SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2007, 11:38 PM   #1
ion skater6912
ion skater6912 is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Default Bad weather gave me a gread idea

so today we got our first real snow of the year. after our school let out early, me and a few of my friends decided to stay after and drift if around in our unplowed parking lot

NOTE: i know your not supposed to drift FWD cars, you cant do it like a RWD, but with a little bit of work, i can get some decent slides using my e-brake, and i've seen some pretty good drifts done from pro drifters that are behind the wheel of a FWD car, so i know it can be done

so all F&F: TD jokes and crap aside, if i were to turn my car into an actual FWD drifter, what all would you guys suggest, i was thinking about:
bigger wheels
upgrading to rear disks
stiffer springs
but i'm not positive if i should stiffen up the front of the car, rear of the car or both (tips appreciated)

thanks guys, and i had tried this thread on another forum, but there were to many flames or posts that said i shouldnt do it, so i deleted it, so lets try to keep those posts to a minimum here

2005 ion sedan
Tsuedo exhaust, 17" motegi ff7s, eibach springs, copertop stb, recaros, ported LSJ manifold, ZZP downpipe, coupe front end swap

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ion skater6912's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ion skater6912 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ion skater6912 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2007, 11:49 PM   #2
young james
young james is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Bad weather gave me a gread idea

I'm not flamming you or anything but it seems like you are changing your mind a lot on what you want to do with your car. First, you wanted a performance car for racing. Then, you figured that with the added weight of your system, then it may be better to go with a show car. Next, you have a first snowfall and decide to drift your car on a bit of snow, and this gives you an idea to turn your ion into a full fledge drifter. I advise you don't go over no dirt roads because you may want a rally car then, lol. Again, I'm not flamming you for anything. My advice is probably do a show car but not too ricey, and look for an 80's corolla if you want to drift cheap. Only so much you can do with an ion, lol

Pictures: http://www.ionforums.net/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=58

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to young james's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help young james reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
young james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:54 PM   #3
ion skater6912

2005 ION-2 Sedan

ya, i know that i change my mind a lot.... but the way i look at it, once i actually start putting money into one thing, i will be stickin with it
plus with some of the mods i listed, i can do a little bit of everything
i can still keep my system, i'll have the suspension if i ever want performance, and i can always go performance when i have more cash (that seems to cost the most)

2005 ion sedan
Tsuedo exhaust, 17" motegi ff7s, eibach springs, copertop stb, recaros, ported LSJ manifold, ZZP downpipe, coupe front end swap

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ion skater6912 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-13-2007, 11:56 PM   #4
HeroHog
HeroHog is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

As I found out driving in the ice storm we are having today, the "ding ding ding" of the emergency brake warning light that comes on when you use the emergency brake while moving would drive you nuts pretty quickly.
(I did a 180 in the turn-around at the end of my buddy's dead-end street when I was dropping him off)

Hero Hog
07 Ion QC 3 2.2L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HeroHog's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HeroHog reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HeroHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:05 AM   #5
young james
young james is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I know what you mean.......that ding gets real annoying when you do a fair bit of it.

I know what you mean about changing your mind a lot. There's so many things I would like to do with mine too. However, make sure you know what your looking for before you sink a lot of money into it

Pictures: http://www.ionforums.net/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=58

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to young james's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help young james reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
young james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:31 AM   #6
ion skater6912

2005 ION-2 Sedan

just turn your radio up, so then you dont have to hear the dinging

2005 ion sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-14-2007, 05:47 AM   #7
06_Ion2
06_Ion2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

lol i never change my mind when im going to do somthing

VISIT MY CARDOMAIN --> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2259877
s256 turbo, vulcan intake, exedy clutch, 8.9:1, camed, eagle rods, 2.4 tb, B&G coilovers, patriot head, stage 2 axels 418whp 2.2 :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 06_Ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 06_Ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
06_Ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 03:55 PM   #8
IonSpeedMaster
IonSpeedMaster is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

if you want a drift car get rid of the Ion and get a throwback car like an old 240SX or an AE86 (86 Corolla). even though u go through lots of "phases" with your car im sure youll eventually stop. The ion isnt a drift car, most likely wont ever be one, and even though you can do that kind of stuff in the snow, youre not going to be able to do it well on dry pavement like a true drft car. im not trying to flame either, but some of the ideas you come up with arent practical.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IonSpeedMaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IonSpeedMaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IonSpeedMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:35 PM   #9
Meatonn
Meatonn will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

I did a bunch of e-brake slides and reverse slides and such last week when we got our first good snowfall of the season. I learned the hard way one little prob with my fun. I packed snow into the aluminum rims which promtly froze. Didn't notice anything till I hit 70 or so on the highway. Then I had a nasty vibration. Had to stop on the shoulder and dig it out as best I could. But it was worth it!

And, yes, the @#$%ing dinger on the e-brake was a nuisance.

--------------------------------
97 Gold SL 5sp traded with 190,000 miles
06 White ION3 QC 2.4L 5sp new in Dec 06

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Meatonn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Meatonn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Meatonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:29 PM   #10
ottmwz_finest
Advanced Member
ottmwz_finest is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

theres an empty parking lot around here that doesnt get cleared when it snows and every time i drive by it on the way to work and home i say next time im gonna stop and get crazy with the ION and get it sliding around but i never do it. one of these days i will...seems like alot of fun.

hundred miles an hour switching lanes like WHOA

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ottmwz_finest's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ottmwz_finest reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ottmwz_finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:30 PM   #11
HeroHog

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

I just don't understand how you can resist!

Hero Hog
07 Ion QC 3 2.2L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help HeroHog reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-15-2007, 12:02 AM   #12
CplEvans
CplEvans is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe
Thumbs Down Re: Bad weather gave me a gread idea

Hey you crazy Hooligans! Why don't you just go buy a RL engine and drop it in your car too. But you'll have to get new axels, drivetrain, exhaust, Wheels, brakes, and well basically a whole new car .... That still won't drift any better... Just see some tire smoke... We own Ion's not Mustangs.... Just know when to much is to much.....

B & M Short Shifter
Eibach Springs
20% Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CplEvans's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CplEvans reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CplEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:22 AM   #13
ion skater6912

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonSpeedMaster View Post
if you want a drift car get rid of the Ion and get a throwback car like an old 240SX or an AE86 (86 Corolla).
i've been trying, but i cant get rid of the ion, and i cant afford insurance on a second car due to the fact that i'm an "at risk driver"

2005 ion sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-15-2007, 12:24 AM   #14
Tbonedawg08
Advanced Member
Tbonedawg08 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion skater6912 View Post
so today we got our first real snow of the year. after our school let out early, me and a few of my friends decided to stay after and drift if around in our unplowed parking lot

NOTE: i know your not supposed to drift FWD cars, you cant do it like a RWD, but with a little bit of work, i can get some decent slides using my e-brake, and i've seen some pretty good drifts done from pro drifters that are behind the wheel of a FWD car, so i know it can be done

so all F&F: TD jokes and crap aside, if i were to turn my car into an actual FWD drifter, what all would you guys suggest, i was thinking about:
bigger wheels
upgrading to rear disks
stiffer springs
but i'm not positive if i should stiffen up the front of the car, rear of the car or both (tips appreciated)

thanks guys, and i had tried this thread on another forum, but there were to many flames or posts that said i shouldnt do it, so i deleted it, so lets try to keep those posts to a minimum here

my tip, don't do it in the snow. i did in my chevy 1500 silverado and hit a fire hydrant

I'm just a normal car-crazy 17 year old...who is an intern at the police station. Trust me. That's saved me more than a few times
2002 SC2- 1.9L I4
2000 LS2- 3.0L V6
1993 1500 Silverado- 5.0L V8

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tbonedawg08's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tbonedawg08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tbonedawg08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:33 PM   #15
kaviation
kaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura aboutkaviation has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion skater6912 View Post
i've been trying, but i cant get rid of the ion, and i cant afford insurance on a second car due to the fact that i'm an "at risk driver"
Gee you, Not you.

2003 Ion QC- Sold August of 2015
2016 Toyota RAV4 LE AWD
2004 Ion Redline
Meth Injection, WOT Box, Stage 2, Fidanza aluminum Flywheel, Spec clutch Stage 2+

I ENJOY WHAT I DO- I DO WHAT I ENJOY

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kaviation's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kaviation reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kaviation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 04:49 PM   #16
THX712517
Master Member
THX712517 is on a distinguished road

Front wheel drive cars cannot drift. You can perform e-brake slides, and you can hang the back end on slippery surfaces, but you cannot drift. If you are obsessed with sliding, upgrade the rear brakes only. Put high traction tires up front and ****ty traction tires in the rear. Destroy your balance between front and rear. I don't recommend it, and you will get hurt if you keep trying to drift your Ion.

Do yourself a favor. Hop online and look for SCCA Solo II and see if they have a chapter in your area. The '07 racing season is about to start. Attend an event or two as a novice. If you're interested in it, see where your car falls as far as rating and class. You'll have a lot of fun, trust me on this. I myself am about to campaign my Mazda in C-Stock, so I'm looking forward to about 20 to 30 intense autocross races.

2003 Saturn Ion
2001 Mazda Miata
1997 Saturn SC1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to THX712517's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help THX712517 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
THX712517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 07:33 PM   #17
HeroHog

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Good advise. I am a past SCCA H/Stock Regional Solo II champ. I had a BALL in the SCCA and learned a TON!

Hero Hog
07 Ion QC 3 2.2L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-15-2007, 08:38 PM   #18
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

LOL, no comment

If you want to slide around and all that sh1t, get a RWD.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:48 PM   #19
ottmwz_finest
Advanced Member
ottmwz_finest is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

thats funny. you say no comment, then you comment

hundred miles an hour switching lanes like WHOA

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ottmwz_finest's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ottmwz_finest reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ottmwz_finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:55 PM   #20
1_can_dream
1_can_dream is on a distinguished road

You cannot drive a FWD car, I don't care if you think you've seen "professional drifters" do it it can't be done. You can slide the back tires around, put flat spots on them, mess up your brakes, run into things, whatever else you want to do to you car. But it isn't drifting. If you want to be a mad tyte drifter yo you need to get rid of the ion and get a RWD car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1_can_dream's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1_can_dream reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1_can_dream is offline   Reply With Quote