SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2008, 09:55 PM   #1
jcw
jcw is on a distinguished road

2000 SW2
Default SW2 number 1 cylinder wet - Head gasket or Intake Manifold gasket?

Hi all,

As a newcomer to this forum, I'm very impressed with the quality and amount of good information you provide - many thanks for that!

I just purchased a 2000 SW2 with 82K miles, drove it home (28 miles) and discovered, when changing the plugs, that the number 1 cylinder is wet with coolant. The car does not smoke, the coolant temperature and appearance is normal, no service lights, and the only thing I can detect is a little hesitation when accelerating from idle and a slight coolant smell under the hood. Also, don't see any oil on coolant reservoir and the oil on the dipstick looks normal.

My questions are:
If a compression test on number 1 cylinder comes clean, is it safe to conclude the problem is the intake manifold or intake manifold gasket? Is there any other route for the coolant to get in?

If the culprit is the intake manifold, is there any possibility of replacing it, or its gasket, by just taking the bolts out, dislodging the old one out and positioning the new one in without taking the whole thing apart? What about trying to tightening the bolts?

Also, about the compression test, Is there any extender I can get to reach the deep well threads?

Thanks, John

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jcw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jcw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jcw is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2008, 06:56 AM   #2
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2
Default Re: SW2 number 1 cylinder wet - Head gasket or Intake Manifold gasket?

My compression tester actually has a quick disconnect on it. However to test on a Saturn, the only way to do it is to use the end that you have to hold in yourself. I've been thinking about building my own leakdown tester. There are instructions here. Except I'd use a piece of straight pip instead of the hose. That way I could use for both compression and leakdown tests.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:59 PM   #3
jcw

2000 SW2

BarnOwl,

Thanks for the link. I decided I'll make my compression tester hose rigid by inserting it in a metal tube and fill the tube with epoxy. In that way I'm not messing with the total volume seen by the meter.
I still would love to get some answers to my other questions - guess I should rephrase the thread with a HELP! kind of title...

Thanks, John

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jcw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jcw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-08-2008, 07:49 PM   #4
jcw

2000 SW2

Just an update on my problem.

I flushed the coolant and replaced it adding 2 Saturn sealer (ginger) tablets (1 crushed and one whole). No more leaks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jcw's Reputation
Old 05-09-2008, 02:42 AM   #5
plastic torpedo
plastic torpedo will become famous soon enoughplastic torpedo will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2
1994 SC2

If compression was ok, my bet would be the IM gasket.
That sealant might last forever or it might be a short term fix.
I hope the leak doesn't come back. I hate coolant leaks.

2000 SL2 5-speed turbo
MSnS-E fuel & spark controlled @ 17-20 psi (methanol injected)
Fully forged, P&P head and manifolds, FSR turbo cams, balanced to 9k RPM
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3070918

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plastic torpedo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plastic torpedo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plastic torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote