SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2018, 08:16 PM   #21
velocast
velocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: DRL Can be disabled!

The DRL poses more than one problem if we want to upgrade to HID. It has low voltage and it shares the same wire than our Low Beam. Our DRL more likely runs at 9 Volts. So, most HID ballast will operate from 9V-16V. I never saw flickering my HIDs. Always, I put the headlight switch in the AUTO position without any problem.

I commute about 2 hours every day round trip! To protect from overheating, I did put my HID ballasts above the radiator attached to the front chassis near the battery. That is one of the most ventilated areas in our engine. They been running heavy duty all season for almost two years without any problem. They look dirty and are well waterproof insulated with Permatex Black Silicone adhesive sealant.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to velocast's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help velocast reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
velocast is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2018, 10:01 PM   #22
FreedomSoftware
FreedomSoftware is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocast View Post
The DRL poses more than one problem if we want to upgrade to HID. It has low voltage and it shares the same wire than our Low Beam. Our DRL more likely runs at 9 Volts. So, most HID ballast will operate from 9V-16V. I never saw flickering my HIDs. Always, I put the headlight switch in the AUTO position without any problem.

I commute about 2 hours every day round trip! To protect from overheating, I did put my HID ballasts above the radiator attached to the front chassis near the battery. That is one of the most ventilated areas in our engine. They been running heavy duty all season for almost two years without any problem. They look dirty and are well waterproof insulated with Permatex Black Silicone adhesive sealant.
I'm currently running LEDs and having issues with them. Are HIDs simple plug and play? or do they require some technical skills?

'08 Saturn Astra
-Debadge
-Vauxhall Grille
-Thule Roof Rack (and wind fairing)
-1.25" Lowered
-Windows Tint all around
-JVC Head unit
-Dual 12" Subs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FreedomSoftware's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FreedomSoftware reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FreedomSoftware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:07 AM   #23
maschinenbauer
maschinenbauer will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

I never found my original Astra headlights to be less than adequate, and I live out in the country in the land of dark roads and big redneck trucks with blinding light bars. They haven't even needed bulbs after 100k miles.

'08 Astra XE 5-speed
'72 Chevrolet El Camino
'31 Ford Model A pickup

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to maschinenbauer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help maschinenbauer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
maschinenbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:31 PM   #24
velocast
velocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura about

HIDs still the king of the jungle! Our Bi-Halogens are too danger for nighttime driving. I have installed “Innovited CANbus HID 9005 Kit $40.” I choose this kit because it does start at 5Amps then drops to 3.2Amps. Lovely! I did personally verified and tested. The light output is pretty much similar than any OEM ballast meaning moderate light output. With this kit I do not need a relay, and my headlamp wires are well protected.

Other, I am planning to try the expensive Morimoto XB35 with my new Bi-Xenon HID headlamps. I read the Morimoto’s 35W draws around 7-8Amps on startup and around 4.4-4.5Amps when steady. That is not good news probably is the old version! I keep updated weeks later!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to velocast's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help velocast reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
velocast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 05:41 PM   #25
FreedomSoftware
FreedomSoftware is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by maschinenbauer View Post
I never found my original Astra headlights to be less than adequate, and I live out in the country in the land of dark roads and big redneck trucks with blinding light bars. They haven't even needed bulbs after 100k miles.
Its more of the color than anything, the "yellowy" tint that halogens have is rather annoying to go back to when I have had LEDs for so long that give off the white color that I'm used to. Plus people think my 08 is a newer car which I think is fun.

'08 Saturn Astra
-Debadge
-Vauxhall Grille
-Thule Roof Rack (and wind fairing)
-1.25" Lowered
-Windows Tint all around
-JVC Head unit
-Dual 12" Subs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FreedomSoftware's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FreedomSoftware reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FreedomSoftware is offline   Reply With Quote