate. One is oblong and the other two are round. You need to install the first bolt in the oblong hole, then the round holes will line up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F7B8743C-C4E9-48E4-A59B-A304D2ADA1CE.jpg (79.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 108EEE57-CA0C-45CE-88D0-10DD55920FCE.jpg (150.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 07-17-2022, 03:37 PM   #8
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Thank you very much!! I had noticed that there was an oblong shaped mounting hole on the flex plate. It helps to know what I'm looking for to get this back together!
Old 07-31-2022, 06:13 PM   #9
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrot View Post
Well, I made a mess of it. In brief, I caused a collision of valves and pistons and lost compression. I will discuss that incident later.
So what went wrong so as to cause the valve and piston collision? Simply, I failed to lay the exhaust camshaft correctly after installing the lifters (lashes) and then turned the cams too far after I experiencing resistance. (The intake lifters were not yet installed. Due to other unrelated concerns I was going to put that off for another time.) I should've stopped turning the cams once resistance was noted but I did not. The result was a hard release which allowed some extra rotation, but nothing more.

I had not studied the pages in the FSM well enough regarding how to reposition the camshaft in this repair. After all was put back together I attempted to start the engine hoping that perhaps I hadn't damaged anything... a vain hope. I could clearly tell by the sound created in that moment that internal damage had occurred and, of course, the engine would not start. The sound quality was familiar to me through places I'd worked at in the past - a kind of "wheezing." This was a dumb error. No one else to blame but me.

The next event was to find a decent used engine to install. Thanks to a business/personal contact through my brother an engine was found at a trusted wrecking yard. The used engine was $657.00 including tax. There was little point in repairing the original head or the whole engine as it was consuming excess oil due to blow-by. Oil was lining the intake snorkel. A head repair or a full engine repair would be worth more than the car because of depreciation. So I went into an engine swap job. (Good grief, what was I about to get myself into??) http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...11#post2376011
Old 08-01-2022, 12:24 AM   #10
02 LW300
Advanced Member

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

We are kind of in the same boat with these cars. I have tons of spares and grandchildren that need 30 mpg cars. I have a running 3.0 and a good 3.0 transmission if I ever find another nice low mile one that needs an engine.
The last nice v6 one I found had all the parts the fix three four cylinder cars I had so apart it came. I have made contact on a leather Lw300 with a bad engine, so far not really interested in talking about selling it, must like it sitting in his yard. He drives an S model Saturn currently. Glad you got your car running again.