SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2018, 05:35 PM   #61
Mark_b
Mark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the rough

1996 SC2
1999 SC2
Default Re: 96 SC2 bringing it back to life (slowly)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
WIX fuel filter and WIX 51516XP oil filter.
Thanks, I have WIX filters on order and an air filter.
I also ordered a mobile one oil filter for the startup procedure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mark_b's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mark_b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mark_b is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2018, 08:45 PM   #62
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

If you missed this oil prime procedure this insures you start with oil on all bearings.

To prime the oil system on a Saturn engine after a complete overhaul, head replacement, timing chain replacement, re-ring, or long term storage perform the following steps.
-Fill crankcase with 4 1/2 quarts of fresh new 5w-30 oil if this is the initial fill following a rebuild otherwise use 4 quarts of oil. Use a decent quality name brand oil.
-Fill a squirt pistol type oiler with the same oil.
-Squirt oil into the square port on the right side of the filter base do this several times until you can not get more oil to stay in it. This will take 4 to 6 ounces of oil.
-Fill the new oil filter a bit more than 1/2 full and screw it in place.
-Remove the PCM B fuse from the UHJB (under hood fuse box). This will prevent the fuel pump and injectors from operating while priming.
-Remove spark plugs.
-Place 1 squirt of 5w-30 oil in each cylinder.
-Turn key to crank and crank engine with the starter until the oil pressure light goes out. This may take several 20-30 second runs of the starter.
-Release key when the oil pressure light goes off.
-Turn key to crank and crank engine again until oil pressure light goes out. Repeat 2 times.
-Replace spark plugs.
-Replace PCM B fuse.
-Prime fuel system by turning key to on but not crank and wait until pump stops, turn key to off, wait 30 seconds. Repeat 2 times.
-Start engine.
After start.
-If engine running as expected continue to let it sit and idle while you inspect for leaks and other off normal behavior.
-Do not touch the gas!
-Allow to sit and idle until the fan cycles on and off twice.
-Shutdown engine and allow a 30 minute oil drain down time
-Replace the oil and oil filter with a WIX 51516XP or Mobil-1 M1-209 (do not substitute) filter and a name brand high quality synthetic oil, or high quality name brand synthetic blend oil.
-Drive car conservatively, no steady RPM operation and hold max top gear RPM to < ~3000 RPM
-Closely monitor oil level by parking in the exact same spot and checking level after a 6 hour minimum drain down time. Maintain oil level at the Full mark or up to the lower edge of the "U" in full.
-Once it has been established that oil consumption is zero change oil and filter.
-At this point using a high end 100% PAO synthetic oil is the best option. Amsoil 5w-30 Signature Series or Amsoil
Series 3000 SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel Oil is recommended along with the WIX 51516XP filter. Do not run these filters more than 7500 miles but oil change can be done by oil sample results and no more than 700 operating hours. Buy an hour meter and hook it up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:19 PM   #63
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

....And don't forget the O rings on the block before you install the timing cover!!!!!

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:33 PM   #64
Mark_b
Mark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the rough

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

@OldNuc Thanks for posting that I plan on using it.
@waies191 wen we took timing cover off I showed them to my son and told him how important they were. I hope to learn lessons from your post and others.
I saw where super clean would help clean up the block and the head. We tested it on the head it was 30 degrees outside so we did not spend that much time on it yet. But it worked well. I look forward to using it on the block and the head again.

Before and after (I just sprayed it on let it sit pressured washed it off)

We got some parts in

I ordered a Lisle 36050 Valve Keeper Remover and Installer Kit. This should make putting the valve keepers much simpler.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1515173789380.jpg (116.0 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg 1515173886065.jpg (107.4 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 20180105_122509.jpg (112.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20180105_122218.jpg (64.1 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg Parts.jpg (91.4 KB, 91 views)

Last edited by Mark_b; 01-05-2018 at 01:40 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Mark_b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-05-2018, 04:47 PM   #65
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

The fun part, clening... Be sure to flush out and blow out all the oil galleries. You really fo not left over cleaner or water in there. Those tors bit plugs will come out so all the gunk is ejected. To reuse the aluminum sealing washer just LIGHTLY rub both sides on a new sheet of 220 flint or garnet paper, no emery or aluminum oxide etc. Be sure to clean them off carefully. They do not have to be perfectly cleaned up, just enough to get a new surface to seal on. They torque to 20ft-lb. No sealer etc but a finger wipe of oil on the threads helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-07-2018, 10:15 AM   #66
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

We have a setback I went to Columbia SC to get my timing cover and some other parts.
We spent a fair amount of time cleaning it up. We finished cleaning it up yesterday and we very happy how it turned out. Then I noticed it has a big issue the part that holds the idler pulley is broken off.
My old cover has the top right bolt ear broken ˝ off. I wonder if I could cut the bolt ear off this one and weld it on the old cover?

Issue highlighted in yellow.

My son cleaned up all the valves and more parts came in the mail including valve lapping tool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CoverIssue.JPG (139.6 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 20180106_154717.jpg (90.5 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg 20180106_132157.jpg (70.9 KB, 84 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-07-2018, 10:24 AM   #67
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Bummer. Is that part steel? Maybe you can drill a couple small holes in the back, drive it out, and seal the holes with RTV. I'd be worried about the welding. That part needs to be pretty flat for sealing.

Edit: from my pics I see it is aluminum and part of the casting. Do you have a buddy who could machine you up a new one and then weld it in?

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

Last edited by Waiex191; 01-07-2018 at 10:32 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-07-2018, 10:51 AM   #68
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The idler pulley boss is aluminum and this is not repairable with anything unless you can find a real certified TIG welder and have access to a rather complete machine shop to finish the job. The ear could be tig welded back in place and finished with a hand file IF you are real careful. Easy - cheap way is find a new cover that has a good smooth oil pump cavity. 92-98 all swap. Check http://car-part.com/index.htm and local pick and pull.

Idler pulley boss breaks off when mounting bolt is repeatedly torqued to the over zealous OEM spec or the tensioner or idler pulley bearing locks up. That 20ft-lb is excessive when 15ft-lb will be just fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-07-2018, 11:28 AM   #69
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

Here it is the old one that had the ear broken off. They were trying to get the cover off without taking the middle bolt that you can’t see off.

I have a Mig welder with a spool gun. I know Tig would be the best but I might give it a try what do I have to lose.
I would try to weld the ear on and file it clean.

Is it the 98 cover that oils the chain?
Car-parts is an option I will call on Monday. Ebay wants $100 for one no way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180107_104623.jpg (55.0 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 20180107_104632.jpg (48.4 KB, 87 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-07-2018, 11:49 AM   #70
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

One small thing in the valve cover cleanup happened. I did not know the part circled in red was plastic. I hit it with the pressure washer and a piece broke off.

It cleaned up very nicely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ValveCover.jpg (138.7 KB, 87 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-07-2018, 12:04 PM   #71
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That is not good. It is remotely possible that you will not end up sucking oil into the engine through the PCV but using the single hole no moving part PCV is recommended. There is no easy way to replace that duct either. The baffle bottom it is mounted into is non removable and replaceable. Those are drive rivets and are removed by drilling and then you have to find and actually remove a intact duct and replace it into that baffle. The baffle is sealed to the oil fill hole boss on the inside as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-08-2018, 04:53 PM   #72
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_b View Post
Is it the 98 cover that oils the chain?
'98 for sure has it, '97 most likely does, and '96 probably does not

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...170045&page=19

OldNuc's research shows the hole as showing up in '97 but may have shown in in the late '96 production run as one member notes (as is the case with a lot of things Saturn, there is not a definitive cut off date)
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=127941

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:11 PM   #73
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

Great thanks for the links.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-09-2018, 06:28 PM   #74
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

I made some progress today. It warmed up today so I welded the timing cover. I just made an aluminum Big Green Egg grill stand so I have done a fair amount of Mig aluminum welding.

The top is welded the bottom is before welding.

We got the rod caps cleaned up

I got the plastic valve cover part out of the old cover.
Now time to drill out the rivets

My 96 cover has the chain oilier. Now it needs cleaned up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1515539731354.jpg (104.1 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 20180109_174429.jpg (66.6 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg 20180109_174036.jpg (55.2 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 20180109_174138.jpg (90.6 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by Mark_b; 01-09-2018 at 06:43 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-09-2018, 09:10 PM   #75
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Cut a slot in them, heat up cover with a heat gun and twist them out as they have 2 or 3 coarse threads on them. They are drive screws. Replace with fine thread blunt point metal screws into a tapped hole so as to not crack the aluminum. The baffle plate is RTV sealed to the chamber. Put the screws into oil free holes dry and the aluminum will oxidize and lock them forever. The weld repair should work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-09-2018, 09:23 PM   #76
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

That sounds like a good plan. Thanks for the advice

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-09-2018, 09:58 PM   #77
Waiex191

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Nicely done! Those engine guts look different than my '99. Did you mean cam caps?

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-09-2018, 10:11 PM   #78
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

Thanks. I was happy with it. I got good penetration. I cut off a different bolt ear and welded it back on as a test. That went well so I did the real thing.

Good eye yes those are cam caps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-11-2018, 11:16 AM   #79
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

Just a little more cleanup on the block and it will be ready.

My son school break is over so the project will slow down again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180111_093655.jpg (109.4 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 20180111_093715.jpg (106.6 KB, 71 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-14-2018, 12:55 PM   #80
Mark_b

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

We ran the ridge reamer it had very little ridge.
The cylinders have been honed and the gasket surface was cleaned.
One step closer.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180114_104843.jpg (108.8 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 20180114_104836.jpg (79.3 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by Mark_b; 01-14-2018 at 01:03 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!