SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 06-19-2008, 07:07 AM   #1
Trikeman72
Trikeman72 is on a distinguished road

Default 99 SC1 Turn signal fuse blows PLEASE HELP

got a 99 saturn SC1 2dr coupe that a lady had that was wrecked a little in the front.. I am 99% posative the turn signals worked on way home... i had to replace the headlights, hood, windshield, front bumper cover, and the top radiator support and about 6" ov the sides to get everything back to normal again. ( nice police man wired hood down and it flew up n busted hood and windshield lol) anyhow... my problem.....

blinkers did not work... so i assumed fuse and replaced it and when you turn key on POP goes fuse... i thought i had got a wire messed up weldin the front back on and took all loom and tape off of wireing from all turn bulbs and side marker lights to where the loom goes under the fuse box under hood on firewall.... everything looks perfect. i have NO CLUE what to do here..
friend of mine said to sell it.. his mom had a sc1 would pop fuses when u turned switch on.. changed both fuse boxes, lights, sockets column.. sold it with problem unsolved... since i just got the car and its all fixed now cant sell it...

someone pleaes help me out here i have no idea what to try or change or whatever......
(not sure if relavent... wiper fuse was partly pulled out when i first brought car home... pushed in fuse.. no smoke rose... but wipers would wipe window like 5 sec or so when you turnedkey on even with switch not on... since fuse is not in turn signal box in consol.. they dont do that now.. not sure if thats a coincidence or what???

I did change the turn signal relay and that did not help..

how can i find out where the short is? i assume its a dead short since it blows fuse when key is turned on but i dont knwo where to check. heck the front end replacement may have been a coincidence or something i dont know.. HELP HELP HELP
Trikeman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2008, 07:34 AM   #2
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line
Default Re: 99 SC1 Turn signal fuse blows PLEASE HELP

You have a short in the circuit. Short and simple. Get a volt/ohm meter and start tracing the wires. The first thing you'd do is see if you have continuity from power to ground with the signal off and a good fuse. If you do, then you have confirmed that you have a short. There's just not much else it could be.
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:50 PM   #3
Trikeman72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Proctor View Post
You have a short in the circuit. Short and simple. Get a volt/ohm meter and start tracing the wires. The first thing you'd do is see if you have continuity from power to ground with the signal off and a good fuse. If you do, then you have confirmed that you have a short. There's just not much else it could be.

that is done with the key off and good fuse correct? if i turn the key on it zaps the fuse..

im not that great with usin a multimeter so can you give me a how to deal for this? i used my meter to test the old style bus fuses in my house electric box.. your talking about the same thing right? take a hot wire off turn signal and touch to ground and it it reads then its shorted in that wire right?

thanks a heap for the help.. gettin tired of walkin to work lol
Old 06-19-2008, 04:03 PM   #4
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

So, just to clarify, the fuse blows as soon as you turn the key to RUN (there is no ON), even with the signal lever switch in the OFF position?

Do the flashers work?
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:57 PM   #5
Trikeman72

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
So, just to clarify, the fuse blows as soon as you turn the key to RUN (there is no ON), even with the signal lever switch in the OFF position?

Do the flashers work?
yes i put in a new fuse... turn key on ( all the lights in dash and bell goes off etc etc) before i turn it to crank motor.. with signal switch off.. ZAP goes the fuse instantly..

dont know i never checked them i can go do that now...
i have the fuse box under hood turned over and tracing wires and tryin to find something wrong but havent yet.. not sure if this is a coincidental thing or whats goin on...
will update in a few on the flashers
Old 06-22-2008, 06:05 PM   #6
Trikeman72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikeman72 View Post
yes i put in a new fuse... turn key on ( all the lights in dash and bell goes off etc etc) before i turn it to crank motor.. with signal switch off.. ZAP goes the fuse instantly..

dont know i never checked them i can go do that now...
i have the fuse box under hood turned over and tracing wires and tryin to find something wrong but havent yet.. not sure if this is a coincidental thing or whats goin on...
will update in a few on the flashers
emergency flashers DO work fine hopefully someone knows where that limits my problem to or something
Old 06-22-2008, 07:03 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

looking at the schematic the turn signal fuse also feeds power to the I/P cluster. The power for the hazard blinkers comes through a different fuse but then powers up all of the same components as is normally used by the left/right turn only.

The turn fuse also provides power to the DRL logic board located in the I/P Cluster physically located on the Spedo Board.

Sounds like the crash killed the DRL logic and tied it to ground.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:25 PM   #8
Trikeman72

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
looking at the schematic the turn signal fuse also feeds power to the I/P cluster. The power for the hazard blinkers comes through a different fuse but then powers up all of the same components as is normally used by the left/right turn only.

The turn fuse also provides power to the DRL logic board located in the I/P Cluster physically located on the Spedo Board.

Sounds like the crash killed the DRL logic and tied it to ground.
i was almost positive the blinker worked on way home tho....
anyway how do i test this?? or disable it so my blinkers will work again??
Old 06-22-2008, 08:20 PM   #9
Trikeman72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikeman72 View Post
i was almost positive the blinker worked on way home tho....
anyway how do i test this?? or disable it so my blinkers will work again??
i took out the dtrl relay and the blinkers work now.. fuse didnt blow...
so i need a new relay??
Old 06-22-2008, 09:04 PM   #10
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Yep, relay is most likely internally shorted. Anyway, replace it and if the fuse blows then there is a small hidden wiring problem in the headlight circuitry.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:46 AM   #11
Trikeman72

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Yep, relay is most likely internally shorted. Anyway, replace it and if the fuse blows then there is a small hidden wiring problem in the headlight circuitry.

hey Nuc can you send me the interchange for the drl relay
Trikeman72@comcast.net
thanks again
Old 06-23-2008, 11:07 AM   #12
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Do your high-beam headlights work properly? Gotta wonder if the crash has shorted out something in the headlights.
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 10:56 AM   #13
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

What would the solution be when it's a '93 doing it? (DRL's didn't come out until '94)
I'm guessing I've got to do it the hard way with a multi-meter.
The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:03 AM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

You have to have the wiring diagram for the car. It is probably not a straight forward circuit. I do not have one so I can not even hazard a guess.
Old 07-01-2008, 11:29 AM   #15
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2

sounds to me like the wire(s) from the head light harness are pinched somewhere try tracing the ground back first then the rest.
Saturnless...
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:33 AM   #16
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2

a little bit of copper may be exposed to the body.
Saturnless...
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote