SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2014, 10:25 PM   #21
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Re: Transmission cooler line replacement?

Welcome!

Are you replacing the radiator or the lines?

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2014, 12:05 PM   #22
m0topilot
m0topilot is on a distinguished road

I just wanted to reply to close out my experience. One of the lines from Autozone, I had to sand down with 280 grit sand paper because the quick disconnect part was out of spec while the other fit nicely. It was suggested by the autozone guy to sand it removing 0.001 of material at time. It took me about 5 minutes of twisting and turning the nozzel, but managed to get it to fit. Snapped right back in, and everything looks good - no leaks thank God.

This forum was indespensable in me saving a lot of money doing it myself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to m0topilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help m0topilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
m0topilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:01 AM   #23
Mark121
Mark121 has a spectacular aura aboutMark121 has a spectacular aura aboutMark121 has a spectacular aura about

1998 SL2

[QUOTE=Low Saturn;937183]There are quick disconnects on the transmision side. You pinch the tabs and the line slides off.

First of sorry for bring back such old thread but since its my first time posting, I cant post pictures my question, is does anyone know if the bottom trans line or top trans line is the return line to transmission?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mark121's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mark121 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mark121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:30 AM   #24
wekoenig3
wekoenig3 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

I realize this is an old thread, but I'm a noob to this sort of thing. I have a 95 SL1 and the lines to the radiator are frozen. Like a previous poster, I tried WD40, Liquid Wrench, Vise Grips, and heat. Autozone has the lines with the radiator end already installed. Are the QD's all that easy to use? Thanks!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wekoenig3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wekoenig3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wekoenig3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 11:38 AM   #25
Steve44
Steve44 will become famous soon enoughSteve44 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1
1999 SL2

The trouble with the aftermarket lines are the QD's. They are a pain in the butt. Some folks have had to sand down or even cut the trans end of the line for the QD to work. If you can get AC Delco lines (Rock auto is where I got mine) they are basically plug and play. You may need a good pair of pliers to squeeze the QD's.
Good Luck!

The SL1...The Lucky Car
The SL2..The awesome deal.
The #3 Silver SL2 FIVE SPEED!
World's biggest fan of doing it the easy way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Steve44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Steve44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Steve44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:24 AM   #26
Stanley_Krute
Stanley_Krute has a spectacular aura aboutStanley_Krute has a spectacular aura about

1999 SW2
1999 SL1

Augggh, hit this problem today while replacing the radiator on my 99 SW2.

Interestingly, haha, the RichPin video barely mentioned the auto. trans. cooler lines in passing, and didn't talk about this can of worms.

Question: before using the quick disconnects on the auto trans. side, do I have to drain any fluids or do anything else ? Will fluid want to leak out while the lines are disconnected ?

Thanks as always to everyone who makes saturnfans.com indispensible.

-- stan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Stanley_Krute's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Stanley_Krute reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Stanley_Krute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:02 PM   #27
Stanley_Krute
Stanley_Krute has a spectacular aura aboutStanley_Krute has a spectacular aura about

1999 SW2
1999 SL1

Just by the way: here are the part numbers for my 99 Saturn SW2 :

ACDelco 21001873 GM Original Equipment Automatic Transmission Fluid Cooler Line Fitting

ACDelco 21031306 GM Original Equipment Automatic Transmission Fluid Cooler Upper Line

ACDelco 21031307 GM Original Equipment Automatic Transmission Fluid Cooler Lower Line

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Stanley_Krute reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-04-2016, 08:10 PM   #28
Stanley_Krute

1999 SW2
1999 SL1

Got this all done. Some notes:

1. Yes, I had to plug the quick-release lines until I had the new AT cooler lines in. I used a 1/4" wooden dowel wrapped in shop paper towel and outer plastic bag.

2. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to get the GM AT cooler lines, and so used Dorman 3rd party versions. As others noted, yep, grrrr, they're a bit too big on the quick-release side, so I sanded with 220 sandpaper and all worked.

3. The Dorman lower AT cooler line had a larger-size nut on the radiator side. It required a 1/2" flare wrench.

4. I had a small leak show up from the upper AT cooler line where it enters the radiator after driving a few miles. It just needed tightening up. From pretty snug to really snug.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-04-2016, 09:00 PM   #29
Stanley_Krute

1999 SW2
1999 SL1

Oh, also : Dorman part numbers for my 99 SW2 :

Upper AT Cooler Line 624-983
Lower AT Cooler Line 624-984

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-12-2018, 11:11 AM   #30
Consultant611
Consultant611 is on a distinguished road

Ran into the same problem on 1996 SL2 - bottom line rusted and leaking.
Thought for sure I would have to replace the radiator.

Used CRC Freeze-Off - hit it three times with a long spray (15-20 seconds) and used vice grips on the flare nut. It came free.

By the way, the large retainer nut you see around the flare nut fitting merely holds the inner cooler against the seal with the radiator - no need to have a wrench on it when working on the flare nut. Just don't go crazy with the torque on the flare nut.

Replaced both the line and the transmission side quick connect with GM OEM parts. About $29 including shipping.

Took about an hour with the lower line (used floor jack - didn't have to remove the front tire), and about 1.5 hour messing with the upper quick connect (18mm socket or wrench to remove). You need to remove air filter and get induction hose out of the way to get access. You need a quick connect tool to slide over the line to open the clips, but most won't fit due to the curves in the lines and the clearance (or lack thereof) Fabricated a tool from some split polyethylene 1/4" line - worked like a charm.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Consultant611's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Consultant611 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Consultant611 is offline   Reply With Quote