SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2005, 06:04 AM   #1
JEG510
JEG510 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL
Default Need Help With Cars..

I need some help with some car stuff. It isn't saturn's but more general, but everyone here is nice and I wanted to ask. A year ago (13 months ago) I sold a car to a former co-worker. At the time it was sold it had a current smog check (and it was only 2 weeks old, and they are current for 90 days) and I was informed that the gentleman never finished the transaction with the DMV and the car was never transfered to his name. Now I did my part, I sold him a car with current registration and smog. Now a year later I run into the fella at the coffe shop and he tells me the car won't pass smog and he is having to use temporary registration's to drive it. Now my question is
Since i turned in the release of liability form over a year ago, should I give a damn?
Secondly, If when I turned in the form everything was Kosher and it was HIS fault for waiting 11 months (he first attempted to smog the car in Auguest. Auguest 30th to be exact) should I still be held accountable? Even though in those 11 months the car now has about 9000 more miles on it?

I don't want to call the DMV to see whats up, since in the word of the law I did all that was required of me. It was HIS fault for letting it go so long. Since owning that car I have had a thunderbird and now my Saturn. And no issues.

Any input would be great.

Thanks

John

Well, all I can say is "Hakuna Matata!"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JEG510's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JEG510 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JEG510 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2005, 07:28 AM   #2
Vertigoomg
Vertigoomg is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
Default Re: Need Help With Cars..

Inquire on the issue. If he even tried to get a smog check, that shows he probably assumed the car was his. From the sounds of things, this guy is trouble. Get that car out of your name, into his, and try to get mattered out of your hair. If you can't get him to transfer the title to his name, leave him be. Just try to get some proof of the transaction.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vertigoomg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vertigoomg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vertigoomg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 09:17 AM   #3
PeteB
Advanced Member
PeteB is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1994 SC2

Something I have never understood about private car sales is how the seller is left with no proof of anything (except maybe a bank deposit), so if the buyer has an accident, commits a crime with the car, or abandons it, what happens?

This release of liability is new to me, so maybe that does the job as far as documentation in CA.

I'd just forget about it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PeteB's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PeteB reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 10:54 AM   #4
Niteshooter
Niteshooter is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
1999 SL1

Almost feels like the guy was trying to scam the system. Guess the important thing is to make sure the car is in his name and not yours. If you filed all the paperwork at the time with DMV you should be clear, if not I think I would contact them asap.

Either way hopefully you have a bill of sale if no other supporting paperwork so that you have some proof that you did sell this guy the car.

Guess you can never be too careful even with someone you worked with. I always go with the buyer to the MOT and do all the paperwork so that I know the car is transfered when I turn over the keys.

Kevin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Niteshooter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Niteshooter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Niteshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 11:08 AM   #5
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

You are NOT responsible. You notified the DMV when you sent the notification of sale in. HE is the one who didn't get the car registered. You no longer own it. Who told you that he never transferred it? The DMV ? Not your problem.
Love people like this who are so inept at showing up for their own lives and when it all goes haywire it's someone else's fault.
The DMV has the record of your transfer. Let HIM sort out the smog problem. It's HIS car.
Go ahead and call the DMV and tell them. I believe if you get any sort of notification from the DMV all you do is verify that the car was sold on such and such a date and you are no longer the owner of it and have not been for over a year. That's it. Your ex co worker is hopeless.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote