SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2008, 10:33 PM   #41
jambra1
Advanced Member
jambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nicejambra1 is just really nice

1999 SC2
1999 SL2
Default Re: how many miles do you have on your saturn?

218,000 on my '99 SC2. Original engine and clutch.

110,000 on my wife's '99 SL2. Original everything.

Both in excellent condition thanks to being garaged at home and having underground parking at work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jambra1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jambra1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jambra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2008, 10:36 PM   #42
DOHC Brown
DOHC Brown is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-1 Sedan

'97 SC2 5speed.

about to hit 147k miles.

beyond some annoying screech noise when pushing/lifting off the throttle spiritedly from underneath the car. no issues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DOHC Brown's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DOHC Brown reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DOHC Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:11 AM   #43
ngtmre
ngtmre is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

amazing! These things last a very long time it seems. i thought only toyota's and honda's run forever. guess I'm happy i have a Saturn sl2!!
Looks like if you keep them loved they will love you back.

question, does running synthic oil help with oil consumption?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ngtmre's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ngtmre reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ngtmre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:54 AM   #44
Phredawgy
Phredawgy is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngtmre View Post
amazing! These things last a very long time it seems. i thought only toyota's and honda's run forever. guess I'm happy i have a Saturn sl2!!
Looks like if you keep them loved they will love you back.

question, does running synthic oil help with oil consumption?
Does yours have any oil consumption to speak of?

There are those that will say switching to synthetic if you have alot of miles on your engine isn't a good idea...but IIRC didn't you have just 38000 or so miles on yours?

The streets will flow with the blood of all the non-believers!!!! And all those who won't include their vehicles vital information in their posts!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phredawgy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phredawgy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phredawgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:16 AM   #45
ngtmre

1993 SL2

Yes, I only have 38K on mine, and the older lady that was the prior owner used semi-syn oil but was changing it not at 3K but at what ever saturn's owners manual told her to. I'm guessing 7k or so? I don't know cause I don't have an owners manual.
I'm not sure if I want to spend that kind of money on an oil change so I'm running 5w-30 Castrol Regular motor oil but I will change it every 3K.
Unless anyone here has proof that Syn oil keeps the oil rings from cloggin up.

I have never heard of Syn oil clogging oil rings ever so that is why i have asked these questions.

Oh, and to answer your question, no my car does not burn any oil or leak any that I know of...

Last edited by ngtmre; 03-28-2008 at 01:17 AM.. Reason: answer last question

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ngtmre reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-28-2008, 01:30 AM   #46
Phredawgy
Phredawgy is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngtmre View Post
Yes, I only have 38K on mine, and the older lady that was the prior owner used semi-syn oil but was changing it not at 3K but at what ever saturn's owners manual told her to. I'm guessing 7k or so? I don't know cause I don't have an owners manual.
I'm not sure if I want to spend that kind of money on an oil change so I'm running 5w-30 Castrol Regular motor oil but I will change it every 3K.
Unless anyone here has proof that Syn oil keeps the oil rings from cloggin up.

I have never heard of Syn oil clogging oil rings ever so that is why i have asked these questions.

Oh, and to answer your question, no my car does not burn any oil or leak any that I know of...
The recommended maintenece schedule for my Saturn is 3 thousand miles.....but I know there are recommendations that if you don't drive the vehicle very much(obviously she didn't) that you can change it at other intervals.

Good that yours doesn't burn any. How often do you check it?

The streets will flow with the blood of all the non-believers!!!! And all those who won't include their vehicles vital information in their posts!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phredawgy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phredawgy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phredawgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 02:47 AM   #47
chrsprfft
chrsprfft is on a distinguished road

ive had this saturn sl1 for 5 years and ayear after i got it the odometer went out at over 117,000.ive done mostly route work in it for the last 3 years at average 5 00mi a wk.so i must be getting damn close to 200,000.with no major repairs yet.(knock on wood)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chrsprfft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chrsprfft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chrsprfft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 03:15 AM   #48
Red Sc2
Red Sc2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

147,6?? running strong... Burning about a quart every 500-600 miles... Rebuilding this june/july

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Red Sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Red Sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Red Sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 04:21 AM   #49
plastic torpedo
plastic torpedo will become famous soon enoughplastic torpedo will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2
1994 SC2

My turbo car has 194,000 miles on it.
The backup car has 153,000 miles.

I've my 00 SL2 for 5 years since it only had 72k on it.
Still original engine and doesn't burn any oil even with the turbo.

2000 SL2 5-speed turbo
MSnS-E fuel & spark controlled @ 17-20 psi (methanol injected)
Fully forged, P&P head and manifolds, FSR turbo cams, balanced to 9k RPM
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3070918

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plastic torpedo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plastic torpedo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plastic torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:37 AM   #50
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrsprfft View Post
ive had this saturn sl1 for 5 years and ayear after i got it the odometer went out at over 117,000.ive done mostly route work in it for the last 3 years at average 5 00mi a wk.so i must be getting damn close to 200,000.with no major repairs yet.(knock on wood)
Did you get your odometer replaced at all? If your odometer went out; it's a small 25 tooth gear that you can repair yourself. I have written up a step by step guide and have pictures in my gallery on how to fix this if you haven't fixed it at all and are wanting to get it fixed. The 25 tooth gear can be ordered from www.odometergears.com for $25.00

Do a search on Odometer Gear or How to get inside your instrument cluster. Different Racing www.differentracing.com also has a step by step guide on repairing your instrument cluster, with pictures directly from the FSM.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:48 AM   #51
Toadfish
Toadfish is on a distinguished road

173K on my 97.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Toadfish's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Toadfish reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Toadfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:10 AM   #52
Amp67
Amp67 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

205K on my 95 SL2

Only non maintenance items replaced: water pump, ETCS, starter, muffler

Not bad...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Amp67's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Amp67 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Amp67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:18 AM   #53
Niteshooter
Niteshooter is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1999 SL1

We run Castrol High Milage oil in our Saturns. I find they do burn less oil than with whatever the dealer uses. The dealer will let us supply our own oil and knocks $10 off the service cost so when we buy the oil on sale it's cheaper to get the dealer to do oil changes than Mr Lube as they charge extra for factory oil filters and for the better oil.

Plus we get a free car wash at the dealer and I can't stand all the upselling Mr Lube tries to do while you are sitting there.

Kevin

www.kevinomura.com/saturns our Saturn family.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Niteshooter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Niteshooter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Niteshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:02 PM   #54
sc2dohc94
sc2dohc94 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2
Roll Eyes Re: how many miles do you have on your saturn?

i had 135k on original engine/trans but now i have a new engine and trans will have it running today hopefully. -connecting rod bearing had dirt imbeded #2-oil always changed at 4-5k miles- original owner - some stupid place put synthetic in it a while back :[ only time not changed by myself

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sc2dohc94's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sc2dohc94 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sc2dohc94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:15 PM   #55
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Only approaching 95K. I'll reach 100K sometime in late June or early July. Should be officially "broken in" by then, huh?

Replaced:

Thermostat (two months ago)
Battery (twice - brutal summers do that)
PCV (once)
Plugs (twice) & Wires (once)
Tires (once)
Serpentine Belt (once)
Flushed radiator (once)

That's all folks! Not even a single light bulb.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 07/25/18: 229,023 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 07/25/18: 51,495 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:37 PM   #56
Keviefriend
Keviefriend is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSaturn02 View Post
Only approaching 95K. I'll reach 100K sometime in late June or early July. Should be officially "broken in" by then, huh?

Replaced:

Thermostat (two months ago)
Battery (twice - brutal summers do that)
PCV (once)
Plugs (twice) & Wires (once)
Tires (once)
Serpentine Belt (once)
Flushed radiator (once)

That's all folks! Not even a single light bulb.
Not sure the point of this is to encourage people to rack up more miles than need be... I hardly need any encouragement I commute 44.6 miles daily at mininum.
I FINALLY did my air filter today. Would have been $4.64 at walmart but they don't carry my size so I had to go to Napa and it cost $12. At least at Walmart I could have gone to the self checkout and gotten a thank you.
But I hate walmart, so I guess this is what happens.

My last tank of gas was a little lead-footy and mixed city and freeway, and I still got 30.25, and that air filter was really nasty. So we'll see if it gets better now
Up next: Plugs and Wires, ECTS, possibly TPS, a new driver's seat (mine is torn with metal showing!) and maybe a couple other things too.
My friend's blower motor went out and he's my help so I have a feeling we'll wind up working on his truck first... grr that ugly dodge always gets to go first and there's almost always something wrong with it. When I get this joke of an economic stimulus check, I'll get the windshield (I'll try and get some pics of the old one it's pretty bad). Then come tires!

Any recommendations on other things I should check for a 200,000 mile tune up that I might have missed?

Thanks!

Kev

98 SL2M red loaded+working sunroof 135K miles sold 2011
95 SL1M teal totalled November 08.
99 Yahama Razz scooter

Looking for another under $1k in or somewhat near Minneapolis

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Keviefriend's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Keviefriend reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Keviefriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:59 PM   #57
Snipew4
Snipew4 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

221K on the '98 DHOC 1.9 original engine. I've been doing 3K oil & filter changes. I've had it since it was new; mainly used by my son now. Several minor problems, high idle (sometimes), struts (will replace next week), spongy brakes. Yes we do have some PMS work to do this spring. It uses 1-2 qts of oil between changes but I have read that this is common due to one of those years that oil rings were a problem. I plan to run it until it does not run any more then decide if we want to drop another engine in it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Snipew4's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Snipew4 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Snipew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:18 PM   #58
01SL1SATURN
01SL1SATURN is on a distinguished road

2001 SL

2001 SL1 5spd. Original SOHC and transmission/clutch.

It is at exactly 94950 miles. Just got back from picking up pizza.

I bought it with 88,xxx miles. I have all service receipts.

Oil change and filter replacement
Power starting/charging system, battery installation
Power steering system service - power steering service kit
Cooling system service - cooling flush kit, anti-freeze coolant
Serpantine belt change
Engine Retune - air filter, 44k fuel system cleaner, spark plugs, pcv valve, fuel system dryer
4 new tires.

That is all the maintenance done by the previous owner, besides a side view mirror taken off by a passing car. Nothing has gone wrong with the car. I have gotten 42mpg on the highway, right now 35mpg 90% highway 10% city.

At my next oil change I will be flushing out my transmission fluid. Can't hurt.

Truly not too often a car will go almost 100k without a SINGLE part going bad.

---------------
Brother had a 92 SL2 that burned a quart every 200 miles. Car had about 140k on it but had to retire because it wouldn't pass inspection. Ran fine though, and only replaced the starter.

2001 Saturn SL 5 speed -- 131,000 miles
Slush boxes..... taking the fun out of driving since 1950!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 01SL1SATURN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 01SL1SATURN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
01SL1SATURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:33 PM   #59
rockettjay
rockettjay is on a distinguished road

140,000 94 SL1
137,000 95 SL2

Both run well with no major problems Had the 94 for a year, and the 95 for about 2 months now. Original engine and tranny in both.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rockettjay's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rockettjay reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rockettjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:00 PM   #60
ngtmre

1993 SL2

to answer your question, I will check it every 1K or so.
Money's tight so I hope to drive it for quite a while.
Looks like these cars can run a long time.
Cool.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!