SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member
PortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nice

2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Broken Shift Linkage Adjuster... :o(

So the endlink on the black shift cable broke on my 05.

It blew apart in 6 or 7 pieces. My shifter had been hard to change in and out gear for about two months and constantly would not want to engage in reverse. I guess yesterday it finally decided to explode. I semi-pieced it back together with zip-ties so I could drive it home. I could only engage it in 1st and 5th gear, but that was enough, I was only about 3 miles from home.

I went to my local, Saturn of Clearwater and they didn;t have the adjuster. The next dealer that did was 40 miles away, so I went this morning to get it.

I got it on and now it's the same as before. It's still kind of hard to engage in reverse but the rest of the gears are still stiff.

I wanted ideas from the other guys if you think the shift cables might need to be changed? I have just under 60k on the car, and have mostly city driving on it. I notice that the endlink on the shift cable is adjustable. But only adjustable before it's installed. You can set the thread to go in to a certain depth, but once it's in, it won't come out and it's very hard to remove the security set clip. If I could back it out a few threads I think I would.

Has any one ever adjusted this endlink?

Thanks guys!

Michelin LTX M/S2's // MOMO // Razzi Spoiler // Westin // Hella // K&N // Clear Corners

V6 Air Bag and Steering Wheel Swap
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155754

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PortugalFocus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PortugalFocus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PortugalFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Broken Shift Linkage Adjuster... :o(

Change the cables. The end piece went due to heavy shifting effort from the cables. I suspect that if you look at the end of the cables you will find a good bit of debris that looks like graphite. This is from the inside of the cables.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:55 PM   #3
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member
PortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nice

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
Change the cables. The end piece went due to heavy shifting effort from the cables. I suspect that if you look at the end of the cables you will find a good bit of debris that looks like graphite. This is from the inside of the cables.
You are correct. The yellowish nylon threaded bar had some graphite debris on it. Is there anyway to lubricate these cables or just replace them?

Michelin LTX M/S2's // MOMO // Razzi Spoiler // Westin // Hella // K&N // Clear Corners

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help PortugalFocus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-10-2010, 09:52 PM   #4
YourMainParadox
Advanced Member
YourMainParadox is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

bump

How much did the adjuster cost and do you remember the part number on it? There are no saturn dealerships around here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to YourMainParadox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help YourMainParadox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
YourMainParadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:09 AM   #5
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourMainParadox View Post
bump

How much did the adjuster cost and do you remember the part number on it? There are no saturn dealerships around here.
The linkage was $46 and some change plus tax. I don't have the part number here but it's a common failure and my Saturn Parts guy told me. After I purchased the adjuster, a few days later I had to buy the cables. I was afraid I was going to break the new adjuster because it was so hard to put it in gear.

Is your shifter difficult to get into gear? Is the clutch pedal hard to press? Can you go into 1st, 3rd and 5th fine bur 2nd, 4th and R difficult? Do you get grinding when going into R?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to narrow it down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-13-2010, 04:19 AM   #6
YourMainParadox
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

clutch and all works fine. I could not get into reverse off and on and it will grind there but it is not a constant thing. ONCE I could not get into 4th but that has not happened again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help YourMainParadox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-14-2010, 06:14 PM   #7
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
clutch and all works fine. I could not get into reverse off and on and it will grind there but it is not a constant thing. ONCE I could not get into 4th but that has not happened again.
Sounds like hard shifter cables. Attack them and that should solve it all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-14-2010, 11:28 PM   #8
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

Disconnect the shifter cables at the tranny linkage, then try to move the shifter, if still moves very hard it's probably the cables.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:59 PM   #9
YourMainParadox
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesl2 View Post
Disconnect the shifter cables at the tranny linkage, then try to move the shifter, if still moves very hard it's probably the cables.
The problem I am having is that it is intermittent so sometimes there is no resistance <.< grrr

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2010, 05:56 PM   #10
YourMainParadox
Advanced Member

2004 VUE 2.2L

How do you get the knob off the 5 speed? I can't seem to screw it or pull i off <.<

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2010, 09:46 AM   #11
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
How do you get the knob off the 5 speed? I can't seem to screw it or pull i off <.<
You can't "pull or pry" it off. It's molded onto the shifter itself. The top of the shift arm has a metal orb instead of the traditional rod. The plastic knob must be cut off then the metal knob needs to whacked off if you want an aftermarket knob.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #12
JAFO
JAFO is on a distinguished road

2005 Saturn Vue - shifter cable adjuster broke on Thursday. Of course it's the passenger side shifter adjuster that broke. The part number is 15212802. Got the new one today. Couldn't be easier to put on. Of course, the thing is still hard to shift so I'm gonna have to get a new cable and I have a few questions:

1. Are there any aftermarket shifter cables for this thing?
2. How do you get the shifter cable removed from the transmission?
3. Are there any parts that are gonna break or that I'm gonna have to replace on the transmission end? Clips, whatever.

