SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2008, 02:49 PM   #1
vinny9520
vinny9520 is on a distinguished road

Default exhaust options

I have a 96 SL1 and i want to put a better exhaust system on it. I just bought the OBX header. What kind of options do I have on the muffler part. Im having trouble finding parts for it. I just want something that sounds better and looks good, and I dont want one of those huge pipes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vinny9520's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vinny9520 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vinny9520 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2008, 04:29 PM   #2
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: exhaust options

2.25" high flow cat (yes, I know the stock one is high flow, but it's smaller, and also constricts a lot right before the catback) and then the Thermal R&D catback. I have just the catback from Thermal, it's awesome. The Thermal is pure bolt on to the stock system, but the cat would need the brackets welded on to connect the OBX to the Thermal. Also, a brace needs to be welded from the downpipe of the OBX to the engine/tranny brace so the OBX won't crack over time.

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 05:16 PM   #3
black98dohc
Advanced Member
black98dohc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny9520 View Post
I have a 96 SL1 and i want to put a better exhaust system on it. I just bought the OBX header. What kind of options do I have on the muffler part. Im having trouble finding parts for it. I just want something that sounds better and looks good, and I dont want one of those huge pipes.
Get an OBX muffler too, they sell really nice mufflers.

http://www.obxracingsports.com/

1998 SC2 - 92' header, Cat-back, CAI, Wires and plugs, Intrax lowering kit, Strut bar, LUK clutch, Just polished, Short shifter & Dojo™ knob
Coming up: Meet up on the 25th.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to black98dohc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help black98dohc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
black98dohc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
vinny9520
vinny9520 is on a distinguished road

yeah i was looking at the thermal exhaust on there website, but where do you actually buy it from? and is the obx header a direct bold on?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vinny9520's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vinny9520 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vinny9520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:33 PM   #5
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

don't bother changing the cat unless it's bad or you start doing more than just bolt-ons.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:09 PM   #6
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGuy View Post
don't bother changing the cat unless it's bad or you start doing more than just bolt-ons.
I disagree. If you have an OBX with the diameter of 2.25" where it meets the cat, the thermal with a diameter of 2.25", the cat is a restriction because of its size, not that high flow bs people talk about. Plus, take a look at it. It severely constricts where the catback bolts on. It even restricts the stock exhaust system right there. I should have snapped a picture when I did my clutch and had the car on the lift.

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote