SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 02-05-2008, 12:17 AM   #1
ASE_Tek0312
ASE_Tek0312 is on a distinguished road

Default looking for an engine rebuild kit, suggestions?

hey im going to rebuild my engine and put a clutch in my 1996 SL2. I was just wondering where i could get a nice complete rebuild kit for it, and a good replacement clutch. ive heard LUK clutches are alright, but i dont know where to get it. while in the motor i just want to replace front/rear mains, bearings, rings, valve stem seals, and gaskets. If anyone could tell me a decent kit that includes these, that would be much help. thank you for your help
1997 SL2 Auto - Blue
ASE_Tek0312 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2008, 10:16 AM   #2
Greg1
Greg1 will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2
1998 SL2
Default Re: looking for an engine rebuild kit, suggestions?

Luk brand clutches can be ordered from clutchcityonline.com
97 SW2 5-Sp 273k -mine
02 SC2 5-Sp 67k - best friend's
Greg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:29 PM   #3
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

The cheapest place to get LUK clutch kits is on ebay. You don't see a lot of rebuild kits for these cars. There used to be one on ebay that had all name brand parts but, I haven't seen it out there lately.
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:45 PM   #4
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

I buy the engine rebuild parts piece by piece. Some from the dealer and some from the aftermarket.
Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 01:45 AM   #5
ASE_Tek0312

well if i need to peice it together where would you recommend getting which parts. i work for toyota and i can get discounts from other dealers/parts stores. where should i get the gaskets, rings, valve stem seals, bearings, or whatever else i need. id like to put together a quality kit if i have to do it myself. theres a saturn dealer right down the road from toyota thanks for the replies
1997 SL2 Auto - Blue
Old 02-08-2008, 07:15 AM   #6
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

This is from Wolfman. He's semi-retired now but, those of us that remember him have a lot of respect for his advice. He certainly helped me a time or two. The advice is for a '97 but, it should apply for a '96 as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman
00' and UP "improved" pistons CAN be used in ANY YEAR "S" series engine BUT, they MUST be used with 00' and up RODS. (You CANNOT use 00' and up pistons with Earlier rods or you will have clearance issues.)

I have yet to see an running "S" series engine that needed new pistons when disaasembled.

DO NOT use "Hastings" rings! (The OEM supplier) Use "Total Seal" instead. Used in pre 00' engines, these rings have shown to work better, and all but eliminate oil consuption issues in pre 00' engines.

If I were going to do an in frame rebuild (it does not need one at 97k) of my personal 97' DOHC SL2, my shopping list would be:

00' and UP pistons/rods/rings (Total Seal rings) Junkyard parts will do provided they are PROFESSIONALLY INSPECTED prior to use.
97' OEM Timing set-FROM SATURN (includes chain/guides/sprockets/oil pump "kit")
97' OEM gasket set, including head, cam cover, valve guide seals, intake and exhaust
97' OEM timing chain cover to crankshaft seal
97' OEM rear main seal
Clevite Michigan 77' Rod and Main bearings
NEW head bolts (old head bolts can be reused, but they are TTY (Torque to yield) so for the minimal added expense, new is a better idea)

Machine shop work: 3 angle valve job on head, install new valve guide seals.
Check rods ( ONLY if replaced or showing visable damage) for out of round. Resize if necessary.
If engine is removed, (not in frame rebuild) 10/10 crankshaft rod and main journals and polish.
I'll add that there was a later clarification to this advice. He means Total Seal Classics not Total Seal gapless rings.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:52 PM   #7
ASE_Tek0312

so they only make the total seal rings for the 00 and up? or wolfman just prefers the longer ones? i think they were longer rods in 00 or something like that. thanks for the info
1997 SL2 Auto - Blue
Old 02-10-2008, 08:34 AM   #8
BarnOwl

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASE_Tek0312 View Post
so they only make the total seal rings for the 00 and up? or wolfman just prefers the longer ones? i think they were longer rods in 00 or something like that. thanks for the info
Actually the '00 and up pistons were a new design that was supposed to solve the oil usage problem some Saturns have. I believe Total Seal rings are available for earlier models. At least they were.