SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
tskaling
tskaling is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Attention DRL Can be disabled!

Somehow since the last time I had my car into the dealership the Daytime running lights stopped working (it might have happened during the servicing!?).

I took it in this week to fix it and they spent over a day trying to figure it out. Apparently something had to be reprogrammed since in was "disabled" in the software!?

I kinda wish I would have just left them off now.....but at least it was all covered by warranty.

2008 Astra
XR, Blue, 5Dr.
Adv. Audio, Sunroof, Leather, Sport Susp.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tskaling's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tskaling reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tskaling is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2010, 08:20 AM   #2
MGGDTW
MGGDTW is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: DRL Can be disabled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tskaling View Post
Somehow since the last time I had my car into the dealership the Daytime running lights stopped working (it might have happened during the servicing!?).

I took it in this week to fix it and they spent over a day trying to figure it out. Apparently something had to be reprogrammed since in was "disabled" in the software!?

I kinda wish I would have just left them off now.....but at least it was all covered by warranty.
Id be interested in some kind of switch to have them on or off. (The DRL's) But not disable them completely.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MGGDTW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MGGDTW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MGGDTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:38 PM   #3
paulff3
paulff3 will become famous soon enoughpaulff3 will become famous soon enough

What a f-ing tease. I'm going to beat the dog.

15 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Manual
14 BMW 435i M Sport 6speed
08 XR 5 speed - Blue with 3M film - SOLD!
03 Acura CLS 6speed - Silver with 3M film - SOLD!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to paulff3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help paulff3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
paulff3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

I believe that there's a difference in what can be done with a Tech2, and what requires "direct connection to the Internet for some sort of direct-from-GM reprogramming". The former is pretty quick while the latter can require an overnight stay to make sure the "download" is complete. The fact that your DRLs were initially disabled after a "reprogram" might have been an accident... not one that GM might be willing to do again on purpose to disable DRLs for people.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:29 AM   #5
Tempesta48
Tempesta48 is on a distinguished road

DRL can be disabled/enabled using original Tech2 or OPCOM. The front DRL can be set up under UEC and the rear DRL under REC, in case you have this module.

You can also set up to 5 different configurations.

Best regards!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tempesta48's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tempesta48 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tempesta48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:11 PM   #6
tskaling

2008 Astra XR

Any reason why now that my DRL's are back my stock radio won't tun itself on/off with the car? It used to!?

I get in the car, start it up, radio is not on, press it on.....drive and sing ......get to work, turn off the car and the radio is still going!? opening the door etc. does nothing.....I have to manually turn it off. Stupid GM.

2008 Astra
XR, Blue, 5Dr.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help tskaling reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-27-2010, 07:38 AM   #7
TBeck2000
TBeck2000 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tskaling View Post
Any reason why now that my DRL's are back my stock radio won't tun itself on/off with the car? It used to!?

I get in the car, start it up, radio is not on, press it on.....drive and sing ......get to work, turn off the car and the radio is still going!? opening the door etc. does nothing.....I have to manually turn it off. Stupid GM.
You need to go into your settings and change the radio's ignition logic. The procedure for your specific radio is in the owner's manual.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TBeck2000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TBeck2000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TBeck2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:49 PM   #8
tskaling

2008 Astra XR
Thumbs Up Re: DRL Can be disabled!

Ah yes, I forgot it could be changed in the settings.

I guess it got reset by their programming. I'll try it later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBeck2000 View Post
You need to go into your settings and change the radio's ignition logic. The procedure for your specific radio is in the owner's manual.

2008 Astra
XR, Blue, 5Dr.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-28-2010, 04:04 PM   #9
tskaling

2008 Astra XR
Thumbs Down Re: DRL Can be disabled!

The ignition logic was already enabled!?

Must be something else the dealership broke because they have no idea how to properly use a Tech2 I guess.

2008 Astra
XR, Blue, 5Dr.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-04-2010, 12:12 AM   #10
Aprime
Aprime is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra La Vista! View Post
I believe that there's a difference in what can be done with a Tech2, and what requires "direct connection to the Internet for some sort of direct-from-GM reprogramming". The former is pretty quick while the latter can require an overnight stay to make sure the "download" is complete. The fact that your DRLs were initially disabled after a "reprogram" might have been an accident... not one that GM might be willing to do again on purpose to disable DRLs for people.
My car's DRLs are disabled too.

Have been since the car has been reprogrammed.

Um.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Aprime's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Aprime reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Aprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:47 PM   #11
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aprime View Post
My car's DRLs are disabled too.

Have been since the car has been reprogrammed.

Um.
Like I said: there's a difference between a technician hooking up a Tech2, and them "hooking the car up to the Internet". When I had my SCCM (Steering Column Control Module) replaced, I was told that they would need the car overnight because the car would have to be reprogrammed via a direct link to Saturn and there was no way of knowing how long it would take. Sounds strange, but I was told of a similar thing by a friend working for BMW (BMWs are often connected in such a way during a visit to update the car's firmware).

What you can do with a Tech2, on the other hand, is much more limited. DRLs are mandated in Canada and the UK, as well as the Scandinavian countries in Europe -- primarily because of our higher latitude which makes our winter nights longer than those further south. Because it is mandated here, it would be illegal for a GM technician to be able to tamper with DRLs at the dealership level. AFAIK, everyone here that has walked into their dealership asking that the DRLs be disabled have been met with a "no can do". Another example with our cars is the lack of "auto-up" on our power windows. The feature is enabled in Europe but disabled here, because it was deemed by the DOT or NHTSA that the mechanisms applied too much force before stopping or reversing. The last thing they want are lawsuits from parents whose kids accidentally asphyxiated themselves using their power windows, so the feature is disabled on all our cars in North America.

But if your car was "reprogrammed" via a link to Saturn itself, it is possible that your DRLs were disabled by simple mistake. After all, DRLs aren't mandated in the USA.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-12-2010, 02:58 PM   #12
tskaling

2008 Astra XR

If the car needs to be "hooked up to the internet" for the DRL's to be disabled and that can take a long time, why did my "oil change" (2-3 hours max.) service get them disabled?

I asked him if they hooked it up to the tech2 and/or the internet and the service guy (ok ok, not the actual mechanic I know) said they just hooked it up to Tech2 for "routine diagnostics"....

Maybe it CAN be done via tech2, just illegally!?

Although for them to fix the problem, they did require the car overnight!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra La Vista! View Post
Like I said: there's a difference between a technician hooking up a Tech2, and them "hooking the car up to the Internet". When I had my SCCM (Steering Column Control Module) replaced, I was told that they would need the car overnight because the car would have to be reprogrammed via a direct link to Saturn and there was no way of knowing how long it would take. Sounds strange, but I was told of a similar thing by a friend working for BMW (BMWs are often connected in such a way during a visit to update the car's firmware).

What you can do with a Tech2, on the other hand, is much more limited. DRLs are mandated in Canada and the UK, as well as the Scandinavian countries in Europe -- primarily because of our higher latitude which makes our winter nights longer than those further south. Because it is mandated here, it would be illegal for a GM technician to be able to tamper with DRLs at the dealership level. AFAIK, everyone here that has walked into their dealership asking that the DRLs be disabled have been met with a "no can do". Another example with our cars is the lack of "auto-up" on our power windows. The feature is enabled in Europe but disabled here, because it was deemed by the DOT or NHTSA that the mechanisms applied too much force before stopping or reversing. The last thing they want are lawsuits from parents whose kids accidentally asphyxiated themselves using their power windows, so the feature is disabled on all our cars in North America.

But if your car was "reprogrammed" via a link to Saturn itself, it is possible that your DRLs were disabled by simple mistake. After all, DRLs aren't mandated in the USA.

2008 Astra
XR, Blue, 5Dr.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-27-2010, 11:36 PM   #13
MGGDTW

2008 Astra XR

For the record I seen a black or dark blue XR 5 door driving without DRL's on the other day. Didn't have time to turn around and chat or maybe I would have asked her bout it. But she probably didn't even know anyway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MGGDTW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-28-2010, 10:22 AM   #14
paulff3
paulff3 will become famous soon enoughpaulff3 will become famous soon enough

Were the parking lights on?

15 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Manual
14 BMW 435i M Sport 6speed
08 XR 5 speed - Blue with 3M film - SOLD!
03 Acura CLS 6speed - Silver with 3M film - SOLD!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to paulff3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help paulff3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
paulff3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:18 PM   #15
MGGDTW

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulff3 View Post
Were the parking lights on?
Parking lights were not on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-31-2010, 11:31 AM   #16
72gssaturn
Advanced Member
72gssaturn will become famous soon enough72gssaturn will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

i believe that he law in canada mandates running lights from the factory, but does not mandate that they have to work.

Gerry
72 Buick GS red
2008 Astra XR black 3dr
99 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 72gssaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 72gssaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
72gssaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:10 AM   #17
MGGDTW

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGGDTW View Post
For the record I seen a black or dark blue XR 5 door driving without DRL's on the other day. Didn't have time to turn around and chat or maybe I would have asked her bout it. But she probably didn't even know anyway.

First off sorry for bumping this thread. And also for quoting my own post from above.

So yesterday on my way to work I seen that exact same Astra again at the same spot I noticed last time! I took a triple take and I'm 100% positive there were no drl's on. Stock Astra otherwise with a middle age woman driving. Again I was driving in the opposite direction so I could not check it out much more than that.

How crazy would it be to set some kind of ambush to catch the woman at a light and ask her? Would she even know what I'm talking about? Probably not.

Only thing I could think is maybe the car was in a wreck and it was not reprogramed?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-02-2011, 12:52 AM   #18
Astra La Vista!

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGGDTW View Post
How crazy would it be to set some kind of ambush to catch the woman at a light and ask her?
I can see this ending badly:

DS Andy Cartwright: Everyone and their mums is packin' round here!
Nicholas Angel: Like who?
DS Andy Wainwright: Farmers.
Nicholas Angel: Who else?
DS Andy Cartwright: Farmers' mums.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-19-2018, 06:46 PM   #19
velocast
velocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura aboutvelocast has a spectacular aura about

Default OP-COM cannot disable our DRL

We can NOT disable our DRL via OP-COM Opel v1.95 (eBay software). The program is unable to identify our car system ID (do not confuse with the car pass card security code). The software asked me to enter the car pass code. It partially recognizes our Astra. So, there are not functions available we can program. The program developers have to add our Saturn Astra into the software. We can have access to time and clock set up, delete faulty codes, kind of basic access, and do some refreshing tasks. In an Opel/Vauxhall Astra, it just flies straight forward to program.

Because I am still testing my new Bi-Xenon Headlamps, I had a High Beam warning and my Connects2 Stalk got disable. The OP-COM helped me to refresh and clear out my CANbus.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to velocast's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help velocast reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
velocast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:04 PM   #20
maschinenbauer
maschinenbauer will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

What is the purpose of disabling them? I don't mind them. Better to be seen than not seen.

'08 Astra XE 5-speed
'72 Chevrolet El Camino
'31 Ford Model A pickup

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to maschinenbauer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help maschinenbauer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
maschinenbauer is offline   Reply With Quote