SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 04-23-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
kingvandal
kingvandal is on a distinguished road

Default bad cats?

I searched for "Symptom bad catalytic converts" and get nothing. 97SL1. I Seem to have an small miss at idle "After" it has been idleing for a few minutes. It does not happen immediately just after a few minutes of sitting at idle. It seems to idle at 700. Just did the head gasket, intake gasket, exhuast gasket, thermostat, rad cap and replaced a cracked vac line under the fuel rail. I don't know the name of it. I have checked for vac leaks with carb cleaner and can't find anything. Something to note is driving down the road at any speed there is no misses at all though there seems to be a Hesatation when kicking it in the but. I thought I read somewhere this is a sign of a plugged cat. Also when taking off the map sensor connector the snap that hold the connector up broke off. (Plastic crap). The connector is still there just not the little peice that snaps to hold it on. I have checked and the sensor connector is not loose and coming off. I have checked codes and nothing. I checked the compression of all the cylinders and they where all at about 180. When I had the head off I had the machine shop test valves, springs.. the works. The valve seats where clean and seating fine. The valves where all in great shape. (Thanks Lucas) The head got a good cleaning and did not require any resurfacing atleast the receipt did not say it did. Granted this is the best it has ran. Gas milages is backup to around 30+ highway and 20+ in town. I hate to have the saturn with a problem. ANy ideas?

thanks all.
R.I.P My Loveing 1996 Ford Taurus... Death to Uninsured Motorists!!!!!

1997 Saturn SL-1 SOHC. Stock everything.
kingvandal is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2008, 11:36 AM   #2
mgordon1100
mgordon1100 will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2
Default Re: bad cats?

I have a bad cat that likes to piss on my blanket every other day. At least it's always freshly clean.
mgordon1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:43 AM   #3
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL

Have you cleaned out the throttle body, etc.? How good are your spark plugs and wires? Idle at 700 is just about where it should be. The hesitation at a relatively average acceleration could be a sign of a plugged cat. but I've just had a new cat. put in my car and I still have a slight hesitation when accelerating. But my bad cat. eventually gave me a harder "buck" especially when going up hill or under load. But if you have a lot of miles on the cat. your milder hesitation could be a sign that it's starting to get plugged up. But as plugged as my cat. was, my idle was very smooth. (97 SL with 154K) Also, with my bad cat. I could drive down the road at steady speed too and not have a hesitation issue. Hard acceleration not an issue either.

I too tried a new MAP sensor and broke my plastic wire connector too. I'm going to have to get a new one even though mine too stays on fairly well. Problem is that the connection is hanging down and with gravity and some vibration the connection could work loose a little, still look like it's connected well, but over time, who knows. Or until you get another connection you could tape it into position but I wouldn't leave it there and forget about it.

Jerry
JerryHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:25 AM   #4
JerryHughes
Master Member
JerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of lightJerryHughes is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SL

How many miles do you have on your cat.?? You know, I think Saturn's are known to have a carbon issue. I think that is why you have to make sure you keep your EGR clean from carbon, etc. If that is true, is carbon the "stuff" that clogs old cats. in Saturns? If so and you have a lot of miles on your converter you may want to replace anyway. If you live out of California and if you do the work yourself, that won't cost that much. As mentioned, now that I have my new cat., my hesitation is almost nill. I don't think you can get away from a little hesitation in a Satty but who knows.

Jerry
Old 04-24-2008, 11:17 AM   #5
kingvandal
kingvandal is on a distinguished road

Yup new plugs and wires. I am not orignal owner so not sure if cat has been replaced. Car just hit 240,000 a day ago. Sadly I am ca res and once I did plugs wires basic tuneup the car passed the 3 minute smog test. Blew head gasket 1 week later. Previous owner did head gasket and put gasket material on new head gasket so I wonder why it blew :rollin. What do I need to do to clean tbody
R.I.P My Loveing 1996 Ford Taurus... Death to Uninsured Motorists!!!!!

1997 Saturn SL-1 SOHC. Stock everything.
kingvandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:45 AM   #6
mgordon1100
mgordon1100 will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2

Speaking of EGR cleaning, can I just use pressurized water to clean it out?
mgordon1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:04 PM   #7
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingvandal View Post
Yup new plugs and wires. I am not orignal owner so not sure if cat has been replaced. Car just hit 240,000 a day ago. Sadly I am ca res and once I did plugs wires basic tuneup the car passed the 3 minute smog test. Blew head gasket 1 week later. Previous owner did head gasket and put gasket material on new head gasket so I wonder why it blew :rollin. What do I need to do to clean tbody
How many miles have you put on the Saturn since you bought it? Check this site for doing a good cleaning of the throttle body. (3 parts to videos) Some may just spray it out really well while still on the car with throttle body cleaner so it all depends on how involved you want to get. Also, if you plan on getting a new California converter, get back with me first. I have info on this that will save you time.
http://www.youtube.com/profile_video...hpin06a&page=1

Jerry
Old 04-24-2008, 12:06 PM   #8
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgordon1100 View Post
Speaking of EGR cleaning, can I just use pressurized water to clean it out?
I don't think that would be wise. Use something like a throttle body cleaner from an aerosol can, etc., and you can also, gently, scrape out the carbon.

Jerry
Old 04-24-2008, 12:16 PM   #9
JerryHughes
Master Member

1997 SL

Oh, I just priced a new connection to the MAP sensor from Saturn. (I'm sure much cheaper on line---probably http://www.rockauto.com/index.php?a=G-autoparts ) It costs about $60. So if I can't find it really cheaper on line, I'll visit my friendly salvage yard.

Jerry