SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2019, 12:06 AM   #1
TonyInGP
TonyInGP is on a distinguished road

Default 2006 Ion 2 Coolant / Gas Cap / Check Engine Issues

My coolant warning keeps coming on and off but the coolant level appears to be at the right level, actually it is above the full line.

Also my Check Gas Cap warning keeps coming on as well and I have replaced it for a new one and it still comes on.

Right after these started the check engine light came on as well any idea where I should start to fix these problems

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TonyInGP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TonyInGP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TonyInGP is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2019, 01:45 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2006 Ion 2 Coolant / Gas Cap / Check Engine Issues

Going by '05 wiring for the coolant level indicator, the sensor is a normally open switch held closed by full coolant to keep the low coolant light off. When coolant level is lower the the low level mark, the sensor switch opens with the low coolant light turning on. The switch held closed is a ground signal sent to the ecm. To test wiring, manually ground one wire (of two) from the disconnected coolant level sensor with ignition ON and see if the low coolant light turns off. Try each wire, connecting to chassis bare metal. This should result in at least one wire being grounded to turn off the low coolant light unless severe corrosion occurred to exposed wiring terminals.

Unless you can post actual error codes, there is no gas cap error code but one of several codes like P0442 for a small leak in the evap system. Other error codes might be for a large evap leak, all pointing to either severe rust in steel vent lines to the fuel system or broken rubber hoses allowing a closed fuel system vapor leak. Normally this starts with a possible gas cap leak but can be something else related to the sealed fuel vapor system when the engine's running. Its taken me several years to understand closed fuel vapor systems and how the charcoal canister absorbs vapors for recycling into the intake air system with a self purging cycle of the complicated EFI system. I can state so because I had to replace the cap first then later learned to find a completely corroded fuel vent pipe (next to the main fuel pipe) broken from NYC winter salting. All rubber fuel lines are good but steel lines corrode until rust breaks and causes the evap leak error. This wasn't an easy find but a learning experience.

Any check engine light means error codes are stored for immediate retrieval using a store reader like Autozone (free) or personal reader as long as the check engine light remains on. Get the codes read and post them. You can google error codes too for definitions but posting them will reduce guessing from anyone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:56 AM   #3
TonyInGP
TonyInGP is on a distinguished road

So it's not the codes, but i can get those as well. Its on the dash warning, on the 2006 the coolant and gas cap warnings are words on the same screen as the odometer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TonyInGP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TonyInGP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TonyInGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 05:08 PM   #4
gibbysIon
gibbysIon is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I had the same issue as far as the "COOLANT" display on my odometer, and I had to replace the coolant expansion tank. You can test this particular problem by disconnecting the sensor connection from the coolant tank, and jumpering it with some copper wire, and seeing that the coolant message goes away. I know this is test is slightly dangerous but it worked for me. If you have a 50 ohm resistor you can use that, just to be safe. If the test works, then you gotta order a new tank and install it. The install is covered in the youtube clip entitled: "Saturn Ion Coolant Light Fix | Coolant Reservoir Replacement 2005-2010". It's annoying because of all the stuff you have to disconnect, but it isn't hard.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gibbysIon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gibbysIon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gibbysIon is offline   Reply With Quote