SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
sleepy305
sleepy305 is on a distinguished road

Default P2138 how to correct ??

P2138 Throttle/ Pedal Postition Sensor/ Switch D/E Voltage Correlation

Hello all.. I have a 2004 Vue. can anyone advise how to correct this fault code. is this something I can do, or does this need to be sent to the shop? As I drive the check eng. light comes on then another right above it. Once this happens the car acceleration drops and I need to turn off the engine then restart. Sometimes this corrects and I am able to drive, but other times both lights come on and I cannot accelerate? This becomes very fustrating especially during rush hour.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sleepy305's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sleepy305 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sleepy305 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2010, 03:07 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: P2138 how to correct ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy305 View Post
P2138 Throttle/ Pedal Postition Sensor/ Switch D/E Voltage Correlation

Hello all.. I have a 2004 Vue. can anyone advise how to correct this fault code. is this something I can do, or does this need to be sent to the shop? As I drive the check eng. light comes on then another right above it. Once this happens the car acceleration drops and I need to turn off the engine then restart. Sometimes this corrects and I am able to drive, but other times both lights come on and I cannot accelerate? This becomes very fustrating especially during rush hour.
I've attached service manual extracts for 2.2L and V6 - appears to be minor differences here and there.

Use this link to see how frustrating (and expensive) troubleshooting throttle-by-wire system can be. Of course, it could also be just a dirty (corroded) contact somewhere.

http://saturnfans3.saturnfans.com/~s...d.php?t=150660
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 04 Vue - 2.2L P2138.pdf (138.9 KB, 195 views)
File Type: pdf 04 Vue - V6 P2138.pdf (98.2 KB, 100 views)

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:41 PM   #3
hoffman_BMX89
hoffman_BMX89 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

has ayone figured this out i am having the same problem but only if i let the car sit out in the rain for a day or two and then it will go away if i let it sit in the sun for a day. can someone please help me this problem is so annoying

1997 Sl2 447000km sold
1998 Sl2 278000km sold
2005 Vue 178000km current car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoffman_BMX89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoffman_BMX89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoffman_BMX89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 11:08 PM   #4
Routs
Routs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffman_BMX89 View Post
has ayone figured this out i am having the same problem but only if i let the car sit out in the rain for a day or two and then it will go away if i let it sit in the sun for a day. can someone please help me this problem is so annoying
My wife and I had several codes come up for quite a while since we bought our Vue used almost 3 years ago. It was always more pronounced when it was damp or especially humid out.

What I finally did was I removed the electric connector to the throttle body and sprayed it very liberally with a drying agent (available in any auto parts store). I sprayed both the male and female ends of the connector and left it sit for about 15 minutes.

Next, I sprayed both connectors again with a silicone grease spray and reconnected them. This way, I knew the metal was completely free of any moisture and that the silicone would impede any further moisture from entering.

So far, so good. In your case, I'm not saying it is this specific connector but it almost assuredly is an electrical connection that is letting moisture get in. I'd start my trouble shooting that way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Routs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Routs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Routs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:40 PM   #5
youknowme
youknowme is on a distinguished road

THere should be a message in every owners manual that says if you have problems when its wet or damp, then water is getting in somewhere its not supposed to. WD-40 and some electrical contact grease should do the trick.

I once watched my idiot neighbor pour nearly 2 quarts EXTRA oil into a car that wouldn't start after a night of rain. I tried to help, but when I asked if he checked for spark, he looked at me like I was an alien that had just beamed down and was speaking something in an alien language- or perhaps just German.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to youknowme's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help youknowme reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
youknowme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
padenw
padenw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffman_BMX89 View Post
has anyone figured this out i am having the same problem but only if i let the car sit out in the rain for a day or two and then it will go away if i let it sit in the sun for a day. can someone please help me this problem is so annoying
I had the same problem. The sun roof drain hose had come off, and it drip water down into the connectors. I dried the connections and it started working just fine. I had to super glue the the drain tube back to the front drain hole on the sunroof. Easy 2 minute fix just had to take of the plastic cover to the A-frame of the windshield

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to padenw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help padenw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
padenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Most likely the APP (accelerator pedal position) sensor is having a problem with the moisture. On the VUE it is sensitive to any moisture, and moisture can lead to corrosion on the wiring connectors, and or inside the sensor.

You can try cleaning it out with some contact cleaner, but they may need to be replaced.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:08 PM   #8
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

http://www.fixya.com/cars/t9648281-3_questionable_codes

Here's a link with testing procedures, and replacement instructions...

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:13 AM   #9
Routs
Routs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
http://www.fixya.com/cars/t9648281-3_questionable_codes

Here's a link with testing procedures, and replacement instructions...
Outstanding BobbyP! We've been battling with this issue on our white '02 Vue since we bought it in 2007. The problem kept coming and going and I could never solve the issue. My wife mostly used to use that Vue for her short commute to and from work so it was never a big issue. This summer my wife let my buy a '99 Mustang GT as my summer car and in return I gave her my '06 Vue and took her '02 as a winter vehicle.

My commute is quite a bit longer than hers and I wanted to finally figure out how to solve this problem. I haven't been on the site in a long time and then stumbled on this. Now I know what I'm working on tomorrow morning on my day off. At least now I can diagnose whether I need a new app sensor or not. I hate buying something just for the sake of it.

Thanks a million man!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Routs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Routs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Routs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 05:47 PM   #10
banban73
banban73 is on a distinguished road

Did anyone fix the code P2138 in the Saturn vue i have the same problem how can i fix it my email is jrgrajales73@yahoo.com .i will appreciate any help

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to banban73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help banban73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
banban73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:45 PM   #11
Pitbull325
Pitbull325 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

My 2006 Ion 2.2 threw this code. My floor board under the drivers side flooded due to the sunroof drain line. All I had to do was remove the kick plate and dry out the sensor located there. It's a large grey box with about 20 pins. Open the blue connector and open it up. Dry with compressed air and add electric grease. I haven't had time to find my leak yet but my car has not gone into limp mode since. Hope this helps someone. Apparently this is a common occurrence as there is a service bulletin on the GM tech website.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitbull325's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitbull325 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitbull325 is offline   Reply With Quote