SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2009, 04:37 PM   #1
RBrown20
RBrown20 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL
Default Going to look at a DOHC. questions questions for the swap.

im getting ready to go look at a 94 SL 2. this guys is parting it out. I wanted the motor (DOHC) but someone allready has dibs on the head. Does anyone think that it would be worth it for me to buy the bottom end and find a head then put it all together, or just look for a full DOHC motor? I allready plan on taking the front and rear bumpers, and maby some interior parts. If nothing else (engine related) im thinking about snagging the PCM and the wire harness. its the same one ill need for the swap. any tips on what to look for would be great. thanks guys.

Where the fug is my mirror?
~No Regrets, Just Life Lessons~
I need more speakers
94, SL, 250k+, manual trans, no power anything, sparkplugs, exhaust, CAI, steering wheel, FLUX CAPACITER!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RBrown20's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RBrown20 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RBrown20 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2009, 04:41 PM   #2
cloud819
Master Member
cloud819 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2
Default Re: Going to look at a DOHC. questions questions for the swap.

I'd buy a full engine and enjoy not having to mess with that crap. You'll quickly spend more than a complete engine will cost buying it as parts. Besides if you are going to buy just a bottom end you'd be better buying a fresher 2000+ bottom end.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cloud819's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cloud819 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cloud819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:16 PM   #3
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

If you wait 'til the other guy gets the cylinder head, you'll have more room to work to get the harness out. But then, if they're sloppy/lazy, they might cut some wires just to be expedient.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:29 PM   #4
RBrown20

1994 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
If you wait 'til the other guy gets the cylinder head, you'll have more room to work to get the harness out. But then, if they're sloppy/lazy, they might cut some wires just to be expedient.
your right.... damn. I hope they dont do that. But w/e. and Im pretty sure im just gonna wait and get a whole motor. I dont want to mess around with all the extra hassle. But im thinking rear subframe, center counsel, and the plastic trim for the front pillars. Maby door seals if they are good on that car... anything else you guys can think of that might be a good idea to take? what about that front sway bar that is bigger than mine? is that worth getting? Tranny is allready claimed, and all parts to go with it.

I need more speakers
94, SL, 250k+, manual trans, no power anything, sparkplugs, exhaust, CAI, steering wheel, FLUX CAPACITER!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RBrown20 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-12-2009, 01:21 PM   #5
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2

how much for the motor, and why is he parting it out? how many miles as well?

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OnDaGround's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:17 PM   #6
d3ad1ysp0rk
Advanced Member
d3ad1ysp0rk will become famous soon enough

No point in buying the block. Buy the head or the whole engine.

T3/T4, built motor, coilovers, rear disc, audio setup, etc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to d3ad1ysp0rk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help d3ad1ysp0rk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
d3ad1ysp0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 06:59 PM   #7
RBrown20

1994 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnDaGround View Post
how much for the motor, and why is he parting it out? how many miles as well?
I checked it out. 240+ miles in the car. It had a blown head gasket.

Its not really worth it, unless I where to bore it out, and then build the hell out of it. But I went for a ride in his car ('01 SL2), he had a full stainless steel exhaust and a AEM intake and a few other things. It scooted right along, and after riding in it, I'm pretty sure that would keep me content for a while. We talked for a while, and he used to belong to this forum, but is now on sixthsphere. I kinda new the guy from school, his brother was two year older than me, and this guy is two years older than him. But I was just looking at my car, and I am going to get the trunk lid off of that car since mine is dinged up from when it got hit, and I was wondering if I can take the plastic insert out of mine, and swap it for the reflectors that go all the way across the back on the SL2. Any one know if that is an easy task, or if its even removable?

I need more speakers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2009, 07:53 AM   #8
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2

Whoa... No. Don't buy a care that had a blown head gasket. More then likely the owner drove until it over heated. Or by the time they noticed it was too late. There is too great of a possibility of the head to be warped.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OnDaGround's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote