SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #1
jmelvin8
jmelvin8 has a spectacular aura aboutjmelvin8 has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Dazed Speedometer/odometer not working, OBD showing all codes

I recently had went out of town. Upon arrival to my 2001 Saturn L300 3.0L everything seemed to be fine, until two days later. The battery had for some reason decided to quit after I drove her a couple days after my arrival. So, I had changed the battery and when I did my speedometer/odometer were not working anymore. So I checked to see if it was a fuse, no luck.
Then I thought maybe I should check the OBD, just in case it was something more major. Well I guess it is major, because it had shown all codes. Is this a BCM issue or is my computer toast? Thanks in advance!! Also my emissions is coming up and this isn't always the best position to be in before such a situation.

PS: I also had seen that there was a specialty recall for the BCM in my VIN range, but I am not included in that recall. I checked with two GM dealers with my VIN and they said it wasn't included in the BCM specialty recall.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jmelvin8's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jmelvin8 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jmelvin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Speedometer/odometer not working, OBD showing all codes

Is the MIL/CEL indicator ON? This is the engine symbol in yellow. If on when the engine's running then error codes are stored for immediate retrieval. Battery replacement and the check engine light are coincidental and not a battery caused problem. There are two ways to address this - either panic or try some simple checks to find out why a sudden list of error codes pop up. The easiest check is to remove and inspect fuses in three places, in the engine area and right/left foot wells after removing plastic access panels. Each panel has a fuse puller tool. Removing fuses are the only way to see blown elements. Fuse inspection will eliminate power failure in electronics that can generate false error codes.

Search threads within the L-series to become familiar with bcm failures and symptoms. Error codes with a 'P' prefix are usually emissions control related - failing state emission inspection automatically if not corrected. Retrieve all error codes for listing here and Googling if you need to find their definitions. Refrain from manually resetting error codes; near inspection, a manual reset forces the emissions parameters to default factory conditions requiring at least a 50 mile 'drive cycle' to allow all on board emissions testing to fulfill restoring parameters before 'readiness monitors' go to 'pass', allowing state inspection to pass. The check engine light may be off but emissions self tests are performed every time the engine is started, car driven. Continually resetting the check engine light simply forces the emissions tests to start from the beginning, prolonging completion. All repairs and corrections are detected automatically by the on board diagnostics that know which repairs corrects an issue to erase each error code and put them into a 'pending' file that requires the drive cycle to complete testing. Some tests need three engine cycles free of the same error before the light turns off to ensure no one is manually resetting computers. Others need only one engine start to erase an error code.

If you determine your bcm failed then there are two choices; used bcm's or new replacements from GM (only). Used bcm's retain mileage from where it came from and losing remote use. Remotes are programmed by GM (only) but mileage cannot be altered. New bcm's are programmed by GM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
jmelvin8

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Is the MIL/CEL indicator ON? This is the engine symbol in yellow. If on when the engine's running then error codes are stored for immediate retrieval. Battery replacement and the check engine light are coincidental and not a battery caused problem. There are two ways to address this - either panic or try some simple checks to find out why a sudden list of error codes pop up. The easiest check is to remove and inspect fuses in three places, in the engine area and right/left foot wells after removing plastic access panels. Each panel has a fuse puller tool. Removing fuses are the only way to see blown elements. Fuse inspection will eliminate power failure in electronics that can generate false error codes.

Search threads within the L-series to become familiar with bcm failures and symptoms. Error codes with a 'P' prefix are usually emissions control related - failing state emission inspection automatically if not corrected. Retrieve all error codes for listing here and Googling if you need to find their definitions. Refrain from manually resetting error codes; near inspection, a manual reset forces the emissions parameters to default factory conditions requiring at least a 50 mile 'drive cycle' to allow all on board emissions testing to fulfill restoring parameters before 'readiness monitors' go to 'pass', allowing state inspection to pass. The check engine light may be off but emissions self tests are performed every time the engine is started, car driven. Continually resetting the check engine light simply forces the emissions tests to start from the beginning, prolonging completion. All repairs and corrections are detected automatically by the on board diagnostics that know which repairs corrects an issue to erase each error code and put them into a 'pending' file that requires the drive cycle to complete testing. Some tests need three engine cycles free of the same error before the light turns off to ensure no one is manually resetting computers. Others need only one engine start to erase an error code.

If you determine your bcm failed then there are two choices; used bcm's or new replacements from GM (only). Used bcm's retain mileage from where it came from and losing remote use. Remotes are programmed by GM (only) but mileage cannot be altered. New bcm's are programmed by GM.

I don't have the engine symbol in my instrument cluster, but my " Service Engine Soon" light is on though. I did check all my fuses, hood/left and right foot panel, and everything is fine there. When I had taken it to my local auto parts store and had them check the codes, the individual told me I was going to have to take it to a shop to get some answers since it was showing ALL codes present with the vehicle. I can't find the print out, but it was all of them and clearly a handful of those were not the issue when I had looked at them myself. I had him try and reset from his obd reader and I have tried a few attempts with disconnecting the battery and draining a charge from the system. It still showed ALL codes upon return to a different parts store. I do know that my Saturn had it's BCM was replaced in early 2007, which makes me wonder if my BCM is ok. I'm unsure. What strikes me as strange is once the battery swap occured, no Speedometer, odometer stopped at 85000 and the OBD throwing every single code at me. What could cause the OBD to throw all it's codes? Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jmelvin8 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you had one bcm replacement and suspect this one is failing (you haven't confirmed this against posts with definite bcm failure) then you may be the first here to have a repeat problem. I don't know if this is a bcm failure or not as you're only pointing to two failures that are bcm related (speedo and odo display are from the bcm). The ecm still calculates tach and speed info that it passes to the bcm for display. On one hand, you're fortunate as bcm failure can cause a complete failure to start and run the engine; the bcm has GM's Passlock theft deterrent program and it has failed by activating Passlock, disabling injectors permanently to prevent engine running. Early bcm failures resulted in a tow to Saturn to replace failed bcm's.

With state inspection coming soon, you may have to bite the bullet and have GM diagnose the problems.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
jmelvin8

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Is it possible the ECM could be bad, if ruling out the BCM? Could ECM failure cause the OBD to puke out all it's codes? Ha. I am going to rule out the BCM at the moment, so that I can approach it with a different frame of mind.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The engine control module (engine computer) runs the engine. The body control module runs everything else except the airbags, xmission, and ABS/TC system. Those are operated by their own modules. All communicate to the bcm for the on board diagnostics as its the gateway for plugging in readers/scanners/whatever thru the DLC port under the steering wheel.

If your engine starts and runs the ecm isn't broken.

Is there a possibility for corrosion to set up and cause intermittent connections? While all wiring connections are made to eliminate corrosion, real world conditions dictates otherwise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-14-2013, 10:30 PM   #7
jmelvin8

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I had done some looking into this issue before and thought it could be a bum connection somewhere. I am going to do some in depth ground connection and cable connection checks. Something tells me I could have zapped something when I hooked the battery up, since that is when the problem started. I'm going to do some experimenting. Thanks fdryer!! I'll see what I come up with.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #8
abanerus
abanerus has a spectacular aura aboutabanerus has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Did you check the connector behind the instrument cluster? Please disconnect a battery terminal while checking connectors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to abanerus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help abanerus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
abanerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #9
jmelvin8

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Dazed Re: Speedometer/odometer not working, OBD showing all codes

I haven't checked the connection behind the instrument cluster yet. Tomorrow I am going to do a thorough check of grounds and connections to see what I come up with. I am still under the impression it might be my BCM because it wasn't just like it happened one day. I had changed my battery and I am unsure what I did but it was because of that my speed/odometer isn't working and my OBD is showing every code it can spit out. I'm not completely sure if I could have messed up my BCM while changing my battery, except I am not completely certain I didnt have my ignition in the ON position. With this little unknown I am pressed to assume the BCM is still a problem and won't be able to determine such a thing unless I take it to a certified tech with the proper diagnostic tools to assess whether it is my BCM. I am also not certain if a tech can for sure say whether it is the BCM since my OBD is going crazy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #10
jmelvin8

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Cool Re: Speedometer/odometer not working, OBD showing all codes

I am happy to inform you all at SaturnFans.com that my issue has indeed been resolved.

I'm not completely sure why some of the things were happening the way they were. What I had done was bring my Saturn to a mechanic I know. I was wanting him to see what he could tell me about all the strange codes my OBD was showing. So, when the scanner was hooked up, it showed about 16 different codes, most of which were "B" codes and a handful a "P" codes. Alot of the B codes had nothing to do with my vehicles current state and they were apart of the history portion of my OBD.

So, my mechanic went ahead erased all the codes and drove the car for about ten minutes. Hooked up the scanner, same codes and same thing. Well, his next suggestion was that a main code that is usually an issue and can supposedly cause weird activity in your vehicle was P0050, which has to do with the O2 sensor(upstream). So, he cleared the codes again then disconnected the O2 sensor and drove the car again for about ten minutes. Well, upon his arrival and to my amazement my speedometer and odometer were working again and after checking the codes again with O2 sensor disconnected, the only code that came up was the P0050 code, which was in relation to the O2 sensor. I felt damn good about this and he said go ahead and replace the O2 sensor, reset the OBD and give him a call back. Well, thats exactly what I had done.

I put the O2 sensor(upstream) in today, reset the OBD, drove around and voila.....Speedometer/Odometer still working, NO Service Engine Soon light was on, and a very large smile on my face. I'm glad it wasn't a BCM issue and not something major. Very strange that the O2 may have got toast then caused strange problems with my Speedometer/Odometer and gave my OBD strange history codes. Either way I have got it squared away and hope this could help someone in the future.

Mucho thanks to fdryer, abanerus, and the entire community of SaturnFans.com and it's sensational resource for Saturn owners. You all are Fabulous.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #11
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

O2 sensor failed and drove the diagnostics nuts? I can only guess a dead short (armchair quarterback guess) as most O2 sensor failures are due to worn out ones sending poor signals or just die. The majority of O2 sensors failing are detected and send a error code. Wading thru a list of false error codes to cull out valid ones is an art by itself. Your mechanic has a keen sense of troubleshooting that's rare. Spread the word about him so he'll get more business. If he saved you money any dealer would gladly run up a bill, perhaps this mechanic can use a good word of mouth advertising.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #12
Rover1
Rover1 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Good information to know

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rover1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rover1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rover1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #13
jmelvin8

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Checkered Flag Re: Speedometer/odometer not working, OBD showing all codes

A short in the O2 is the only thing that makes sense. Weird I know. He is a family friend and was someone I knew wouldn't give me the runaround, so I had that working for me. Because if I were to go anywhere else I probably would have had a $400.00 bill to pay. He was on it for sure. The universe has been kind to me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-23-2013, 12:04 AM   #14
abanerus
abanerus has a spectacular aura aboutabanerus has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Very unusual unless O2 sensor had a major short which could have been the cause of the old battery discharging.

So just possibly you didn't need the new battery & the errors would have come even if you recharged the old battery instead.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to abanerus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help abanerus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
abanerus is offline   Reply With Quote