SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2007, 09:21 AM   #41
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1
Default Re: Turbo Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3ad1ysp0rk View Post

Not true. A head swap is $50-100 and an afternoon. A car that can compete with a well built turbo build on stock internals (220whp, 2500lbs, 30mpg+ when out of boost, etc), will be around $15k (a WRX/SRT4 with mods).
A head swap won't run with a turbo either, and any DIY mods are going to be much cheaper. What I was talking about is the lack of aftermarket support for the older Saturns, leading to lack of choices and options unless you go the DIY route.

For the cost of a turbo kit for the S series there are way more options for other vehicles that require less research or time, and give similar results.

For 7k I could choose about 20 ways to add easy output to my truck by a number of different methods. I haven't seen any Saturn crate engines with twice factory output, or blower and turbo kits for 3k and less.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2007, 12:17 PM   #42
Tanro
Tanro is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
1991 SC

The kits on alpha are only 4.8K$ are those reliable?

VTEC All of the lag but none of the boost. Its basically like waiting to have really bad sex.
http://sattie.1111mb.com/index.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tanro's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tanro reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tanro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 12:40 PM   #43
SlowSC2
SlowSC2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanro View Post
The kits on alpha are only 4.8K$ are those reliable?
Yes. Ill vouch for them. The craftmanship on them is only described by one word: Amazing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SlowSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SlowSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SlowSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 01:22 PM   #44
NFG_rocks1028
NFG_rocks1028 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Getting things from the junk yard is great. Also check out craigslist every once in a while. I got a 14b turbo, intercooler, BOV, boost guage, and some other random stuff for a eagle talon all for $100. here is the link with a picture off all I got.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/pts/349896205.html

so I figure some of the stuff I don't need I can sell and make close to half my money back anyway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NFG_rocks1028's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NFG_rocks1028 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NFG_rocks1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 05:47 PM   #45
Tanro

2002 SL2
1991 SC

I know you can build a different car cheaper easier and quicker than a saturn but here is my deal. I want a sleeper sl2 with a pearl black paintjob. Maybe a tasteful body kit not one of those huge sweeper looking ones. I kinda like the r34 but i really want something smaller. I want it turbo'd and bored out to a 2.0. Gonna some forged internals so I cun run high boost. I got about 4 years left on active duty and I think I can achieve that. I dont have kids and I dont blow my money except on my car. So yeah if the kit is good then that is gonna be a definet purchase for me.

VTEC All of the lag but none of the boost. Its basically like waiting to have really bad sex.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Tanro reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-15-2007, 08:09 PM   #46
dream36realms
Advanced Member
dream36realms is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

my manifold and DP came from Mike aka alphatuning

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dream36realms's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dream36realms reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dream36realms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:02 PM   #47
NFG_rocks1028
NFG_rocks1028 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

How much was it for that manifold and downpipe?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NFG_rocks1028's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NFG_rocks1028 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NFG_rocks1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:35 PM   #48
sl2clone
sl2clone is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2
1999 SL

HOLY CRAP! Turbo and AC? Glad to see somebody didn't drop their AC for the turbo. I have all intentions of keeping mine as well.
The setup I am building will be quick from light to light. But not a high rpm monster like some others. I won't have the top end they will.

Saturns saved and given new life : 11
The worst terrorist in history lives in the white house!
His goal is to erradicate the middle class working man!
Yeah , this country is SCREWED!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sl2clone's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sl2clone reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sl2clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 12:31 AM   #49
Project 01SC2
Project 01SC2 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

That is a great looking set-up you have there Dreams. clean up the welds a little bit, throw a ceramic coating on them and the set-up would be good for shows. That is what I had in my head for my SC2. Do you have any pics with the motor installed by chance?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Project 01SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Project 01SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Project 01SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 10:07 AM   #50
Tanro

2002 SL2
1991 SC

So putting on a turbo setup is goona require a motor pull? Im glad back home in my mom's shop we have a cherry picker and every tool imaginable.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-16-2007, 10:41 AM   #51
dragon370
dragon370 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

i just noticed your sig man i love it ^^^

Brendan
1997 SC1- "Stacy" dk green, 5spd, Motegi, Kuhmo tires

Under the most rigorously controlled conditions, the Saturn will do as it damn well pleases.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dragon370's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dragon370 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dragon370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 04:23 PM   #52
Project 01SC2
Project 01SC2 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanro View Post
So putting on a turbo setup is goona require a motor pull? Im glad back home in my mom's shop we have a cherry picker and every tool imaginable.
If all you are doing is adding a bolt on turbo kit, you should not have to pull the motor out. I am thinking that maybe other mods were done to strengthen the motor or so more boost can be added.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Project 01SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Project 01SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Project 01SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 04:36 AM   #53
Vertigoomg
Vertigoomg is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

I want my Saturn back...

It's things like this that make me hate the dropping of the Saturn S-series. Granted, the S-series had no real future for improvements, so they went with a different design to satisfy people who like shinys and such. Once the Ion was done(early), they went to the next car. However, with the market going the way it is, they had better bring the S-series back to the board and launch a "Return of the original" campaign. I don't even know if new cars can be taken to the average mechanic.

If I could have another Saturn, it'd be an SL2 with a beefed-up MP6, twin-cam 1.9 with a GT28, independant auxiliary fuel system, and the whole jazz.

Nice dream, eh?

Last edited by Vertigoomg; 06-17-2007 at 04:40 AM.. Reason: To elaborate

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vertigoomg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vertigoomg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vertigoomg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 07:36 AM   #54
sl2clone

1995 SW2
1999 SL

How can you beef up and MP6? And I have to ask why not an MP7? I won't bash you for wanting the auto. Power brake , release brake , GO! It's nice to be able to get the turbo spooled up quick and have it right there on take off. If you want it.
And why a GT28? SMaller turbo for quicker spool?
Only reason I could see pulling the motor is to install the lower tie plate from a 2000+ and install different pistons? Have the head ported?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sl2clone reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-17-2007, 02:33 PM   #55
supernad
supernad is on a distinguished road

deadly spork

I didn't know that 10 psi out of a T3 was weaker than 10 PSI out of a T4.

I was under the inpression that 10 psi was 10 psi.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to supernad's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help supernad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
supernad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 03:02 PM   #56
d3ad1ysp0rk
Advanced Member
d3ad1ysp0rk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernad View Post
deadly spork

I didn't know that 10 psi out of a T3 was weaker than 10 PSI out of a T4.

I was under the inpression that 10 psi was 10 psi.
Nope, that's the whole reason for matching a turbo properly to an engine.

Too small, and you have to bump the psi up a lot to compensate, and you'll be out of the turbo's effeciency range (making your top end mediocre at best).
Too big, and you'll be waiting too long ("turbo lag") to make boost.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to d3ad1ysp0rk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help d3ad1ysp0rk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
d3ad1ysp0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 11:47 PM   #57
sl2clone

1995 SW2
1999 SL

It comes down to pressure and volume. 10 psi from a T25 wouldn't be as much as 10 psi from a T4. All the cars with small turbos run small piping. The larger turbos seem to have larger piping due to the fact that they can push more volume.
This is what makes sense to me.
I saw an IHI turbo from a ford probe. That thing is smaller than my T25 , the guy said it was good for 10psi. And I have heard those and the turbo mx6 moved quite well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-18-2007, 12:22 AM   #58
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

There is a difference between pressure and volume. Blow through a small straw, ya the air comes out fast, not not much. Blow through a big straw, lots air comes out. And if you blow hard enough, it will have the same pressure as the small straw.

So, PSI isn't the only thing to look for in a turbo. CFM is important, too.

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 07:28 AM   #59
d3ad1ysp0rk
Advanced Member
d3ad1ysp0rk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl2clone View Post
I saw an IHI turbo from a ford probe. That thing is smaller than my T25 , the guy said it was good for 10psi. And I have heard those and the turbo mx6 moved quite well.
iirc, they ran around a 15.5 stock. I've never seen a DOHC Turbo Saturn run anything that slow. Mainly because their turbo's were WAY undersized (think audi, saab, etc). They're more interested in "get up and go" in the low rpms, and therefore sacrifice potenetial large hp in the highend (aka what wins races and gets good 1/4 times).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to d3ad1ysp0rk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help d3ad1ysp0rk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
d3ad1ysp0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:24 PM   #60
dream36realms
Advanced Member
dream36realms is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

latest and greatest.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dream36realms's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dream36realms reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dream36realms is offline   Reply With Quote