SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2018, 06:02 PM   #1
Gold_BM
Gold_BM is on a distinguished road

Default Diverter Valve (P0410 !)

Hi. At approx 3:05 of Richpin06A (the EXCELLENT) P0410 video to check the Secondary Air Pump, my airflow out of the Diverter Valve "seems much less" than what the airflow is coming out of the exhaust manifold. I would assume the pressure from the Diverter should be much greater than what is coming out of the Exhaust Manifold.

The Pump providedes good pressure into the Diverter. I get vacuum on the two small lines, the connector(s) voltages are present (at start up). The steel tube to the manifold is clean.

The attached picture shows the Diverter. Note the two screws on the bottom. I am afraid to try to crack them open and damage the Phillips head. Trust me I would love to perform exploratory surgery (but have curiosity has killed the cat many times !) .

Again, I have flow all the way through but would expect a greater flow rate on the exit.

Thank you.

Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SL1 diverter.jpg (145.8 KB, 15 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gold_BM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gold_BM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gold_BM is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2018, 01:57 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Diverter Valve (P0410 !)

What year and model? Here's a link that might help; http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=234885

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:52 AM   #3
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1

When my diverter valve failed, it was the actuator. Valve would get good vacuum on cold start, and the air pump ran fine, but the diverter valve would not open. I did disassemble mine and was able to confirm it did not open with vacuum applied. Best to have a new one in hand before tearing apart the old one. Mine was not repairable.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
RIP Sept 1 2018
315,344 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 04:09 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I can make a suggestion but it depends on the person and skills along with any difficulty in loosening and removing fasteners. In this case, the two screws holding the diverter assembly together. Steel screws in aluminum threads tends to create galvanic reaction ending up as the equivalent of loctite. When understood, it may make it easier to think of solutions. If the aluminum body allows it, positioning it to allow a manual impact driver to shock and loosen these two screws may help. I don't mean sticking it in a vise. The flat surface opposite each screw is placed on a vise so the impact tool will bear against the aluminum part without breaking it off. Manual impact drivers only need a hammer to bang on to act as both impact tool and loosen fasteners. Varying hammer blows allows fine tuning how much force is needed. Penetrating solvent, some heat where applicable and tapping the screws with light hammer blows on a screwdriver dies the same to shock and loosen the mechanical loctite created from galvanic action. Even a vise grip can grab a screw to loosen it if corrosion isn't too severe that the head may break off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:19 PM   #5
Gold_BM
Gold_BM is on a distinguished road

Hi, Thank you for the feedback.

In a nutshell, Success (! ???)

The details:

In the meantime, I bathed the output in Carb Cleaner, shaking/agitating with my finger over the port. Probably after 20 minutes the liquid (before flash off) became much clearer. Thus much (some ?) Carbon was loosened. I hit the input with a 100 psi (vacuum) engaged and to my surprise, the Output INCREASED.

I will monitor the performance in the coming days, hoping all is well, for follow up.

Ed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gold_BM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gold_BM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gold_BM is offline   Reply With Quote