SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2018, 01:27 PM   #1
Packard
Packard is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
Default Is it possible to bleed a donor abs out of car?

Is it possible to pressure or pump the new abs unit from a donor car before adding it to my car. I was thinking about getting donor abs bleed all four brake with the master cylinder either by pumping the master cylinder piston or pressure bleeding it get me some tubbing and put them into some brake fluid resorvoir . Then plug it into my car and vacuum bleed or pressure bleed my wheels use my 3/16 tubing open all the bleeders pressure bleed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Packard's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Packard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Packard is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2018, 06:13 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Is it possible to bleed a donor abs out of car?

Isn't that how everyone bleeds the master cylinder? Take the outputs from the MC and pipe it back to the fill cap and pump until the bubbles stop?

Far as I know the ABS unit isn't separate from the MC on the S-Series, you either have a ABS MC or a non-ABS MC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:32 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Several posts about abs are scattering replies for anyone attempting to help. It might be wiser if you stay on one thread and not reply to other threads about the same abs issue on the same car.

Do you have service manuals for your Saturn or not? Please do not refer to other cars and info if they do not have the exact same make of abs unit and the same procedures for replacing, bleeding abs units then bleeding the remaining brake system to restore abs function. Saturn has specific procedures for two separate brake bleeding procedures. One is for the base brake system hydraulics, the other for abs bleeding. Abs bleeding requires GMs Tech II scantool to command the abs unit into cycling the solenoid valves and motor. I don't know if there's a diy method that exists to exercise the abs unit on a bench or in the car to bleed air out while providing fresh brake fluid. I have never come across anyone here making a diy abs bleeding procedure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:51 PM   #4
Packard

1995 SL1

it would help if u would not come to them Ive been trying to avoid your responses as there never imformative You dont feel inclined to help then dont need any cry babies.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Packard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-21-2018, 10:58 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I was going to offer some files but your last reply isn't friendly at all. Since you haven't answered questions for anyone to determine whether you're using information not pertinent to your problems or have service manuals to refer to, I'll refrain from any more replies to you.

We're all adults here. If you think I'm a crybaby, you're greatly mistaken.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:59 PM   #6
Packard

1995 SL1

Well if we all had 3k scanners no problem . Im wanting to try and take one from a donor vehicle bleed the lines first by pumping or pressure bleed then install and bleed all wheel Im wonder if there is anyone who has tried it and had success. I dont have a scan tool cant afford it who can those thing are stupid expensive . If anyone has had success in replacing there abs on there own Im interested in speaking with you . Can the motor be turned counter clockwise to bleed the abs ?REason were all here cause we dont have scan tools . If we did there would not be a reason to skip it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-21-2018, 11:04 PM   #7
Packard

1995 SL1

after reading info about another install I hear its possible to bleed the abs without a scanner . If your willing to wire the motor pack up .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-21-2018, 11:07 PM   #8
Packard

1995 SL1

after reading info about another install I hear its possible to bleed the abs without a scanner . If your willing to wire the motor pack up . Take a harness from junkyard and take leads from donor vehicle and make a harness to bleed abs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2018, 07:49 AM   #9
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

If you have a laptop just get a VXDiag VCX Nano from Amazon for $120. The virtual machine that comes on the DVD with it doesn't have the Tech 2 emulator installed by default, but once it's installed it seemed to work fine on my '01 Silverado.

It's less confusing for everyone if you keep posts around 1 topic to a single post, rather than not only making a new post for each new question but posting that question in 2 forums. The guys that know what they're doing with the S-Series tend to check both forums anyway so it's a bit annoying to go into the other one and think "I just answered this guy...didn't I?".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:44 AM   #10
Packard

1995 SL1

Im thinking about getting a tech 1 . What will i need for the tech 1 to work in my 1995 saturn sl1 is it that cartridge . Is that com port thing coming out the top of it ?? Ive been studying trying to figure out what I need to be sure i get a whole tech 1 or tech 1a to work in my car to bleed abs. I dont know what a powertrain module would do if that is going to even be needed to work on my brake system. Im going to be buying a computer cause i have large cash coming so i want a computer for my car.

Last edited by Packard; 10-22-2018 at 08:53 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2018, 09:09 AM   #11
Packard

1995 SL1

Im not 100 percent on a tech 1 cause there are so many plugs ?I dont have a manual or where to get one to read about this genius too. I do have a video on how to use it and I have alldata on alll the test that I need to peform cause I have manufacturers service manual online with alldatadiy .com

Another forum suggested this from a quote

I would try to buy one with the dealership Mass Storage Cartridge (MSC).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-26-2018, 07:44 AM   #12
Packard

1995 SL1

I stand correct a donor abs can be bleed. I did a complete replacement from a 97 junkyard abs donor to my 95 saturn sl and all my light issues are elimanated the abs I recieved had fluid in rear drums . So I was able to pressure the whole brake system and get my abs and my normal brake light and restore braking to my car again . Mechanic said replace the hubs cause his misinterpreted the code 51 i recieved for abs . Code 51 was for rear axle nut loose motor free spins. Since the abs . Dealer was unable to decipher there own car I dont even feel confident in mechanics anymore . After speaking with mechanic he suggested replaced hubs for a trouble which made no sense . Cause the car never had issues Drove all over got nowhere .So i finally said im going to junkyard grab some cheap ass parts and go to town on this car starting with abs .
Fixes in Saturns Abs solution found if u cant bleed yours get one u can.
Abs donor are bleedable if u needed to rid of light its easy it only cost the price of used unit and some fluid .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-27-2018, 11:04 AM   #13
Packard

1995 SL1

Its good to have my trusty car back . As I depend on it . Its very needed . I had to move once good thing I have my old 95 . Its been very faithful to me. I got it some full synthetic oil and a 20k filter last change . I did all myself . As I have went to school and have Ase training. So I hope to keep this car for awhile to save some money . Without a scan tool for abs side is the only obsticle when it comes to repairing the saturn 1995 . But when all u need is donor car its easier . I avoided a big repair bill from mechs who have no experience really thought mechs were better . I know real mechs dont change parts until there is full diagnostics . I think its the shops there in too pushy and dont allow techs to do what there taught to do. I want to be an ase tech would love to service cars for ppl.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!