The cable is easy to get out of the console housing but I'm not sure about the transmission end. Any suggestion/tips for replacing this thing?

Thanks to all you guys here and for sharing your knowledge!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JAFO's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JAFO reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JAFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:48 PM   #13
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

I've extracted shift cable replacement instructions from service manual and file is too large to post. I'll email if you want to PM an address.

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:41 PM   #14
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
2005 Saturn Vue - shifter cable adjuster broke on Thursday. Of course it's the passenger side shifter adjuster that broke. The part number is 15212802. Got the new one today. Couldn't be easier to put on. Of course, the thing is still hard to shift so I'm gonna have to get a new cable and I have a few questions:

1. Are there any aftermarket shifter cables for this thing?
2. How do you get the shifter cable removed from the transmission?
3. Are there any parts that are gonna break or that I'm gonna have to replace on the transmission end? Clips, whatever.

The cable is easy to get out of the console housing but I'm not sure about the transmission end. Any suggestion/tips for replacing this thing?

Thanks to all you guys here and for sharing your knowledge!
To answer your questions:

1 - No, you have to go to the Dealer.
2 - Just use a small pry bar and they pop off the arms on the trans.
3 - The cables DO NOT come with linkage ends. I repeat they DO NOT COME WITH THEM. You will need to order the one(s) that broke. I only replaced my black end link. After close inspection the white one looked just fine to me, so I did not replace it.

I think I did a mini-write-up on how to do this. I will see if I can find it and post it here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-02-2010, 06:42 PM   #15
JAFO
JAFO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortugalFocus View Post
To answer your questions:

1 - No, you have to go to the Dealer.
2 - Just use a small pry bar and they pop off the arms on the trans.
3 - The cables DO NOT come with linkage ends. I repeat they DO NOT COME WITH THEM. You will need to order the one(s) that broke. I only replaced my black end link. After close inspection the white one looked just fine to me, so I did not replace it.

I think I did a mini-write-up on how to do this. I will see if I can find it and post it here.
Thanks for the info - you guys have been a HUGE help! I have a new adjuster end piece - the one that always breaks. I got it back on and she's shifting but seeing as how it broke because the cable is apparently worn I'm ordering the new cable(s) either tomorrow or the next day. I believe the part number for the cable is 21996492 - is that correct? And now that I've seen how the adjuster just snaps onto the shifter ball and that the piece is made out of plastic I'm shocked the thing hasn't broken before now - it seems way too flimsy for the stresses that are put on it.

I'm thinking I can swap these things out myself without too much trouble. Regardless, I just can't see paying someone a couple hundred bucks(?) to replace them since they appear to be pretty easy to get to. I'd be extremely grateful if you could post your write up here in this thread. Any help is appreciated!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JAFO's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JAFO reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JAFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:02 PM   #16
justVUEit
justVUEit is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2002 VUE 2.2L

A funny thing happened to my '02 today.... the shifter itself popped right out of the black linkage. It has not been terribly hard to shift but the cable or something must have bound up and the end popped off the bottom of the shaft.

I was able to pop it back on but I used a few zip ties to tie the cable end to the shaft.

I might go ahead and replace the cables and ends. I still wonder what made the black end pop off....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to justVUEit's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help justVUEit reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
justVUEit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:13 AM   #17
fpkites
fpkites is on a distinguished road

Big thanks to Grumpy for the extract of those pages - big help.

For those who have done the passenger side linkage, do you just give it a good push to get the ball on the end of the shifter into the socket, or is there a trick to that connector?

Jim
Denver CO
2004 Vue FWD Manual Tranny, 4-cyl (hers)

1996 ZJ Grand Cherokee, lifted, locked, loaded (my luxo-crawler)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fpkites's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fpkites reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fpkites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:08 PM   #18
fpkites
fpkites is on a distinguished road

Success!!

For those that may need to do this in the future, the ball and socket go together with just a little bit of pressure, and you hear a faint click when it hits home.

Jim
Denver CO
2004 Vue FWD Manual Tranny, 4-cyl (hers)

1996 ZJ Grand Cherokee, lifted, locked, loaded (my luxo-crawler)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fpkites's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fpkites reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fpkites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:45 PM   #19
LostboyTNT
LostboyTNT is on a distinguished road

if somebody has detailed instructions on replacing the cable, would they mind posting them, or contacting me?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LostboyTNT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LostboyTNT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LostboyTNT is offline   Reply With Quote