SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
Im-not-guilty
Im-not-guilty is on a distinguished road

Default Clutch guru's please read...New clutch slips after replacement ???

2001 sl2......
110k miles
Clutch grabbed at the top...but did not slip..
Purchased a replacement kit from advanced auto parts...I got the better kit they said something about self adjusting ???
Anyway swapped out the clutch pressure plate and bearing ...
Gave the flywheel a quick scuff and put back togother....
Now clutch slips extremely bad...
Barely moves on flat ground. ....pedal feels ok.. Removed slave inspected and reinstalled .. Same thing???..
Maybe I put the disc in backwards???
Pulled trans out again ....
Disc was in correctly all looks ok??.. Wtf...
Reassemble and retry clutch still slips park brake on let clutch out in 1st gear gear won't even stall.. Huh...
Removed slave again and left off .. Jumped the clutch switch beside the pedal....
Started up in 1st gear and car took off And then I stalled it by putting the brakes on ......
Problem must be the slave not releasing all the way...
...ok so now I shortened the slave apply pin about 1/2 inch ."ground the end off". reinstalled ...
pedal still feels good ..now grabs where it should feels like it bites pretty good when taking off .. ..
Take it for a spin and slips under a load...
Ok now I go get a new slave/master assy and install...
Pedal feels good seems to grab at the right spot . But still slips under acceleration down the road.....
I'm out of ideas. What am I missing??
Thanks in advance

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Im-not-guilty's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Im-not-guilty reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Im-not-guilty is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2013, 10:55 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Clutch guru's please read...New clutch slips after replacement ???

The only clutch assemblies that reliably function are the OEM units. If you want the max grab in a stock clutch then use the 99 and older LUK 04-115 kit and be sure to verify the part number because they will try and woof off an acceptable substitute on you. Your problem is quite common. If you want the softer engagement of the later clutch then use the LUK kit for your model year, 04-193. The price difference is about 30.00 and the later one is the expensive one. It is also near mandatory to replace or surface the flywheel when replacing the clutch.

This guy sells the correct kit. http://www.ebay.com/itm/LUK-PREMIUM-...item23290ef913 This is the 91-99 version

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LUK-CLUTCH-K...item5d3becd100 This is the 00-02 version

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:19 PM   #3
Im-not-guilty

Thanks for help man... You say this is common . I searched for a while and could not come up with any thing similar...?..?.....?.
I don't need any thing special for a clutch just something that works....
I have done a hand full of clutch jobs in the older saturns but not the 01-02 style setup.. Never had a issue ...with the others ......
At least their simple to do...
Read something about having to adjust the pressure plate..??
Description of this clutch I got says it self adjusting??..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Im-not-guilty reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-27-2013, 11:12 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Almost all hydraulic clutches are self adjusting and there is no other adjustment. You can order the correct LUK kit for the 00-02 and it will work.
There is no pressure plate adjustment. There are no adjustments for any S Series Saturn clutch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-27-2013, 11:33 PM   #5
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Your 2001 uses an adjusting pressure plate. It is supposed to be adjusted all the way against the adjuster springs pressure before installing it. I have not installed one without doing the adjustment so I am not sure if it would cause the slipping that you are getting if it is installed without doing the adjustment.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:50 AM   #6
Im-not-guilty

No instructions included, I just remembered the parts guy said if I buy the better kit it was self adjusting??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-28-2013, 07:14 AM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

According to the FSM you have to compress the springs as stated above. If you want the directions send me your e-mail in a PM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-31-2013, 10:18 PM   #8
Im-not-guilty

So I took the slave out ...jumped the clutch switch ...started it in 4th gear and headed down the road.!!.
No slip..
Fork is not releasing all the way from the pressure of the slave???
Removed the slave pin and took a little off the end reassembled and test drove ...
Well after 6 attempts and approx 1-1/4 " taken off the pin..
It no longer slips.
...pedal feel never changed .. Old clutch new clutch new hydraulic assy shortened pin. .pedalalways feels the same. ...
Pedal grabs kinda high which it did originally ...
Cutch is kinda soft .... No banging 2 nd gear if you know what I mean..
But no more slip... Any idea,s or just run it??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-31-2013, 10:25 PM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That is what all the adjustment mentioned above takes care of. If you cut the rod and it works might as well live with it because if you adjust the cover then the rod will be short and you will be replacing the hydraulics.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-01-2013, 06:13 AM   #10
Im-not-guilty

I cut the old rod.. Still have the. New one

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-01-2013, 07:57 AM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

To adjust that thing you have to open it up again. If you want the instructions I need an e-mail address as it is too large to post.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2018, 10:45 AM   #12
Sl1der
Sl1der is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Re: Clutch guru's please read...New clutch slips after replacement ???

I have a 2000 Saturn SL1 I replaced the clutch throw out bearing pressure plate and hydraulic cable assembly less than 2 years ago. The clutch has started slipping again and I know the parts aren't wore out already how did cutting the PIN work out for you I'm considering removing the slave cylinder and shortening the pin myself but I was wondering if there was a way to check the pressure plate without removing everything any help or advice would be greatly appreciated thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sl1der's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sl1der reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sl1der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:22 PM   #13
OldNuc

1998 SC2

It is a self adjusting system and fiddling with the pin will accomplish nothing. If the front seal is leaking that is why it slips.

Wire test...
Clutch Wire Test
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ight=wire+test
How it works
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=183128

REWARD EXCELLENCE!