SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2010, 12:09 PM   #1
JohnHupp
JohnHupp is on a distinguished road

Default Rear drum brake adjustment

I haven't been able to pull my rear brake drums so far. The last time I was able to I think pounded a lot on one side while pulling on the other side (and alternating pounding/pulling sides).

The commonest explanation seems to be that the shoes have worn a ridge on the inboard side of the drum, and the ridge hits the shoes when you try to pull the drum. The other explanation I've seen is that the drum is rusted to the hub.

The FSM says that if drum removal is difficult, shorten the adjusters (i.e. loosen the brakes), and I've seen that recommended here also, so I'd like to do it that way this time.

Two problems: 1) I wonder if I have a tool that will work. 2) Which way do I turn the star wheel?

I have one brake adjusting tool on hand (see attachment). But the Saturn Drum Brake Adjusting Tool, SA9201BR, pictured in this Autozone diagram (http://repairguide.autozone.com/znet...528017ec98.gif) seems to show a flat, two-dimensional tool instead of what I have, which is more like a wonder bar.

Then there is the question of which way to turn the wheel. I read in one source that the right adjuster is right-threaded, and the left adjuster is left-threaded. If that is the case, then to shorter the adjusters (loosen the brakes) I would expect to turn the star teeth up on both sides from the oblong adjustment hole in the back plate. Anyone confirm? (One thread refers to a Richpin video on this point, but he was working with the drum removed, and besides, I couldn't tell what he was doing with the screwdriver.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My brake adjustment tool.jpg (70.5 KB, 56 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JohnHupp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JohnHupp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JohnHupp is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2
Default Re: Rear drum brake adjustment

I don't think that took would work because as you said, you need the flat end so that it catches the teeth of the adjuster.

IIRC For both wheel; you would push up to loosen them if going from the back

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #3
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

it is most likely your hubs are rusted. If the shoes were catching you'd be able to pull the hub part out about 1/4" as the shoes are mounted on springs. I've always been able to wiggle around the rusty ridge.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:02 PM   #4
JohnHupp
JohnHupp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefino View Post
it is most likely your hubs are rusted.
That was it. I had to give them some of this, that and the other (PB Blaster, pounding, heat), but they did come off without any bloodshed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JohnHupp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JohnHupp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JohnHupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:44 PM   #5
Rekrab
Rekrab is a jewel in the roughRekrab is a jewel in the roughRekrab is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1488 View Post
I don't think that took would work because as you said, you need the flat end so that it catches the teeth of the adjuster.

IIRC For both wheel; you would push up to loosen them if going from the back
To clarify, to loosen, when looking at the back plate from the back, the wheel goes down ( screw driver goes up).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rekrab's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rekrab reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rekrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:45 PM   #6
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to all

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

I live in the salt belt and those things can seize on the hub along with the brake shoes creating a deep grove on the outer edge. Get a puller and force the drum off. Then get a set of shoes, drum, and hardware kit.

This tool WILL remove the drum or shatter it in the process. Either way, it will come off - https://www.amazon.com/OTC-6980-Heav...dp/B004CGOGFS/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Macgyver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Macgyver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:48 PM   #7
Kaervak
Kaervak will become famous soon enoughKaervak will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyver View Post
I live in the salt belt and those things can seize on the hub along with the brake shoes creating a deep grove on the outer edge. Get a puller and force the drum off. Then get a set of shoes, drum, and hardware kit.

This tool WILL remove the drum or shatter it in the process. Either way, it will come off - https://www.amazon.com/OTC-6980-Heav...dp/B004CGOGFS/
I have that tool as well, very handy to have. A word of caution with drum brakes, cut the pins holding the spring cups before using the puller. You can tear the pistons out of the wheel cylinders if the shoes are that badly stuck. Cutting the pins helps free things up a little bit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaervak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kaervak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kaervak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 03:35 AM   #8
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

And always remove any ridge that's formed.

I toss them on the 3 jaw chuck on my engine lathe and take a clearance cut.

If you don't have a lathe - you can simply grind it out with a body grinder. It' s clearance - it doesn't need to be perfect.

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is online now   Reply With Quote