SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2018, 07:07 PM   #1
Purplebrakes
Purplebrakes is on a distinguished road

Default Rpmís

Wondering what peopleís rpmís run at at 70mph. My 96 sl1 runs at 3k rpm going down the highway at 70mph. Wondering if thatís normal?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Purplebrakes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Purplebrakes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Purplebrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2018, 09:09 PM   #2
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
Default Re: Rpmís

Is this a manual transmission? If so:

3K rpm @ 70mph/110kmh is normal for the transmission that originally shipped with the DOHC version. If your ride really is an SOHC, the factory transmission would probably show 2500rpm @ 70 -- it's geared taller. It's possible a prior owner swapped in a DOHC transmission for the original.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:26 PM   #3
sc2 saturn
sc2 saturn is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hholbein View Post

3K rpm @ 70mph/110kmh is normal for the transmission that originally shipped with the DOHC version. If your ride really is an SOHC, the factory transmission would probably show 2500rpm @ 70 -- it's geared taller. It's possible a prior owner swapped in a DOHC transmission for the original.
yup thats about what my runs at my is a 01 sc2 dohc 5spd and it runs at 3k-3100 around 112kmh

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sc2 saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sc2 saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sc2 saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:42 PM   #4
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

My 1995 SC2 pushes the 2,800rpm mark, at 70mph. I have the 4-speed Auto.

As far as what is "normal" rpm for these cars, it depends on transmission gearing, final drive ratio, and tire/wheel diameter.

I have stock 15" teardrop alloy wheels, stock tires, and a stock gear set.

I can list my car, as a reference:
Final Drive: 4.133:1
4th Gear: 0.700:1
Tire/Wheel Diameter: ~23.74in.
Estimated Engine RPM @ 70mph: 2869rpm

http://spicerparts.com/calculators/t...rpm-calculator

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 02:48 PM   #5
Purplebrakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hholbein View Post

Itís a DOHC automatic. I have no clue if the transmission has ever been swapped. It was parked for a few months due to an issue that I procrastinated fixing. I just started driving it again and thought 3k rpm was high for 70mph. I seem to remember(but not 100% sure) it being at 2500 rpm at 70mph when I was driving it before. Didnít know if 3k was normal, or if it was not going into overdrive or 4th causing it to run at 3k.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Purplebrakes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-04-2018, 04:47 PM   #6
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Saturn Night said "
My 1995 SC2 pushes the 2,800rpm mark, at 70mph. I have the 4-speed Auto."

I took special notice yesterday to watch mine, so I now can say:
"My 1996 Sub pushed the 1,800 rpm mark, at 70 mph. I have a 4-speed Auto"
---- altho, the Sub is a 350 vortec Suburban. 1,600 rpm at 60 mph

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:13 AM   #7
Jonasan308
Advanced Member
Jonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of light

1999 SC1

2500 at 70 mph is normal for my automatic SOHC. Id be spinning like 3k at 80 mph

1999 Saturn SL1-129k at purchase(may 2016)-139k when wrecked(September 2016)

1999 Saturn SC1(CURSED)-156K at purchase(october 2016)-194k currently (Nov 2018)
Dodging potholes should be a sport

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonasan308's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonasan308 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonasan308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:18 AM   #8
Purplebrakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonasan308 View Post
2500 at 70 mph is normal for my automatic SOHC. Id be spinning like 3k at 80 mph

I have to set the cruise at about 62mph to be as low as 2500rpm.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-05-2018, 11:21 AM   #9
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I love the SL2 gearing on the highway. At 70 I am turning 3000. If I need to pass or climb a hill there is no shifting required. It still has zip.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:41 AM   #10
Purplebrakes

So what makes some run at higher rpm and others at lower rpm? I still donít know if itís normal for mine to run that high..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-05-2018, 01:39 PM   #11
Jonasan308
Advanced Member
Jonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of light

1999 SC1

Hmm. What kind of tires are you running? I have 185/70R14. Tire size and wheel size has something to do with it as well.

1999 Saturn SC1(CURSED)-156K at purchase(october 2016)-194k currently (Nov 2018)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jonasan308 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-05-2018, 07:31 PM   #12
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
Saturn Night said "
My 1995 SC2 pushes the 2,800rpm mark, at 70mph. I have the 4-speed Auto."

I took special notice yesterday to watch mine, so I now can say:
"My 1996 Sub pushed the 1,800 rpm mark, at 70 mph. I have a 4-speed Auto"
---- altho, the Sub is a 350 vortec Suburban. 1,600 rpm at 60 mph
Your Suburban also has a much taller rear-axle ratio(Final Drive Ratio), probably 3.23:1 as the 4L60E transmission has a 0.700:1 4th Gear Ratio(Which is identical to the 700-R4 that was replaced by the 4L60E transmission in those models).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-05-2018, 07:35 PM   #13
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplebrakes View Post
Itís a DOHC automatic. I have no clue if the transmission has ever been swapped. It was parked for a few months due to an issue that I procrastinated fixing. I just started driving it again and thought 3k rpm was high for 70mph. I seem to remember(but not 100% sure) it being at 2500 rpm at 70mph when I was driving it before. Didnít know if 3k was normal, or if it was not going into overdrive or 4th causing it to run at 3k.
According to your initial post:

Quote:
Wondering what peopleís rpmís run at at 70mph. My 96 sl1 runs at 3k rpm going down the highway at 70mph. Wondering if thatís normal?
So, which is it?

And to clarify whether the transmission has ever been swapped:

The PCM has calculations for the gear ratios of the automatics.

If the taller, MP6(Sx1 transmission) is swapped into an Sx2 car(or vice versa), the car will have no gears due to all 4 gears sending DTCs for "Incorrect Ratio".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-05-2018, 09:55 PM   #14
Purplebrakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
According to your initial post:

So, which is it?

And to clarify whether the transmission has ever been swapped:

The PCM has calculations for the gear ratios of the automatics.

If the taller, MP6(Sx1 transmission) is swapped into an Sx2 car(or vice versa), the car will have no gears due to all 4 gears sending DTCs for "Incorrect Ratio".
So what is what?
Itís a 96 sl1 DOHC with an automatic. The tires are 185/60R15.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2018, 10:19 AM   #15
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

Quote:
So what is what?
Itís a 96 sl1 DOHC with an automatic. The tires are 185/60R15.
Did you read my last response, about the differences between an Sx1 and an Sx2 Saturn S-Series?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2018, 02:09 PM   #16
Jonasan308
Advanced Member

1999 SC1

96 SL1 DOHC?
As in, you have an SL1, with grey bumpers, but undernearth the hood sits a DOHC engine with the black valve color. With the DOHC automatic transmission?

The biggest difference between the transmission of the SOHC (SL1/SC1/SW1) and the DOHC (SL1/SC2/SW2) Is the gear ratios being shorter on the DOHC for performance. This will also mean higher revs on the highway. If you really have a DOHC than your revs sound about right.

Also, how high can your car rev?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2018, 08:17 PM   #17
Purplebrakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonasan308 View Post
96 SL1 DOHC?
As in, you have an SL1, with grey bumpers, but undernearth the hood sits a DOHC engine with the black valve color. With the DOHC automatic transmission?

The biggest difference between the transmission of the SOHC (SL1/SC1/SW1) and the DOHC (SL1/SC2/SW2) Is the gear ratios being shorter on the DOHC for performance. This will also mean higher revs on the highway. If you really have a DOHC than your revs sound about right.

Also, how high can your car rev?
No, I have color matched bumpers. And yes the valve cover is black. I have no clue if itís the original transmission or not. Itís been in the family for around 8 years or so and I do know that a different transmission has never been put in it since it was bought by my dad.

Do they put DOHC in SL1ís? Because according to what you typed i take it as they do.

The tach says redline is at 6500. Iíve never tested it to see if it goes higher.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2018, 08:31 PM   #18
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:

Do they put DOHC in SL1’s? Because according to what you typed i take it as they do.

The tach says redline is at 6500. I’ve never tested it to see if it goes higher.
No, the DOHC only came in the SL2/SC2/SW2 S Series. The SOHC went into the SL/SL1/SC1/SW1. The 1991 SC is an anomaly and only came with a DOHC. The 6500 redline is indicative of a DOHC engine. I'm pretty confident that you have an SL2 and if it says SL1 on your ownership then it is wrong.

SL2 would also have better seats with height and lumbar adjustments, a rear deck panel that would make the rear lights appear to go from side to side (as opposed to body colour between), painted door handles & bumpers, rear sway bar, a beefier front sway bar, tachometer with a 6500 redline and the DOHC engine would have the plugs across the centre rather than on the front edge as does the SOHC.

2001 SL1 MT (423,500 km @ 10/2018)
1999 SL2 MT (267,940 km @ 10/2018)
2011 Suburban LT (116,506 km @ 10/2018)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

:canada:

Last edited by trottida; 03-06-2018 at 08:39 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:34 PM   #19
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

Quote:

Do they put DOHC in SL1ís? Because according to what you typed i take it as they do.
No.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_S-Series

As quoted: "The 1 or 2 (or lack thereof) in the model designation signifies which engine the vehicle has, and transmissions were kept specific to each engine. All S-Series used either the SOHC LK0/L24, or the DOHC LL0 version of the completely original, designed in-house Saturn 1.9L engine. Logically, the 1 designates a vehicle with an SOHC engine, whereas a 2 designates a vehicle with a DOHC engine. SL and SW models with no number are base models, with all manual options and the SOHC engine."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2018, 09:11 PM   #20
Jonasan308
Advanced Member

1999 SC1

There we go. So, according to that, you have an SL2. In that case, 3000 RPM at 70 is normal for your car then because you have the shorter ratio transmission.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!