SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

View Poll Results: Did I get a good deal?
Paid way too much!! 10 12.20%
A little high 29 35.37%
Just about right 28 34.15%
Great Deal! 16 19.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-28-2020, 06:30 AM   #181
ZedNielsen
ZedNielsen is on a distinguished road

Default Re: New to Saturn

Quote:
"I like Bridgestones, Michelins, & Continentals for winter tires. So, likely one of them."
Same here, man. Same here. I've bought a couple of those for our Saturn S-series, while I also have a clear bias towards ironman tires, those are the ones I use for my truck whenever I'm not using the Saturn.
ZedNielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2020, 06:44 PM   #182
Chris Arnold
Chris Arnold is a glorious beacon of lightChris Arnold is a glorious beacon of lightChris Arnold is a glorious beacon of lightChris Arnold is a glorious beacon of lightChris Arnold is a glorious beacon of lightChris Arnold is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Arnold on 28 OCT 19 View Post
Now at 179,953. The quoted post was almost 1 year ago on the nose, and incidentally that was 36k miles ago. She just keeps taking 'em like a champ.

I'm updating with another oil change today, and unfortunately I have a new problem. A couple weeks ago, I started getting the low coolant light. Yet, there's no discernible leak, no problem with the windows fogging or sweet smell in the interior, no white smoke from the exhaust.

I noticed that when I filled the reservoir, it would be back to the bottom of the reservoir within a couple days. Then, I started keeping a gallon of coolant in the car with me, in case I noticed it overheating. I drove it all last week without running out of coolant but with the low coolant light on. I pulled the reservoir today just to see if there were any obvious signs of a crack or puncture but found nothing. It kinda has me stumped.

My best theory at this point is that perhaps the reservoir cap is not maintaining pressure and the water is just boiling off. So, I've decided to replace the cap and hope for the best. About to put one on order.
Chris Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:01 PM   #183
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Back in post#144, you bought a set of tire chains (actually cables) for snow country (where required). Did you ever use them and any comments about their use?

If your coolant cap weakened to allow coolant out from lower pressure, you'd notice it more in summer weather with ac use as underhood temps are higher. The temperature gauge should reflect a noticeable change from normal too if coolant boiled out. Either Charles or Boyle's Law is applicable for a sealed cooling system (fixed volume, temperature and pressure are directly proportional). A leak would imply pressure and temperature rising as pressure bleeds while rising since the system isn't holding rated pressure. It's presumed pressure rises above system rated pressure with a corresponding rise in temperature with the needle showing movement beyond it normal position. A more accurate way would be knowing normal (baseline) operating temps and present temps with coolant loss.

I'd suspect water pump bearing failure resulting in coolant leaking. Removing the serpentine belt and rocking the water pump pulley will either reveal zero play or noticeable play (suggesting bearing wear/coolant leakage). A weep hole with dried coolant residue may be a tell tale indicator. Other places for leaks would be coolant hoses and radiator fittings. The side tanks of radiators rupture around the xmission cooling lines, especially the top fitting. Many members have snapshots of xmission fitting damage with coolant leaking nearby.

Although I have never used it, a coolant testing kit may be the best way to pressurize a cold system to eliminate scalding from hot coolant inspection. A hand held air pump, pressure gauge and various fittings to adapt to most cooling systems with another adapter to test pressure caps. Autozone or Advance Auto loaners.
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:52 PM   #184
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a glorious beacon of lightWaiex191 is a glorious beacon of lightWaiex191 is a glorious beacon of lightWaiex191 is a glorious beacon of lightWaiex191 is a glorious beacon of light

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Florescent die and a blacklight may help you find the leak. The coolant will disappear but the dye will stick around until you clean it off.
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:20 AM   #185
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

wrap and tape a clean, dry paper towel under the cap. Check for moisture after a long drive. If it is taped/wrapped snugly enough, the towel will catch even hot, pressurized vapor escaping the cap.

Or just buy a new cap for a few bucks and see if it stops, like you planned
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote