SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2016, 02:38 AM   #1
JFS
JFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
Default Questions Regarding CD-30 to CD-40 Swap

In a recent post, I told of an XR with an Auto tranny for sale with less than 15K miles (https://goo.gl/70U4DD).

I could not help myself and had to go take a look at it, as it has a leather interior and I have been thinking of replacing my cloth seats and door card covers with the Katzkin product.

In addition to getting to see the interior, I tried out the CD-40 radio, which I believe has a cleaner, more open sound, but is not as loud as the CD-30. I would be interested in performing a swap (and making a purchase if you have one and the accompanying correct screen) in my car.

I have perused the older threads on this topic and appreciate what has been said before I came onto the scene. I have to say that there is some conflicting information, and I thought I'd ask for clarification on a couple items.

1.) I understand each model, the CD-30 and CD-40, each has its own version of proprietary screen, yes?
2.) In addition, am I correct that those of you have done the swap have had to do it with components out of the same vehicle? Or else the mismatched components need some "Tech 2" adjustment time at $140 an hour at a GM Dealership?
3.) Are the GM dealerships in your area (it is a Cadillac dealership in my Santa Clara area that has officially taken on servicing Saturn since 2010) still savvy with such "Tech 2" service, or do you find they flounder and fumble about when called upon to change these and other glitches on your Saturn?

I'm asking the above because my exploring of making such a purchase has me finding each component separate from the other. If this continues on being the case, I would be inclined to purchase the base unit in North America and the screen in Europe, where they are more plentiful. From my three years stationed in Europe, I remember there is a slightly different frequency spread for terrestrial radio, and therefore would prefer a North American base unit.

As always, thanks beforehand for your edification, comments, musings and ramblings.

JFS

Last edited by JFS; 10-09-2016 at 02:46 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JFS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JFS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2016, 04:07 AM   #2
Action Jackson
Action Jackson is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Questions Regarding CD-30 to CD-40 Swap

If you are going to spend that kind of money for a stock head unit swap, might I suggest that you upgrade the audio system as a whole?

I still have my 1 DIN adapter, and steering wheel control adapter.

2016 Honda Fit EX CVT
2008 Saturn Astra XR 5spd (traded)
2000 Acura Integra GS 5spd (SOLD)
2003 Mazda Protege5 5spd (RIP)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Action Jackson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Action Jackson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Action Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:33 PM   #3
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

For the price you'll pay for the radio, screen, and the tech-2 time, you could probably spend $300 and get an direct replacement Eonon unit. I don't have experience with the newer models, but my older model has been pretty solid.

Or if you just primarily listen to your phone, you could install a Parrot system. You can use something like Tunein Radio for your AM and FM stations. It bypasses the radio when you are playing music from your phone and sounds really good. Unfortunately, it's not as cheap now as I picked mine up for a few years ago.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206778

Just other options.

Drives: 2014 Volt, 2017 Acadia
Past Cars: 08 Astra, 15 Acadia, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emg77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emg77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
emg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 12:46 PM   #4
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by emg77 View Post
For the price you'll pay for the radio, screen, and the tech-2 time, you could probably spend $300 and get an direct replacement Eonon unit. I don't have experience with the newer models, but my older model has been pretty solid.

Or if you just primarily listen to your phone, you could install a Parrot system. You can use something like Tunein Radio for your AM and FM stations. It bypasses the radio when you are playing music from your phone and sounds really good. Unfortunately, it's not as cheap now as I picked mine up for a few years ago.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=206778

Just other options.
Do you have the Eonon D5154Z?

Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:27 PM   #5
emg77
Advanced Member
emg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura aboutemg77 has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

I have a GM5155.

Past Cars: 08 Astra, 15 Acadia, 12 Enclave, 09 Traverse, 05 Vue, 04 Grand Prix, 00 Alero, 97 LeSabre, 72 Cutlass S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help emg77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-24-2016, 07:59 PM   #6
JFS
JFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura aboutJFS has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
Default What is My Dashboard Color?

Merry Christmas Everyone.

Instead of starting a new thread with an additional inquiry, I thought I'd see if I could get this thread bumped up to get enough attention.

I have decided there is no downside to switching to an Eonon device except perhaps losing some terrestrial radio because many note these devices a weak receiver for AM/FM. I plan to compensate for this either by the iheart it Tune-In Pro apps on my phone.

I am hesitant to order only because I am not 100% sure my trim is silver or gray. I am 80% sure it is silver, but I cannot really distinguish, despite all of the photos here and elsewhere. I am curious if anyone can help.

My vehicle is a 3 door XR, came with cloth seats and a CD 30 device. The steering wheel has all the controls available. The VIN is: W08AT271985047217.

Any response would help.

Also, if you have made the Eonon trade, let me know how you may have mitigated the terrestrial radio problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JFS's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JFS reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 10:24 PM   #7
Tom S2
Advanced Member
Tom S2 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

I swapped the speakers in my 3 door about three weeks after I purchased the car. My wife wasn't thrilled seeing the interior of a brand new car strewn about the garage.

The speakers improved the sound significantly. Enough that I didn't bother with anything else. I had the CD30.

Astra XR-3-5 HP - Hamster Powered!
Dealer added options, & Infinity speakers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom S2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom S2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 02:29 PM   #8
emg77
Advanced Member

2008 Astra XR

I believe the XE is gray interior, and the XR are silver interior. If it has some sparkle in it, it's the silver.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-05-2017, 01:52 AM   #9
nicolas_p
nicolas_p will become famous soon enoughnicolas_p will become famous soon enough

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

The grey colour dash on the astra is almost like a charcoal, very dark.
The silver is light with a little metallic look to it.

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote