SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2018, 04:53 PM   #1
megaman8x
megaman8x is on a distinguished road

Default Insane over heating issue.

I was recently driving today in my 97 sc2 and I was stuck in traffic for a while and the themometer hit a little bit over the middle mark.

So when i finally parked i see a lot of steam coming from right side of the hood, I open it up and coolant is spilling out the tank (i had the tank replaced last year) and literally emptied the entire tank on the ground.

I paniked thinking a pipe came loose or it could be water pump issue I waiting a minute or 2 for it to cool down and borrowed some anti-freeze and filled up the tank..

I didnt realize until afterwards that it was the 50/50 Dex cool version instead of the regular 50/50 prestone (Yellow) that i use.

I only filled up the tank but will this cause any damage by mixing the two?

Also what can cause the tank to fill up with so much pressure it coming out the cap when screwed on tight.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to megaman8x's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help megaman8x reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
megaman8x is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2018, 06:00 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Insane over heating issue.

Read both coolant labeling for mixing reactions for compatibility or incompatibility. Other than another color of coolant from mixing, if one coolant is formulated to stay in a cooling system longer than the other, this new mix must be replaced at the recommended interval for the other coolant.

When coolant erupted from the surge tank, did you notice the cooling fan running or not?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:20 PM   #3
megaman8x

no, the car was off when i opened the hood.
Everything is exactly the same, same brand except one says dex-cool on it, here are the brands.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...2100/7020013-P

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help megaman8x reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-10-2018, 06:21 PM   #4
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

https://www.holtsauto.com/prestone/s...lant-coolants/

According to this, Prestone Yellow coolant is compatible with other coolants including Dexcool, even the old green stuff. I ran Dexcool for the first 8-10 years, then switched over to yellow/Zerex G-05 for the past 13 years/three changes. I suspect there was some Dexcool still in the heater loop, so I wanted something that would be compatible with it. No reaction issues that I could ever tell.

I run it at 60% to 70% concentrations and I'm still on my first radiator.

I like the yellow Zerex G-05 stuff better than the Dexcool -- no weird scum in the expansion tank now, you can buy it full strength, it's compatible with Saturns, cheap, and it's long-lived. And at higher concentrations, if you need a small top-up, just use distilled water.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:51 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

megaman8x, your concern about mixing antifreeze may be overlooking an overheating issue. If you have a reader, use it. Display coolant temps so you have some idea of whether or not its overheating from; clogged radiator, debris blocking the ac condenser coil in front of the radiator, loose drive belt, worn out belt tensioner (belt flopping), stuck thermostat, and dead/dying/worn out cooling fan.

You can force the cooling fan on with several methods; a)if ac works - turn on ac as the cooling fan will run, b)remove the cooling fan fuse and examine the relay for pinout info - insert a wire jumper/paper clip into relay socket terminals 30 and 87 to power the cooling fan immediately or c)wait or drive until the engine overheats - the cooling fan should turn on with the engine running when you pull over to the side o the road. Personally, I would use the wire jumper method without worrying about overheating on the road somewhere.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:53 PM   #6
megaman8x

Since yellow is compatible i should be able to just drain it and refill it without having to flush out the system right?

How would i be able to tell if there is a clog, I did have to to jerry rig one of the the coolant lines because it was rusted tight when i had to replace the radiator and I couldn't find a replacement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-11-2018, 09:00 PM   #7
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

OEM caps fail after 10-20 years, aftermarket caps fail after 1min-20yrs. Sounds like yours has failed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:21 AM   #8
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hholbein View Post

I run it at 60% to 70% concentrations and I'm still on my first radiator.

I like the yellow Zerex G-05 stuff better than the Dexcool -- no weird scum in the expansion tank now, you can buy it full strength, it's compatible with Saturns, cheap, and it's long-lived. And at higher concentrations, if you need a small top-up, just use distilled water.
Yep, same here. I run G-05 at ~60% Concentrations. Works great.

Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:54 PM   #9
Casper50
Casper50 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC1
2000 SL2

+2 on looking at the cap. If the cap fails it will let the coolant boil at a much lower temperature because it doesn't allow the system to pressurize. The middle mark on your temperature gauge would be right about the boiling point if the system isn't pressurized.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Casper50's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Casper50 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Casper50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:34 PM   #10
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Start by replacing the expansion tank cap.

Dex-Cool and Gold are compatible and won't be an issue. You can drain, flush and refill with gold at your leisure.

The rigged coolant line is going to need properly repaired. The Saturn cooling system design is slightly different from standard cooling system designs of that era of GM vehicles. Blocked lines, removal of the thermostat, etc. often can cause flow issues within the system and water pump cavitation, which will increase the odds of overheating.

Testing the cooling fans, with the AC on is a good idea as well, because if the fan is shot you can also overheat.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote