SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 04-13-2014, 10:09 AM   #1
theiss04
theiss04 is on a distinguished road

Default I keep blowing my turn signal fuse when I turn the key to on. hazards work

I have a 97 saturn sl. I made a huge mistake and tried to jump start the cwr with no battery in it. I blew the computer and replaced that, now every time I turn the key to on it blows my signal fuse. My hazards work and everything else works fine. I checked all the bulbs, they are all fine, I changed the flasher relay and still nothing. Now I noticed that when I turn the headlights on the blinker bulbs turn on solid, even in thw front. Anyone have any ideas?
theiss04 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2014, 02:49 PM   #2
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: I keep blowing my turn signal fuse when I turn the key to on. hazards work

Are you sure it's the signal filaments that are lighting up in the front when you turn on the headlights, and not the parking lights?
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:54 PM   #3
theiss04

Default Re: I keep blowing my turn signal fuse when I turn the key to on. hazards work

Yeah the bulbs are amber and the flash when I turn on the hazards.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:02 PM   #4
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Obviously it's amber; the parking lights and signals share the same bulb. The question is, are you sure it's the filaments for the signals that are lighting up with the headlights, and not the parking light filaments?
Old 04-13-2014, 05:13 PM   #5
theiss04

They are right next to my headlights. I never saw front amber parking lights before. How can I tell which filament is supposed to be lit?
Old 04-16-2014, 04:27 AM   #6
theiss04

Yes it was my parking light filament on. Any suggestions to make the fuse stop blowing?
Old 08-25-2014, 08:59 PM   #7
theiss04

Anyone have any ideas? I changed all the bulbs now and still it keeps blowing the fuse when i turn the car to on.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:24 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

I bet you fused some wiring together. You are going to have to trace down the wiring and the most likely spot for this to happen is across the top of the radiator. The wiring runs from left to right side over the top of the radiator.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:59 PM   #9
madpogue

1996 SW2

If it's blowing with the key in RUN, even without activating the switch, I would say the switch is the prime suspect. Time to pull the wheel and disconnect it, see if that makes the problem go away at least.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:16 AM   #10
007 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2000 SL1

I once had something like this found a penny in the lighter

next
pull all the turn signal bulbs and try it=== if it still blows problem-- if not put them in one at a time and see which one makes it POP
this might help you narrow it down to fronts or back wires
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:41 AM   #11
007 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2000 SL1

Well did you find anything????
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:47 PM   #12
theiss04

Nothing worked yet. Haven't found any frayed wires. Took all the bulbs out and it keeps blowing even with none in there. The hazards still work fine. Haven't taken out the switch yet, trying to avoid it as long as possible. Anything or suggestions?
Thanks
Old 11-12-2014, 07:56 PM   #13
georgedee
georgedee is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2

Do you have any other issues with things on your steering column...wipers?? Cc?? Etc
georgedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:03 PM   #14
theiss04

None at all. all lights work, DTR, High beams, Regular, hazards work fine, all wiper functions work fine too.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:42 PM   #15
theiss04

OK, I changed the switch and it still doesn't work. It keeps blowing the fuse, right when I turned the key to Run. Anyone please help...
Old 02-04-2015, 07:10 AM   #16
theiss04

Ok new update.... they worked again for 3 days. Yesterday i warmed up my car put on the ebrake and now it keeps blowing the fuse again.... any suggestions? Need to get it inspected. Please help
Old 02-04-2015, 09:17 AM   #17
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by theiss04 View Post
I have a 97 saturn sl. I made a huge mistake and tried to jump start the cwr with no battery in it. I blew the computer and replaced that, now every time I turn the key to on it blows my signal fuse. My hazards work and everything else works fine. I checked all the bulbs, they are all fine, I changed the flasher relay and still nothing. Now I noticed that when I turn the headlights on the blinker bulbs turn on solid, even in thw front. Anyone have any ideas?
Does what is in bold still happen?
Old 02-04-2015, 09:44 AM   #18
54packman
54packman will become famous soon enough

1998 SW2
2000 SC2

Try using a 1156 type bulb, solder two wires to the base or use a socket then put two spade lugs on the other end of the wires, then plug the ends into the fuse box, so that the bulb is the fuse. Then you can break down the circuit and just watch the light, if it stays bright you still have a short, when it dims or goes out you have found your problem, if I could get into my manuals for the wiring diagrams could break it down more, since the hazards work that would rule out the wiring from the turn signal switch to the lights, could be the flasher module
54packman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:07 AM   #19
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The flasher module has been replaced and he has the drawings.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:58 AM   #20
theiss04

The bulbs aren't on any more. They do flash with the hazards so the flasher is still good. Im going to try the light bulb trick to see if i can figure it out. Also does anyone know about a module that is under the center console? I remember seeing something about one that is on the same circuit .
Everything helps,
Thanks