SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2019, 12:24 PM   #1
Gileddb
Gileddb is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Intermittent Starting Issue

2002 SL2 with 150k miles. Recent work history includes a replacement of front 02 sensor and a cleaning of the EGR valve, both prompted by check engine lights that have not returned since the work was done. New starter about a year ago. No other current codes pending or logged in the computer.

EGR valve cleaning was done about ten days ago.

Last week as I go back to my car after about minutes to run my kiddo into day camp, car tries to start but can't. Turn key all the way off, try to start again, bam, off and running.

This has happened three times since. Every time when she has been sitting for less than 5 minutes or so. She has started easily when trying to start her back to back AND has started a couple times even when sitting less than 5 minutes. So far she has not failed to start if sitting longer.

I've read a million posts about everything from CPS to ECTS to fuel pump relays and so on. Just caught another post that it could still be the EGR, just not throwing a code. Read a couple folks claim bad gas could do this... ( I just put some way better gas in the tank but that was a day or so ago)

So I took a video. Had my family wondering why I kept recording starting the car but maybe it will pay off. Hoping folks can take a look and let me know what they think.

I broke up the url as apparently I haven't made enough posts yet...

h t t p s://youtu. be/1cV9My9SeM4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gileddb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gileddb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gileddb is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2019, 01:22 PM   #2
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Re: Intermittent Starting Issue

https://youtu.be/1cV9My9SeM4

I don't think that is an EGR problem. Sounds like a weak crank due to lack of juice to me. I'd check the battery connections before I did anything. This includes both side posts, ground connection to block and chassis, power connection to starter and under hood junction box. After that I'd look at the battery.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:13 PM   #3
Gileddb

So looked at connections, tightened the battery positive as it had a very small amount of tension it could take.

I'll take the battery in and have it scanned but it is only six months old.

Does it make sense that a bad connection or battery would lead to this issue only occasionally?

Gileddb
"Rainbow Rose" 2002 SL2 150k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Gileddb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-15-2019, 07:45 PM   #4
Kaervak
Kaervak will become famous soon enoughKaervak will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gileddb View Post
So looked at connections, tightened the battery positive as it had a very small amount of tension it could take.

I'll take the battery in and have it scanned but it is only six months old.

Does it make sense that a bad connection or battery would lead to this issue only occasionally?
Loose/dirty connections don't carry current as well. Disconnect and clean the battery terminals and for the extra mile, disconnect and clean the battery connections at the starter and alternator. I recently had to pull my starter to repair it and the battery terminal connections on it were quite corroded/dirty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaervak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kaervak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kaervak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:03 PM   #5
edlee
edlee will become famous soon enoughedlee will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1

I'm guessing that you need a new fuel pressure regulator. If you can consistently start your car by turning your key to the Run position just before Ignition, waiting for the fuel pump buzzing sound to stop, and then turning the key to ignition, then you have a leaking check valve in the fuel pressure regulator that slowly bleeds out pressure overnight.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to edlee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help edlee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
edlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 08:28 PM   #6
Gileddb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaervak View Post
Loose/dirty connections don't carry current as well. Disconnect and clean the battery terminals and for the extra mile, disconnect and clean the battery connections at the starter and alternator. I recently had to pull my starter to repair it and the battery terminal connections on it were quite corroded/dirty.
On the battery they are clean for sure. Have been since I bought the car (couple years now) I'll check at the other ends.

Gileddb

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-15-2019, 08:31 PM   #7
Gileddb

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlee View Post
I'm guessing that you need a new fuel pressure regulator. If you can consistently start your car by turning your key to the Run position just before Ignition, waiting for the fuel pump buzzing sound to stop, and then turning the key to ignition, then you have a leaking check valve in the fuel pressure regulator that slowly bleeds out pressure overnight.
I will have to test if that is the case but wouldn't that mean the first start of the day would be the problem child? This is usually the 2nd or 3rd of the day at a minimum?

Gileddb

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-15-2019, 08:39 PM   #8
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
I will have to test if that is the case but wouldn't that mean the first start of the day would be the problem child? This is usually the 2nd or 3rd of the day at a minimum?
I agree with you. My '98 had a sick starter that would get worse as it warmed up. This could be your issue. I have had many bad aftermarket starters and some lasted less than a year. Thank God for the manual transmission. If you ever replace it again, go DB Electric. Cheap and awesome.

https://www.dbelectrical.com/product...02-saturn.html

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-15-2019, 08:49 PM   #9
edlee
edlee will become famous soon enoughedlee will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1

If the problem is intermittent, then it can be hard to diagnose, unless you can consistently start your car as I described.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to edlee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help edlee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
edlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:08 PM   #10
nealt
nealt is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
1999 SC2

Most likely its your CPS. Cheap and easy sensor to replace. Mine goes bad every few years with very similar symptoms. Letting the car sit and cool almost always allows a successful start. Just get one that has a lifetime replacement warranty.

In the hot weather, it's more likely to fail due to thermal expansion of the internal electrical connections. It's a very common failure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nealt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nealt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nealt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 02:18 AM   #11
Gileddb

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealt View Post
Most likely its your CPS. Cheap and easy sensor to replace. Mine goes bad every few years with very similar symptoms. Letting the car sit and cool almost always allows a successful start. Just get one that has a lifetime replacement warranty.

In the hot weather, it's more likely to fail due to thermal expansion of the internal electrical connections. It's a very common failure.
I guess I am confused about the CPS as it seems like some folks say I should have other problems while the car is running while others seem to tie it to a weird start issue.

Regardless if the CPS is the culprit my understanding is I pretty much have to:
A. Get her off the ground.
B. Take of the starter.

I could do B I guess, if I had resources to do A...but I don't have good access to flat land or jack stands and I have heard taking off the starter is a chore.

I see richpin has a video to test that the CPS is functioning. Is it possible for a CPS to pass his test but till cause the trouble described?

Gileddb

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-16-2019, 02:52 AM   #12
SlayZombi
SlayZombi is a jewel in the roughSlayZombi is a jewel in the roughSlayZombi is a jewel in the roughSlayZombi is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL

I have very similar problems currently. Except for my issue it has issues starting up when I let it sit for awhile. I have a new fuel pump and filter coming in since I JUST replaced the faulty starter that I thought was the problem (still needed replacing anyways!) and had no luck with the intermittent no start issue. Since everything on this car I've replaced has been pretty much OEM I have no doubt that the fuel pump and filter are 18 years old. I'll let you know how it goes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SlayZombi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SlayZombi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SlayZombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 08:03 AM   #13
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Jack stands:
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-...nds-61196.html

Walmart has them too. Or find a friend with them.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-16-2019, 08:57 AM   #14
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

When it fails to start, it cranks normally, just does not "catch" and start/run?

I would check the positive cable in the middle - you sometimes get corrosion in the middle even though the ends look clean. Grab the cable in a couple spots in the middle, bend /flex it slightly. If it feels "crunchy", replace or clean with baking soda solution. I don't think this is your problem if the cranking sounds normal and you have good spark, but it costs $0 to check.

Quote:
I guess I am confused about the CPS as it seems like some folks say I should have other problems while the car is running while others seem to tie it to a weird start issue.
From what I have read, it fails when hot - so, car will shut off while running, then will crank but not start while hot. After CPS cools off, you can start and run again normally for a while.

I suppose it is possible in your normal driving that your car gets just hot enough to cause the CPS to temporarily fail after sitting a few minutes (heat soak), but then within a few more minutes, cool off enough to start. And it doesn't get hot enough to fail and stall while driving that distance. It would be a weird coincidence, but stranger things have happened.
Quote:
Regardless if the CPS is the culprit my understanding is I pretty much have to:
A. Get her off the ground.
B. Take of the starter.

I could do B I guess, if I had resources to do A...but I don't have good access to flat land or jack stands and I have heard taking off the starter is a chore.
Some folks have changed the CPS by parking one side on a curb to raise it. You can put a large piece of cardboard under the car to slide under more easily.

Taking the starter off is simple, two bolts and you are done. Putting it back on is hard because you are trying to put the top bolt into its hole blindly and using a socket with extension to hold the bolt. Richpin's starter video shows him using a mirror to locate the top bolt hole, but I've never been able to see it. I used a piece of duct tape to hold the bolt into the socket (it kept falling out while trying to put it into the hole)

Quote:
I see richpin has a video to test that the CPS is functioning. Is it possible for a CPS to pass his test but till cause the trouble described?
Does the test involve immediately checking for spark when it fails to start? It's a pretty definitive test - you will either have spark or not. If you have good spark, we can move on to fuel

This will help with the CPS location

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...ations/cat/500 (CPS callout is at lower left of diagram)

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...ensors/cat/500

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 09:47 AM   #15
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayZombi View Post
I have very similar problems currently. Except for my issue it has issues starting up when I let it sit for awhile. I have a new fuel pump and filter coming in since I JUST replaced the faulty starter that I thought was the problem (still needed replacing anyways!) and had no luck with the intermittent no start issue. Since everything on this car I've replaced has been pretty much OEM I have no doubt that the fuel pump and filter are 18 years old. I'll let you know how it goes.
I wouldn’t go randomly replacing parts. Measure the fuel pressure at start up. The aftermarket pump you’re replacing it with is probably less reliable than the old pump.
It’s pretty straight forward to diagnose a fuel pump vs a starter.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:33 AM   #16
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

"If it feels "crunchy", replace or clean with baking soda solution". This cleaning would only apply to the visible ends and no where else.

Since that positive cable has an intact PVC jacket, if it were crunchy, there is no way to ever clean that middle with anything, unless y'all were to slice it open (not recommended).

Just replace that cable with a new one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:02 AM   #17
Gileddb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
Jack stands:

Walmart has them too. Or find a friend with them.
Yes yes, I know where to buy them. I'm the most car oriented of my friends so no extended network of friends with tools, I am the friend.

My main issue is flat land. A buddy just offered his driveway. If this seems like the culprit I know how to throw money at the problem. Just want to be on the right track.

Gileddb

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-16-2019, 11:06 AM   #18
Gileddb

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
When it fails to start, it cranks normally, just does not "catch" and start/run?

I would check the positive cable in the middle - you sometimes get corrosion in the middle even though the ends look clean. Grab the cable in a couple spots in the middle, bend /flex it slightly. If it feels "crunchy", replace or clean with baking soda solution. I don't think this is your problem if the cranking sounds normal and you have good spark, but it costs $0 to check.

From what I have read, it fails when hot - so, car will shut off while running, then will crank but not start while hot. After CPS cools off, you can start and run again normally for a while.

I suppose it is possible in your normal driving that your car gets just hot enough to cause the CPS to temporarily fail after sitting a few minutes (heat soak), but then within a few more minutes, cool off enough to start. And it doesn't get hot enough to fail and stall while driving that distance. It would be a weird coincidence, but stranger things have happened.
Some folks have changed the CPS by parking one side on a curb to raise it. You can put a large piece of cardboard under the car to slide under more easily.

Taking the starter off is simple, two bolts and you are done. Putting it back on is hard because you are trying to put the top bolt into its hole blindly and using a socket with extension to hold the bolt. Richpin's starter video shows him using a mirror to locate the top bolt hole, but I've never been able to see it. I used a piece of duct tape to hold the bolt into the socket (it kept falling out while trying to put it into the hole)

Does the test involve immediately checking for spark when it fails to start? It's a pretty definitive test - you will either have spark or not. If you have good spark, we can move on to fuel

This will help with the CPS location
Yeah I don't know how to describe the start, that is why I posted the video honestly.

I know where the CPS is but I'll admit I am daunted and without knowing for sure its the issue as it is more akin to throwing down for some jack stands and the parts AND getting underneath a car for the first time. Not just badda bing, in and done. I don't have that confidence yet.

Hey, first time for everything. I'll double check the cable and report back when I know more.

Gileddb

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-16-2019, 06:14 PM   #19
Gileddb

Quote:
Yes yes, I know where to buy them. I'm the most car oriented of my friends so no extended network of friends with tools, I am the friend.

My main issue is flat land. A buddy just offered his driveway. If this seems like the culprit I know how to throw money at the problem. Just want to be on the right track.
Waiex191, sorry about the terseness of my message this morning. I had a rough start to the day and that permeated my typing. I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.

Cables are in good shape. Honestly for all her chipped paint and torn up interior my engine compartment is in great shape. I think a fair amount of her cables and stuff were either replaced, restored or were actually well cared for before I got her.

No hiccups on starts at all today after tightening that positive terminal. I guess I now just need to let some more time pass and see what comes. Thanks everyone for the ideas.

To be continued?

Gileddb

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-16-2019, 08:17 PM   #20
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

No worries!

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!