SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2011, 09:40 PM   #61
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: 00-02 SOHC Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement How-to

Keep it out of the oil and it works best when fed into a warm engine through a vacuum line. Keep the idle above 1500 when doing this. Use Techron in the gas.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2011, 08:22 PM   #62
Mobster
Mobster is on a distinguished road

Replaced mine today, Just wanted to thank everyone for the comments on this took about 3 hours,The offset wrench was a great help on most nuts and when they got close to off I used a magnet to grab them off the end, PB blaster is a must, missed # 9 nut the night before and it was stuck sprayed alittle and about 20 min. came right off. Now I got a Flepro gasket From Advanced Auto. The Gasket that came off was so brital and just fell apart but the #1 was cupped and wrinkled bad. I removed hood and was going to remove PS if I had too but didnt have too. Also replaced a/c compressure and charged air. Just love it. They wanted 5 hours labor to replace the intake gasket plus parts. Oh and draining coolant from bottom of water pump is the way to go. Great pics and thanks to everyone again

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mobster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mobster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #63
mrriden
mrriden is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2002 SL1

Jut completed my '02 SL1 [94K miles] intake gasket replacement by following the how to posted here. I found all the diagnostic and test information I needed on this forum and my car now runs like new. I also had the tell tale fold although my gasket came off in about 9 pieces. I found that the only thing I needed to get under the car for was to drain the coolant. Everything else was assessable from above using a good collection of extensions and ratcheting box end wrenches. I did not have a really good way to get to the belt tensioner so went in through the passengers side wheel well. Do disconnect the battery when you do this as you will drop stuff near the alternator. I just wanted to say thanks for the excellent write up. It put me right on the trouble and guided me through a repair that I might not otherwise have tackled. My time was 4 hours but I'm easily distracted. A look-up on automd.com shows the estimate to have this done tops $400. My cost was $22. I love this forum!

'02 SC2 'The Schnoot'
'94 SL2 'Beauty' (R.I.P.)
'02 SL1 'Silver Lining'

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mrriden's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mrriden reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mrriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:43 PM   #64
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

So, you have effectively made $400.00+ for 4 hours of work, and you don't have to pay taxes on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #65
Payaso
Payaso is on a distinguished road

2000 SC1

Saturnfans.com for the win.

It did not go as fast as y'all said but it went.

10% of being a mechanic is the tools.
90% of being a mechanic is the forum!

Thanks to everyone.

It only takes one crank to start a revolution.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Payaso's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Payaso reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #66
sailsoon
sailsoon is on a distinguished road

Just finished replacing faulty intake manifold gasket which was warped by the infamous Saturn robot.

I followed all the procedures described in the forum from diagnosis to replacement procedures. Tilting the engine forward made removing intake and torquing intake bolts much easier with not much additional work.

Many thanks to all. I saved a bundle and the SL1 is running great at 184000 Km

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sailsoon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sailsoon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sailsoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #67
kms2372
kms2372 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Soo is there anyone lurking around that lives in the Northern Jersey/New York area that wants to be a kind citizen and help a lady out and/or make a few bucks? Getting ridiculous quotes to get this repaired and not mechanically inclined enough to do this on my own

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kms2372's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kms2372 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kms2372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:10 PM   #68
Loanshark
Loanshark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kms2372 View Post
Soo is there anyone lurking around that lives in the Northern Jersey/New York area that wants to be a kind citizen and help a lady out and/or make a few bucks? Getting ridiculous quotes to get this repaired and not mechanically inclined enough to do this on my own
If I lived closer to you I would do it for $100 and some lemonade... If you are planning to be near Cincinnati with the car, let me know.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Loanshark's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Loanshark reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Loanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #69
kms2372
kms2372 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loanshark View Post
If I lived closer to you I would do it for $100 and some lemonade... If you are planning to be near Cincinnati with the car, let me know.

haha...for that price compared to what these fools are quoting me I'd provide several gallons of lemonade!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kms2372's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kms2372 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kms2372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:39 AM   #70
Loanshark

I just finished replacing my gasket on my 02 sl1. It was pretty easy. The hardest or most time consuming part was cleaning the mating surfaces with the limited clearance... I could do the job in two hours now, but it took me about 4 this time... The car runs smoother but I still get a bit of vibration at idle in gear...

2002 SL1 SOHC auto 208k miles and counting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Loanshark reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-11-2012, 03:03 AM   #71
mambate
mambate is on a distinguished road

2005 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
1995 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

thanks for you share.

http://www.247bestbuy.com/blog/every-vehicle-should-have-a-wireless-backup-camera-system/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mambate's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mambate reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mambate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:00 PM   #72
Saturn Cindy
Saturn Cindy is on a distinguished road

Thanks!

I couldn't have done it without this thread. Couple things I can add as insurance against the dropsies. Stuffing the gaps beneath the bolts with paper towels saved my butt when I dropped a couple of the nuts while doing the top row. And I used masking tape to tape the nuts to my deep socket on the bottom one by the EGR and the other side by the steering pump when putting them back on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Cindy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Cindy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #73
ii311hive
ii311hive is on a distinguished road

2001 SWP

I am getting ready to do this probably this weekend. Have a question. Do I need pb blaster or could I use liquid wrench? If its all the same I have everything I need.

96 Geo Prizm (Daily Driver)
98 Ford Contour (Other Daily Driver)
01 Saturn SW Postal (Work)
98 Firebird Formula (Play)
431 RWHP 525 Torque
12.17 @ 120.13

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ii311hive's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ii311hive reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ii311hive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #74
Loanshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ii311hive View Post
I am getting ready to do this probably this weekend. Have a question. Do I need pb blaster or could I use liquid wrench? If its all the same I have everything I need.
You should be fine.

2002 SL1 SOHC auto 208k miles and counting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2012, 01:55 AM   #75
ii311hive

2001 SWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loanshark View Post
You should be fine.
Oh, and I am assuming this could be done with Rhino ramps? Or do i need to use jack stands?

431 RWHP 525 Torque
12.17 @ 120.13

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ii311hive reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2012, 08:40 AM   #76
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Cars fall off of jack stands, use ramps when ever possible and both should be used on smooth, level hard surfaces such as blacktop or concrete.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #77
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Liquid Wrench is a company, not a specific product. The LW "Super Lubricant" is a good lightweight lube oil, but won't do jack on rusted fasteners. If you have the LW "Super Penetrant", it'll probably have to sit overnight, and still won't do the job that the PB Blaster does. But it's probably not needed in this job anyway, since you usu. don't get rust on the intake manifold nuts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:35 AM   #78
ii311hive

2001 SWP

Last question, is there any differnce in the manifold bolts or am I gonna run into any problems, since my saturn is a Right Hand Drive?

431 RWHP 525 Torque
12.17 @ 120.13

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-18-2012, 11:06 PM   #79
ii311hive

2001 SWP

Ok, I just changed out the intake gasket. I pretty much followed your guide and it took me a little longer than the 3.5 hours, of course this was the first time for me to tackle a job like this. Upon startup it ran a little rough but no ses light, and runs alot better than before. My question is does it take time to re-learn. I am thinking because I unhooked battery ground for several hours that the computer has to reset? I also had to loosen another bolt that I dont think was mentioned in your guide. For some reason it was in the way (like the power steering pump) of the manifold coming out. See picture below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM0500.jpg (100.1 KB, 36 views)

431 RWHP 525 Torque
12.17 @ 120.13

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-21-2012, 09:46 PM   #80
NateD
NateD is on a distinguished road

Thanks to everyone for all the info on this site! I am a first-time poster but have been reading for a while.

Recently completed the intake manifold gasket replacement on my 2001 SL1 using the advice from this thread. Great suggestion on using the PB blaster, as for us everything came off easily after sitting overnight. We also ended up just removing the power steering pump from its mounting, as this allowed easy access to that side manifold nut. Used magnets and rags to catch and keep the nuts from dropping behind the engine, and we took our time with the job while also changing the serpentine belt but all in still got it done in around 5 hours. The dealer here wanted $550 to do it, so it was certainly worth the time!

The gasket came apart in pieces just like happened for many of you, and we also saw the characteristic fold along the top in the same place. There was a small line of carbon deposit there which indicated some air leakage.

Unfortunately I still had some high idling after this, but was able to trace it to the throttle position sensor using richpin's technique of tapping it with a screwdriver. Just finished replacing it (it's located right along the top of the throttle body, so was easy to do without having to actually remove the throttle body assembly) and hopefully that will take care of it. So thanks again for the posts!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NateD's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NateD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NateD is offline   Reply With Quote