SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Mods and Performance
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2003, 03:34 PM   #1
Applefool
Master Member
Applefool is on a distinguished road

2006 ION Red Line
Default help picking muffler

I am currently redoing an exhaust that wasn't done right the first time. At this time I am shopping for a muffler. It's going on a 95 SL2 with OEM Header, AEM CAI, 55mm TB and Magnecore wires. The plan is to run 2.25" piping from the cat (hollow) to one of the mufflers linked below. I'm mainly going for preformance, though the muffler needs to look good, and not be outrageously loud as I'd rather listen to my exhaust growl. Let me know which of these you guys like, or if other muffler / exhaust setups might be better.

Muffler 1

Mufler 2

Thanks...

2011 Audi TT (modified)
2007 Mercedes E550 (stock)
1999 Expedition (Stock)
2007 Ion Coupe (Daughters eventually)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Applefool's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Applefool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2003, 04:05 PM   #2
WHITE98SL2
Advanced Member
WHITE98SL2 is on a distinguished road

Muffler 2.

I would suggest getting a www.dynomax.com ultra-flo Stainless steel muffler. I had mine installed two weeks ago and its the best sounding muffler I've heard on the Saturn. The sound is very deep and quiet to moderate in noise level. It comes with a Lifetime warranty, but you will have to pick out a tip. This is an advantage in my opionion. I picked out a double walled stainless single tip with a 3 inch outlet. Any larger and it starts looking ricey. The best prices I found are at www.summitracing.com and at www.jegs.com.

Dynomax is offering a 25.00 dollar rebate until May, 31 2003.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WHITE98SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WHITE98SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2003, 06:16 PM   #3
Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

$25 rebate! Score! I'd go with muffler number two, also.

'00 SL2m- DD, 186K miles
'05 Honda CR-V- wife's DD and my upright bass hauler
'84 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk- toy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Twin_Cam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Twin_Cam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2003, 06:42 PM   #4
SLeepr
Master Member
SLeepr is on a distinguished road

Yes yes, DYNOMAX!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLeepr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLeepr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2003, 07:17 PM   #5
MydnightMyst
Advanced Member
MydnightMyst is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1997 SC2

Muffler number 2. I don't particularly like the looks of two tips pointing up.. Looks funny to me. I saw one of those on a Beretta today. Nah..
I like muffler number two.
What kind of budget are ya looking at? Do you want dual tips on your muffler or will one tip do?
Reason I ask is because SPS has a great line of mufflers/exhaust systems. http://www.spswebpage.com/products/exhaust.html
I also like the Dynomax! I had one on my old GTA. Great product. Dunno how it is for Saturn...
Borla is my absolute fave! I had one on the '98 T/A. Expensive though, and I don't think they make anything for Saturn anymore either.. They had the best sound for V8's, with the right amount of performance gain.. Oh well, we have four cylinders.. So, check out SPS, get muffler number 2, or Dynomax..

~Christena J. Snowden~
1996 Saturn SL2 drag car
1996 Saturn SL2 street car
1997 Saturn SC2, 2003 OLOA class winner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MydnightMyst's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MydnightMyst reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2003, 07:57 PM   #6
socketz
socketz is on a distinguished road

Dynomax.

Hands-down. If you don't need the glamour of polished stainless steel, the Dynomax SuperTurbo is a great value. use a resonator (glasspack) inline with the muffler and you will be very happy with the sound.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to socketz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help socketz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2003, 08:11 PM   #7
Applefool
Master Member

2006 ION Red Line

I have a thrush turbo on there now - Definitely want to go with something nicer to look at. I'm not looking for value so much as something that matches up with what I want the car to look like.

2011 Audi TT (modified)
1999 Expedition (Stock)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Applefool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2003, 08:11 PM   #8
Abe95SC2
Abe95SC2 is on a distinguished road

Both of those so called mufflers are going to be outrageously loud and with tips that are 4" will look rediculous.

I'm with the others and say get a dynomax or even a flowmaster.

Abe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Abe95SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Abe95SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2003, 11:52 PM   #9
Kpendrgn
Kpendrgn is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

I say muffler 2

Anyone have experience with Arospeed mufflers? I have a georgeous dual-tipped (tips are 3.5 inches long and 2.5 inches high, kinda squarish, very cool) arospeed sitting in my room that my boyfriend gave to me. Is this guy going to be super insane fartishly loud?

-Chrissy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kpendrgn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kpendrgn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-08-2003, 12:09 AM   #10
SLeepr
Master Member
SLeepr is on a distinguished road

My best guess? Yes

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLeepr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLeepr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-08-2003, 12:20 AM   #11
Sattyinsnow
Sattyinsnow is on a distinguished road

when you say add the glass pack also with the muffler that with or without the cat? or does it matter where you life (smog and etc. by laws)? and what would it do if i didnt have a cat and just the staight pipe and glass pack w/ say a dinomax super turbo?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sattyinsnow's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sattyinsnow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-08-2003, 01:30 PM   #12
spydrwebb
spydrwebb is on a distinguished road

Muffler 2, no contest.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spydrwebb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spydrwebb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-08-2003, 02:58 PM   #13
JohnS_98
JohnS_98 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
1999 SL2
Thumbs Up

Muffler #2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JohnS_98's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JohnS_98 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2003, 10:12 AM   #14
1993SC2
Advanced Member
1993SC2 is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

There's a couple of Jettas at muy school with the 2 'point 'em up' outlet mufflers, and it's just so tempting to go over and straighten them out. Muffler no.2 looks sweet.

Then: 1993SC2m
Now: 1996 Jeep XJ, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1993SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1993SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2003, 10:24 AM   #15
HiWire
HiWire has a spectacular aura aboutHiWire has a spectacular aura aboutHiWire has a spectacular aura about

2001 SC2
Thumbs Up Muffler 2

Pretty good looking, if that's what you're into... I prefer a single tip myself. I wonder how good the performance will be? I'll probably be buying a performance muffler myself - what's the best in terms of performance/sound reduction? I can afford and would prefer stainless steel.

Modified SC2

Take it to the track

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HiWire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HiWire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2003, 02:21 PM   #16
bbarbulo
Advanced Member
bbarbulo is on a distinguished road

I like both... I was considering DTM for mine, but I like the second one a lot better now that I've seen it. Reminds me of Remus exhausts. Personally, though, I'd buy Borla, Dynomax, or Flowmaster for the Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bbarbulo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bbarbulo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2003, 03:53 PM   #17
SoCalSaturnsGuzzis
SoCalSaturnsGuzzis is on a distinguished road

Given the choice of muffler 1 or 2, definitely #2. That being said, I'd go with the suggestion of the person who said to get the Dynomax in stainless with a tip. Unless your car has the cutout to accomodate dual tips, they'll hang down below the lip and look "not right". Heck, you could even get one of those Monza-style resonated pencil tips, straight or angled, in 3" that would look a lot better than either of those dual-tipped mufflers.

Robert
'02 LW300 (with dual mufflers with single 3" tips)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SoCalSaturnsGuzzis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SoCalSaturnsGuzzis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-09-2003, 04:17 PM   #18
Applefool
Master Member

2006 ION Red Line

Well I want the volume to be acceptable with a OEM header, gutted cat, and 2.25" piping back to a muffler. I guess I'm going to try to find a dynomax with a reasonable tip. I really don't like the look of it, but I'm more concerned about volume.

2011 Audi TT (modified)
1999 Expedition (Stock)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!