SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 06:44 PM   #81
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL
Default Re: 00-02 SOHC Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement How-to

Just removed gasket from brother in law's 2002 SC1.
125000 miles.
Yup there was that wrinkle at #1 cylinder. You could see it when you pulled the IM away. Stupid robots.

Somewhere I thought I read that you can tilt the engine forward to get more room. We removed the top engine mount (it was shot anyway- original!) and removed the lower dog bone bolt, and tried to pry the engine forward. Gained us only a half inch or so.

Thanks to all for the info and photos. This is an awkward job. Tomorrow we will install the new gasket. Small pieces of electrical tape on the end of the 13mm socket will be the ticket. Or a small telescoping magnet to install the nuts onto the studs. I can't see how to use a torque wrench, so will use the GoodenTight method.

Time to remove- about 3 hours... Oh well, the learning curve again

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

Last edited by MikeNW; 11-16-2012 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: oops

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #82
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Unbolt the transaxle dogbone from the midrail and you can pull it forward. Both dogbones have to be unbolted if they are in good condition to get much tilt. You will only get about 2" before the exhaust becomes a problem though.

Do not over tighten, use a 1/4" drive ratchet and you will be OK, larger and an adapter runs the risk of a snapped stud.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:36 AM   #83
pfil
pfil is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1

Wonderful information. I've been lurking on this site for years and finally decided I needed register for an account and make a post. I'm most grateful for the ECTS fix I found on here that I was able to do in a NJ parking garage while on a business trip .

My 2001 SL1 w/ 127,000 miles has been getting the misfire on cylinder 1 error code intermittently (once every month or so and usually in the rain if that makes any sense) which always clears itself the next day. In the last week or so the engine started shaking noticeably when idling after work but never when I leave for work in the morning. The shaking goes away when I put the car in neutral (the idle speed also increases in neutral). After work today it was shaking again so I left the car in drive with the parking brake on and sprayed some brake cleaner at cylinder 1's intake and the shaking went away. The idle speed went from about 1030 RPM to 1040 RPM (I expected everyone's description of the idle revving to be more than 10 RPM). I think I will also do a TPS test tomorrow assuming my scanner will display that.

So, a few questions:
Is that a high idle speed?
Is my description fairly definitive that it's the intake manifold?
Is it possible to jury rig fix it (I don't have 4 straight hours where I can go without transportation for a few weeks) with gasket maker caulk-like substance smeared externally to where the fold on that gasket likely is or is that a really bad idea?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pfil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pfil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pfil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #84
pfil

2001 SL1

Well, I decided caulking the intake manifold was probably more trouble than it was worth and I have some free time this weekend so hopefully replacing the gasket does the trick.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pfil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pfil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #85
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1

Idle speed in drive with parking brake set should be 750-800 rpm. Fast idle plus P0301 code on a 3rd gen SOHC car is almost always the intake manifold gasket. If you hear a "putt-putt" sound in the exhaust when the engine is shaking at idle, that would be even more evidence.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
RIP Sept 1 2018
315,344 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:04 AM   #86
Dogismycopilot
Dogismycopilot is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1
Happy Re: 00-02 SOHC Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement How-to

Many thanks to all who have posted on this thread. Especially Richpin for his how-to videos.

Starting Friday evening when I removed the hood, the air intake, the battery and got prepared for Saturday (and Sunday, I had to drive people around in the only other available vehicle which I also used to drive to the auto parts store several times).

It's all done. The IM gasket, the fuel filter, the ECTS, the transmission fluid/filter, the serpentine belt and the coolant.
The car drives better at 110,000 mi. than it did at 60K when I bought it!!!
I can't wait to drive to work tomorrow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dogismycopilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dogismycopilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dogismycopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #87
pfil

2001 SL1

Thanks to everyone. My car runs much better now. It took me closer to 7 hours but mostly because I broke for lunch, cleaned the throttle body, IAC, and EGR while I was changing the intake manifold gasket. Plus I didn't watch Richpin's video on putting the serpentine belt on until after I did it myself and the only way I could figure out to get it on the crankshaft was to take off the passenger side wheel and go in from that direction. I'm also a bit prone to dropping bolts or sockets for my ratchet and then spending 15 minutes looking for them... I was very sore the next day but the car runs much better and I probably saved a few hundred dollars!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pfil's Reputation
Old 05-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #88
Mike R
Mike R is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1
2000 SL2

Thanks to all who have posted information in this thread. I just finished my 2001 SL1 and it runs great. It took me just over 4 hours but I also cleaned the throttle body and egr. I found it was easier to remove all the power steering pump bolts and set it aside but I also have huge gorilla hands.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mike R's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mike R reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mike R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #89
VenomMacbeth
VenomMacbeth is on a distinguished road

Hello, all. First post!

Okay, so, I have a 2000 Saturn SL1 with the SOHC engine. A few days ago, I noticed what appeared to be a misfire coming from the engine when in neutral (intermittent "bump" while idling.) The check engine light wasn't on, but the pop was still very noticeable. I googled the problem & found out about the intake manifold gasket issue. I didn't bother performing the brake cleaner test, as the gasket was pretty affordable & I had two days off from work, and I figured it would need done eventually anyway. Well, I got the car back together today & it still seems to misfire, but significantly less than before. I didn't replace the ECTS or thermostat, and I didn't reset the computer. Anyone know what else the problem could be? Thanks in advance!

[EDIT:] I have a manual transmission, also. Not sure if that's pertinent...

Last edited by VenomMacbeth; 10-29-2013 at 08:13 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VenomMacbeth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VenomMacbeth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VenomMacbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:09 PM   #90
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

When was last time you performed a tune up on the car, plugs, wires?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #91
VenomMacbeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL19302 View Post
When was last time you performed a tune up on the car, plugs, wires?
Well, I just bought the car a couple weeks ago now with 120k miles on it. The guy said he replaced the plugs & wires, and they indeed seemed very new-looking (at least the wires did).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help VenomMacbeth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #92
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

Two basic tests to do when a misfire is present and you know the plugs and wires are new is a fuel pressure test to make sure the pressure is within specs, and most of all a compression test on all four cylinders.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-29-2013, 08:28 PM   #93
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

What brand/type of spark plugs?

Is there a misfire CODE present?

Inspect the ECTS to see if it's the new(-ish) brass type. If not, replace it before chasing your tail.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #94
SL19302
Master Member

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

+1^^^^ For checking and/or replacing the ECTS sensor with the brass unit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #95
mattelderca
mattelderca will become famous soon enough

1998 SC1
1996 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
What brand/type of spark plugs?

Is there a misfire CODE present?

Inspect the ECTS to see if it's the new(-ish) brass type. If not, replace it before chasing your tail.
^^^The gasket and the ECTS are the reason I received my 2000 SL1 for free.
Check the plugs, make sure they are not a fine wire platinum and ensure the plug wires are in the correct order, coils 4 1 23, plugs are 1 2 3 4 starting from mamas side of the vehicle.

2000 SL1 freebie, my sons DD
1998 SC1 still running, FOR SALE cheap!
1996 SL, GONE but not forgotten
2005 Generic Silver Minivan (Kia Sedona)
2009 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattelderca's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattelderca reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattelderca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:08 AM   #96
VenomMacbeth

Would the ECTS cause it to misfire? I'm hoping it's either that or bad plugs/wiring, like what you guys said. I'm getting new tires & an alignment tomorrow, so I'll see then if either of those are the issue. I'll more than likely replace the ECTS anyway, as I'm pretty certain it's the original. Also, it's not throwing any codes at all, and the engine temperature is typically at/below the quarter mark (even though it was up to the halfway once, last week.) Thanks for the suggestions!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-30-2013, 02:13 AM   #97
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

If the temp gauge is that low, either the thermostat is stuck open, or the ECTS has failed, or both. ECTS will cause engine running problems, usu. running too rich, may appear to be a misfire. An actual misfire should throw a code.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:50 AM   #98
SL19302
Master Member

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

With temps that low, Replace the Thermostat AND the ECTS while the system is drained, This will allow the engine to get to proper operating temp once again and possibly cure any idle/performance issues you are currently having.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-27-2014, 08:48 PM   #99
FaFaFooey
FaFaFooey is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1

Did anyone else have trouble getting the fuel hose bracket to line back up to the manifold? I think it's very close to it's original position but the screw will only go back in about half way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FaFaFooey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FaFaFooey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FaFaFooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:14 PM   #100
OneBadBurb
OneBadBurb is on a distinguished road

2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaFaFooey View Post
Did anyone else have trouble getting the fuel hose bracket to line back up to the manifold? I think it's very close to it's original position but the screw will only go back in about half way.
Yeah it's funny you mention that, I just swapped the manifold gasket out on my 2001 SL today, and it was a little bit of a bear to get the fuel line bracket back on. I ended up having to take both the bracket off at the manifold, and detach the rubber part that attaches the lines to the bracket. To get it back on I put a light ratchet strap on the bracket, and ran it under the block to the front of my garage to pull it forward and down so that I could get the bolt to go in straight. I know it's not really good for it to be in a bind like that, but that's how I did.

P.S. For anyone about to do this repair, wear gloves lol. My fingers are now all cut up from all the burrs on the old gasket where I decided to slide it out without gloves on..

2001 Saturn SL1 (DD) - Magnaflow Muffler, Polyurethane Inserts/Bushings, Torrent Cluster, awaiting high compression DOHC engine (in progress).

1998 K1500 Suburban
1998 Sonoma

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OneBadBurb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OneBadBurb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OneBadBurb is offline   Reply With Quote