SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2010, 10:51 PM   #21
XRL
Master Member
XRL will become famous soon enoughXRL will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line
Default Re: Royal Purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by D C View Post
I've read through that "analysis" in the past and frankly I find it mildly entertaining at best and completely misleading at worst.

It's nothing more than a subjective opinion based on qualitative observations of several filters. It doesn't tell me a thing about the filtering efficiency, long-term durability, or anything else performance-wise about the filters.

Frams have been criticized for their construction. Frankly, I don't care if the filter is made out of kleenex & duct tape if it performs well without failure. If Frams were as crappy as one is led to believe, there would be engine failures all over the place from people using them. I'm not seeing it.

Personally, everything I own with an internal combustion engine gets Mobil1 oil. My cars also use Mobil1 or Purolator PureOne filters (higher first-pass efficiency) and go 10k miles between changes. That's hardly a stretch considering that most oil change monitors will go 6-7k between changes with dino-oil.
This is very true, but it's sort of a rough estimate of how well something filters. There's another one somewhere where they did flow tests and crap, and it got pretty similar results. The main thing to see in that one is which filters are really the same.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2010, 11:21 PM   #22
D C
D C is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRL View Post
This is very true, but it's sort of a rough estimate of how well something filters. There's another one somewhere where they did flow tests and crap, and it got pretty similar results. The main thing to see in that one is which filters are really the same.
The who-makes-what for whom is definitely interesting

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to D C's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help D C reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
D C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #23
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

I have found the Valvoline 'Max-Life' engine oil and transmission oil to be very good in my '03 V6 VUE. The DexMerc trans oil is rated for the T-IV I need as well as the Z-1 for the '04 and up. The engine oil put a stop to occasional tappet noise on start-up and is the only oil I have used that positively did that. I have used RP, M1, Motorcraft, etc. I have personally done every oil change on my '03 over 7 years and 73,000 miles. Funny thing, I also did not like Royal Purple although I stuck with it for several changes. Why? Can't say - purely subjective. I get feelings about things. Synthetic blends give me the best results, and 'Max-Life' really does the trick on older engines. I still use the same 5W30 as always.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote