SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2016, 03:07 PM   #1
TombedOrchestra
TombedOrchestra will become famous soon enough

Default Ball Joint How To

Hello there!

So I'm pretty sure I diagnosed my new issue as needing a ball joint on the driver front of my '05 Vue 4 cyl with 130k. (Terrible clunking when steering / bumps; and play heard when moving steering wheel in park).

Are there any VIDEOS available for doing a ball joint on this vehicle? Or maybe another vehicle with the same process / components that would get me CLOSE to what I would need to do on this vehicle?

Manual says you need to drill out rivets. What are the function of these rivets? Do you need to replace them with anything after drilling them out?

Some people have said you need to remove whole control arm. Is this necessary? I think you can get some control arms with ball joint in it? Would this be easier for a DIY mechanic with little time to devote to this project?

Thank you!!!

Big thing is needing the video...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TombedOrchestra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TombedOrchestra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TombedOrchestra is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2016, 03:51 PM   #2
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L
Default Re: Ball Joint How To

Tombed,
The ball joint replacement isn't bad.. You can do it one of two ways. Replace the whole lower control arm, or just the ball joint. The rivets are holding the ball joint into the lower control arm. If you grind or drill them out you can remove the ball joint from the control arm. It may take a few wacks with a hammer, but it will come out. The rivets are replaced by nuts and bolts that will come with the new ball joint.
Replacing the control arm is a bit more in-depth, but still not that difficult... You would need an alignment afterwards though. It is one bolt on the front of the control arm, two on the back, plus the ball joint crown nut...

John

aka
Lord_Varon
07 Vue V6 AWD LOADED!!! aka SUPER CRITTER!!! Sadly gone, and definitely missed.
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lord_varon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lord_varon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lord_varon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 04:08 PM   #3
TombedOrchestra

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_varon View Post
Tombed,
The ball joint replacement isn't bad.. You can do it one of two ways. Replace the whole lower control arm, or just the ball joint. The rivets are holding the ball joint into the lower control arm. If you grind or drill them out you can remove the ball joint from the control arm. It may take a few wacks with a hammer, but it will come out. The rivets are replaced by nuts and bolts that will come with the new ball joint.
Replacing the control arm is a bit more in-depth, but still not that difficult... You would need an alignment afterwards though. It is one bolt on the front of the control arm, two on the back, plus the ball joint crown nut...

John
Excellent. So, do you need a special drill for drilling out these rivets? Will my $99 dewalt cordless drill for household projects work here for is that way under powered for it? And do I need special drill bits? I have masonry bits.

Manual states using a picklefork / wedge method .. this is to PRY out the ball joint, right? Another method recommends using a puller.. I'm assuming this is a special tool you get that will pull the ball joint out? Would you recommend using one method over another?

Thank you for your quick response!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help TombedOrchestra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-08-2016, 04:14 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Member Chazberry has pictures; http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=203023

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:33 PM   #5
lord_varon
Advanced Member
lord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of lightlord_varon is a glorious beacon of light

2008 VUE 3.6L

Tombed,
Regular drill bits capable of drilling steel would work, or a grinder to grind the rivets off flush. A pickle fork to pop the ball joint out of the spindle after you pull the castle nut is needed also... After that you should be able to smack it with a hammer or a mallet to knock it out... Riveted in ball joints are easier to remove than press fit style...

John

aka
Lord_Varon
07 Vue V6 AWD LOADED!!! aka SUPER CRITTER!!! Sadly gone, and definitely missed.
08 Equinox Sport 3.6 6 spd auto, AWD, even more loaded. And the jury is still out on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lord_varon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lord_varon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lord_varon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:47 PM   #6
billysvue
Master Member
billysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the roughbillysvue is a jewel in the rough

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
a grinder to grind the rivets off flush
John
Exactly, then you knock old BJ out with the remainder of the rivets in it.

If rust is a factor, then a steel drift, centered on the cutoff rivets still stuck in the Aarm ,(and a hammer) is your friend. Or a couple a easy whacks on the old BJ itself, may work.

THe only drilling that may come into play is to size up the holes in the arm for the BJ bolts used.

I did mine after pulling off the Aarms. It's easier to work on, that way.

'05 ,2.2L, FWD,5-speed stick with transaxle death rattle is history,,,
'17 Suby Forester

245216 mi. VUe is off to the dealer auction
I'm a secondhand vegetarian.
Cows eat grass, I eat cows.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:25 PM   #7
TombedOrchestra

Quote:
Tombed,
Regular drill bits capable of drilling steel would work, or a grinder to grind the rivets off flush. A pickle fork to pop the ball joint out of the spindle after you pull the castle nut is needed also... After that you should be able to smack it with a hammer or a mallet to knock it out... Riveted in ball joints are easier to remove than press fit style...

John
Awesome. And BillysVue, I read your follow up to this, and thanks as well. I'll give this a go as soon as I get my car home. I had to leave it at work (35 min drive away...).

I was thinking about trying to drive it home on Friday, but then had a feeling it would snap on the way and cause way more damage. I think I'll probably use my AAA towing to get it home then work on it.

Is there any type of clues as to if the car is driveable on it or not? (i.e., if it's making this noise then don't, or if it feels like THIS then definitely don't...) etc etc? It'd be much easier and less of a hassle to drive it home than get it towed... but along the same lines, I'd rather get home in one piece than have way more damage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!