SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2019, 11:01 PM   #1
TwoFistedJustic
TwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the roughTwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the roughTwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the rough

2002 SC2
2001 SC2
Default Starter Motor Brands and New vs Reman

There are some 10 year old threads on this subject. I figure they aren't necessarily relevant anymore in late 2019. So I'm creating a new one.

I need to replace my starter on my 02 SC2.

New I see
  • AC Delco Professional 3371165
  • AC Delco GM OE 19260748
  • dbelectrical 17667 "Valeo Unit" - appears to be same ad Power Select unit
  • Duralast (several options)
  • Bosch SR8554N
  • Napa Auto Parts (various, including choice of left or right side terminal??? )
  • Power Select 17667N "Valeo Unit"
  • Pure Engergy 12380N (comes with roadside assistance and tow of unspecified distance)
  • Remy 99700
  • TYC 117667 (Permanent Magnet Reduction - whatever that is...)
  • Valeo 438029

And of course reman units, which I am not considering unless someone can give me good reason to start.

What brands are known to last for a really long time?
Which ones tend to fail after a few years (or less)?
And what's up with the left or right side terminal?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TwoFistedJustic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TwoFistedJustic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TwoFistedJustic is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2019, 11:10 PM   #2
TwoFistedJustic
TwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the roughTwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the roughTwoFistedJustic is a jewel in the rough

2002 SC2
2001 SC2
Default Re: Starter Motor Brands and New vs Reman

I suspect the dbelectrical and Power Select are the same as ECCP 17667N which is somewhat poorly reviewed on Amazon:

https://amzn.to/308NLrY

Manufacturer page here:
https://www.eccppautoparts.com/index...2-d6ra165.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help TwoFistedJustic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-18-2019, 11:26 PM   #3
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Ive had good luck with the a/c delco pro.
The duralast worked great for several days.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:43 PM   #4
TwoFistedJustic

2002 SC2
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
Ive had good luck with the a/c delco pro.
The duralast worked great for several days.

-Robert
And how long has the AC Delco Pro lasted you?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-19-2019, 06:40 AM   #5
454cid
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

I would go with either of the Delcos. I put a new AC Delco Professional in my truck and it works great. I didn't realize my original had slowed down until I put the new starter in. I replaced it because it was becoming intermittent. I saved it, and will eventually drop it off for rebuild at a local shop.

I don't think Rockauto had an OE listed for my truck, but other guys had gotten the Professional on the truck forum and thought it to be a good starter.

It's made in Korea not Mexico or China.

The other starter I was interested in, was made by Denso, but it was quite a bit more expensive.

The only real semi-bothersome point for me was that the OEM heat shield doesn't fit without modification. I needed to get the truck going right away, so I left it off. It's a mini-starter and I haven't had any trouble with overheating.

2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 454cid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:52 AM   #6
Waiex191
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I'm a DB Electric believer. Mine has 10,000 miles, 17 months, and one new driver behind it. This starter is on my '98. I've replaced the '99 starter several times, a couple times with new units. I don't remember the brands though.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:40 AM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

You can spend the extra money for the same starter in an ACDelco box if you want.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:36 AM   #8
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoFistedJustic View Post
And how long has the AC Delco Pro lasted you?
3.5 years now. I paid $98 for it on Amazon.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-19-2019, 11:40 AM   #9
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
I'm a DB Electric believer. Mine has 10,000 miles, 17 months, and one new driver behind it. This starter is on my '98. I've replaced the '99 starter several times, a couple times with new units. I don't remember the brands though.
The only issue I have with DB Electric is that availability is fleeting. I got a regulator for my motorcycle by checking the website a couple times a month until I got lucky and found it available.

Right now they don't show a starter for the mid-90's Saturns. Maybe they'll have something next week.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-19-2019, 12:23 PM   #10
Kaervak
Kaervak will become famous soon enoughKaervak will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Quick question, what's wrong with your current starter? If the fuseable link has gone bad from corrosion, that's very easily repairable. About an inch of copper wire and 10 minutes of your time. It happened with my original starter recently, quick and easy repair and its been fine since.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaervak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kaervak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kaervak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 12:24 PM   #11
Waiex191
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

They show stock.
https://www.dbelectrical.com/product...02-saturn.html

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 12:33 PM   #12
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Installed a DB Electric in April, 2013, and it was still going strong when I parked the car in early 2017.

So, about 4 years of starting at least twice a day, 5 days a week.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 12:35 PM   #13
blueknigh7
blueknigh7 has a spectacular aura aboutblueknigh7 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC2

You can get DBElectric from Amazon as well ($52), but I'd go direct to save them a few bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/DB-Electrical.../dp/B007Y85XMG

My first replacement was with a DBElectric at around 140k miles. 7 years later and another 140k miles I have another DB on my shelf waiting for the existing one to die.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blueknigh7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blueknigh7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blueknigh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:15 PM   #14
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

I think I've got 10 years and 50K miles on my DB Electrical starter. Unless things have changed, it was as good or better quality than the OEM Valeo starter that croaked at 60K miles. My mechanic (at the time) installed a rebuilt NAPA starter that failed in the first week, so that's why we went with DB Electrical.

Until I replaced my starter, I didn't really know about the 1997 model year's failed fuel pressure check valve issue, so I was cranking the car 2x to 3x every time I drove -- which probably caused the Bendix drive to wear out prematurely.

Anyway, DB Electrical units were cheap, well made, and durable which is why they have a following here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:19 PM   #15
TwoFistedJustic

2002 SC2
2001 SC2

I'm skeptical of the dbelectrical starter because it has the same part number as a lot of other generic parts. To be fair those other parts, the ones that have reviews, have decent reviews, none more than 2 years old though.

Even though I am skeptical, I ordered from dbelectrical directly because then any warranty claim I may have will be handled directly through them (not so if you buy from amazon).

I plan to disassemble my current starter to see what's going on inside of it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-20-2019, 02:51 AM   #16
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

OE starters are definitely better than any aftermarket one imo. Mine went 22 years before going out. I replaced it with the DBElectric and its been working fine the past year. I do plan on rebuilding my OE starter one day though

Professional at finding random rattles
1997 SL2, 115K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:19 AM   #17
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

First, you can not get the seals you need to properly rebuild that starter and the total available parts cost exceeds the cost of the DB Electric part. No one will turn and undercut the armature commutator for free either and that must be done. You can clean it up and install new brushes and get another year out of it but is is not an cost effective option.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:03 AM   #18
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2

I have had a self installed DB Electric in my 1997 SW2 for a few years now, which means I activate the starter anywhere from 1 to 3 times for every start session - due the valve fault in the fuel pump.

It is still going strong.

1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:04 AM   #19
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummo View Post
I have had a self installed DB Electric in my 1997 SW2 for a few years now, which means I activate the starter anywhere from 1 to 3 times for every start session - due the valve fault in the fuel pump.

It is still going strong.
Why do you hit the starter? You should be able to just turn the key to run to prime the fuel.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-20-2019, 03:39 PM   #20
TwoFistedJustic

2002 SC2
2001 SC2

Does anyone have experience with reman starters from Valeo or AC Delco?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!