SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 03:13 PM   #1
Rozzwell
Rozzwell is on a distinguished road

Default Ball joint? Or not?

Hey guys,

I've done a lot of searching on this, but I'm just basically looking for some good solid facts based on my situation. I'm pretty sure I have all of the information I need, but it never hurts to ask anyways.

Here goes. I have a 94 SL2 with 130k on it. Runs great, fuel mileage has sucked a little lately, but that's another story. Anyways, I noticed a little bit of excessive wear on the inside of the front tires, the wear is consistent between the two front tires, just looks like the toe-in needs to be adjusted.

So I take it into Sears to have them align it. The guy puts it up on a jack and tries to shake the tire. The tire moves, so he comes in and says "the driver's side has a bad ball joint, you'll need to replace it" .

Now, the car tracks straight on the highway, no shaking of the steering wheel, no wierd vibrations, everything seems fine. I wouldn't have taken it in for anything if I hadn't noticed the tire wear (and I've been looking really, really close at the tires lately, just because they're new). I guess I'm really doubting that this car has a bad joint, b/c in my experience when a balljoint is bad, you notice the car generally being a PITA.

My question to you guys is that is is possible for the car to have a bad ball joint anyways? Despite there being no symptoms? I just don't want to be taken to the cleaners by Sears, so I'm looking for an online "second opinion".

If there's anything I can try myself to check for the joint, let me know.

Also, if the joint "is" bad, how hard is it to replace? Is it worth paying the shop $80 (labor) + $150 (parts) to take care of it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rozzwell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rozzwell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2003, 03:53 PM   #2
Qlara
Master Member
Qlara is on a distinguished road

Maybe it's the front bearing, or the lower control arm bushing wore out.

With that high miles, guess you need new struts already......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Qlara's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Qlara reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-12-2003, 04:25 PM   #3
Rozzwell
Rozzwell is on a distinguished road

Struts were just replaced, so I know that's not the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rozzwell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rozzwell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-12-2003, 11:13 PM   #4
Saturn-Eh!
Saturn-Eh! is on a distinguished road

Yes, the lower ball joint can be in a state needing replacement without any other outward symptoms. The first sign of a bad balljoint is usually clunking over bumps.

To check the balljoint on an s-series, raise the car so that the wheel(s) are off the ground, then pry between the steering knuckle and the lower control arm. Any visually discernable play indicates the balljoint/contol arm combo needs to be replaced.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn-Eh!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn-Eh! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread