SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 10:15 AM   #1
Worknclassbug
Worknclassbug is on a distinguished road

Default Massive flat spot/loss of power

For some time now I have been having problems with a power loss at mid throttle. It is like a lean missfire. I misses but it is not a hard miss. Last night after I got on the interstate it got 10 times worse. Anywhere from about 10% throttle to almost to the floor is a little or no power and the whole time it is burbling and jerking with no repetitive jerk like a spark miss would be. It's like it tries for a second then goes back to burbling. When I floor it it seems to pick up and be ok and it idles ok. It is a 01 SL1 with 61K and a 5 speed.
I have changed plugs twice and the wires.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Worknclassbug's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Worknclassbug reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2004, 10:37 AM   #2
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

could be the ignition coil packs. does the check engine light blink off and on when this happens?

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-15-2004, 09:20 PM   #3
Worknclassbug

No lights or anything else. Drove it 40 miles today and it was fine. It did this one time before but it wasn't as bad. It still has an uneven power delivery at the same throttle locations. I don't know. I can't fix what isn't broken so I guess I wait until it just dies. I suspect the fuel filter but it is like $75. I wish it would throw a code so that I would have a place to start looking.
What majorly sucks is that I use it to pull an ATV trailer and if it does like it did last night while I am pulling the trailer I will be screwed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Worknclassbug reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-15-2004, 09:31 PM   #4
elvinrodr
elvinrodr is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
1995 SL2

Injectors clogged?

91 SL2M
93 SL2A

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to elvinrodr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help elvinrodr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-15-2004, 11:12 PM   #5
LATEMODELRACING
LATEMODELRACING is on a distinguished road

I WOULD ALSO CHECK A POSSIBLE COOLANT TEMP. SENSOR IF IT IS READING ERRATIC IT WILL CASE LEAN/RICH CONDITIONS AND BUCKING!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LATEMODELRACING's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LATEMODELRACING reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-16-2004, 02:01 AM   #6
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

You mention you "changed the spark plugs twice" ...why? You also state that when you "floor it" it behaves ok. This suggests that it is a sensor related fuel trim item. The reason I say this is that at throttle positions above 85% (WOT) teh PCM ignores sensor data and uses a preset fuel trim mixture for maximum power. Since you are getting no codes, I doubt it is an O2 sensor issue or misfire as the PCM is very sensitive to those. Since behavoir improves at WOT, it is most likely NOT related to a fuel injector or filter issue as they would affect things at WOT as well. This pretty much narrows it down to the ECTS, OR the EGR valve, as EGR function is also shut down at WOT but an EGR valve with sealling issues can cause surging/bucking as well. Most, but not all, EGR issues will also set an SES light on OBD2 cars such as your 01' as well however.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-16-2004, 11:15 AM   #7
Worknclassbug

I have changed the plugs twice because the problem appeared shortly after I changed the plugs for routine maintenance. I thought that maybe I had a bad plug. Changed them again and it didn't make a difference. I know the problem has to be sensor related. You are right, Wolfman, a clogged fuel filter would choke the system off more when you asked for more (it would still run like crap on the floor). The ECTS makes sense. I left the car in my garage last night (it is a basement garage and stays cool). When I left, the car ran perfect for about 15 min into the drive and started acting up again. When I got back in the car after letting it sit for an hour it was still running poorly. Where is the ECTS located and how much is it? Are the ECTS and the sender for the temp gauge separate? The temp gauge seems to read the same as it always has. Also, what can go wrong with the egr valve?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-16-2004, 09:02 PM   #8
LATEMODELRACING

depending on what year your saturn is 96 and newer have only 1 senesr and that is located on the trans side of the motor in the side of the head it is a 13mm socket to remove it. also what kind of plugs are you running?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help LATEMODELRACING reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-16-2004, 11:00 PM   #9
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

The ECTS is located on the DRIVERS side of the engine just below and to the right of where the upper radiator hose attaches to teh ENGINE. There are instructions in the "How To" section of teh boards on replacing it. About a $15-$18 part. Also check to ensure when you changed the plugs you did not mix up the firng order. Cylinders are numbered left to right 1 2 3 4 coil pack connections left to right are 4 1 2 3

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-17-2004, 11:34 AM   #10
Worknclassbug

Firing order is ok. I always change one plug at a time. Thanks for the info. I'll pick up a sensor today and try it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-30-2004, 01:41 PM   #11
Worknclassbug

It has been a couple of weeks now and replacing the sensor seems to have fixed the prob. My mileage is better than ever and the power delivery is better but still has some surges but they are not that bad. Thanks for the help guys.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-30-2004, 11:15 PM   #12
LATEMODELRACING

check the intake gasket for leaks while the vehicle running spray intake cleaner at the intake manifold where it meets the head.
pay close attention to the passanger side of the manifold as that is the common spot for the gasket to fold causing intake leaks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-03-2004, 09:45 PM   #13
jakro1972
jakro1972 is on a distinguished road

ever thought about a faulty Throttle position sensor? I believe it actls like a varibale resistor so you could check the ohms with an volt/ohm meter for resistance through its whole travel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jakro1972's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jakro1972 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-04-2004, 03:30 PM   #14
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

yeah i would check the TPS with a ohm meter while slowly opening and closing the throttle

Formerly - Saturn of Downers Grove Parts Department
Current - Castle Chevy in Villa Park Parts Department

EPA 608 Certification
EPA 609 Certification

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread