SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Mods and Performance
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2002, 08:14 PM   #1
OllieSC
OllieSC is on a distinguished road

Dazed Exhaust Options

I cant decide between putting a straight pipe on my 91 Saturn or buying a nice exhaust system. Im a little low on dough so what do you all think?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OllieSC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OllieSC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2002, 11:25 PM   #2
goldenSL1
goldenSL1 is on a distinguished road

Try searching this board for some answers. I know some people recommend teh dynamax super turbo muffler but I would double check this board and see for yourself. It is supposed to be much cheaper! Check it out!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to goldenSL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help goldenSL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-20-2002, 02:49 AM   #3
SoCalSaturnsGuzzis
SoCalSaturnsGuzzis is on a distinguished road

Don't run a straight pipe. You'll be like those stereotypical poor white trash folks in their beat up cars belching smoke and noise all over the place. If you're pressed for money, go to Kragens or Pep Boys and get a universal muffler like a Raptor. I put two on my wife's '02 LW300, cost was $20 each. Spend the money on a muffler, otherwise you'll spend a lot more on a fix-it ticket.

Robert
"somewhere" in the Persian Gulf
'02 LW300 Ltd Ed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SoCalSaturnsGuzzis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SoCalSaturnsGuzzis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-20-2002, 11:55 AM   #4
TIMSPEED
Advanced Member
TIMSPEED is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
1998 SW2

Hmm..so I guess I"m white trash and I belch smoke and noise right? Actually..I haven't seen ANY smoke come from my saturn, and it's actually QUIETER than most of these annoying riceburners around here!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TIMSPEED's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TIMSPEED reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-22-2002, 12:43 PM   #5
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Default Re: Exhaust Options

Quote:
Originally posted by OllieSC
I cant decide between putting a straight pipe on my 91 Saturn or buying a nice exhaust system. Im a little low on dough so what do you all think?
for a quick cheap system you could have a muffler man shop bend you a 2.25" pipe and use a dynomax muffler for about $150 or so. a straight pipe is hella loud and i have been in and around saturns with no muffler attached. if anything you could cut off the stock muffler and clamp on a supertrapp. it would be less loud, but effective. or you could be really cheap and use a $15 cherry bomb as a muffler.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-22-2002, 03:35 PM   #6
SyNNeR
SyNNeR is on a distinguished road

For those of you who have a Monro Muffler Shop by you (and for those unlucky enough to be able to replace your own muffler) Take your saturn into them...They stock all variations of the Dynomax line....Not sure of the price...I got an appointment tomorrow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SyNNeR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SyNNeR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-23-2002, 12:51 AM   #7
2000 SL 1.9
2000 SL 1.9 is on a distinguished road

Default HKS has it all for Saturns

Has anyone got the HKS cat back system or the new intake with the super mega flow filter on top? I spoke to the local saturn dealer twice this week. parts department says they just got a memo down the wire that they are available dont know about the cat back, but he quoted me about 200 for the intake. i spoke to the service guy and he says the cat back should be no problem for the SL- like mine....side note those guys lost my "chip" ignition disable key yesterday....so they gave me a red colored one, says it unlocks all the 5k sequence saturns....damn services techs....sometimes...nah he was cool

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2000 SL 1.9's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2000 SL 1.9 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2002, 11:00 AM   #8
clearanceman
clearanceman is on a distinguished road

Someone explain to me why you can get a ticket if you take your muffler off, but a Harley Davidson is allowed to come from the factory sounding louder than a car with no muffler?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to clearanceman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help clearanceman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2002, 11:54 AM   #9
SyNNeR
SyNNeR is on a distinguished road

Thats a good question maybe a cycle afficianado (sp?) could answer...my only guess is that maybe they produce less polution overall than a car? I don't know the answer, and im not claiming to know...But it is a good point.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SyNNeR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SyNNeR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2002, 12:08 PM   #10
clearanceman

But pollution is beside the point. It is the noise that can get you a ticket. But a HD can be as loud as a mack truck using the engine braking and it is A-OK. It is crazy. Some of those bikes are amazingly loud, if we ran our Saturns with no muffler at all, it would only be about 3/4 the volume of some of the Harleys..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help clearanceman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2002, 01:40 PM   #11
GR898SL2
Master Member
GR898SL2 will become famous soon enoughGR898SL2 will become famous soon enough

Post Why a Harley Can Be Loud, Sort Of.

Because motorcycles are lighter and quicker to speed than a conventional automobile, quieter bikes have a greater potential for not being noticed by cars/trucks changing lanes, etc. until it is too late. Imagine cutting off a motorcycle you couldn't 'hear' coming. By the time you 'see' it, it could be in your blind spot already. Sound travels, so a loud bike muffler can be heard from afar, signaling the motorcycle's approach.

There are bikers in my neighborhood (no, not the Hell's Angels kind) and one has a bumper sticker on his car that says "Loud Bikes Save Lives". Now I know why.

No more Saturns! :(
'11 & '15 Subaru Forester; '15 Nissan Altima

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GR898SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GR898SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-24-2002, 02:04 PM   #12
clearanceman

I could never ride a bike that is that loud. It would drive me crazy. Blatt blatt, fart, blatt blatt chuga fart.. pop!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-25-2002, 12:15 AM   #13
TIMSPEED
Advanced Member
TIMSPEED is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
1998 SW2

Actually, in California, there's no muffler regulations on Motorcycles..also no smog laws. So I guess we sould all buy Ducati's.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TIMSPEED's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TIMSPEED reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-25-2002, 06:38 AM   #14
clearanceman

Ah, no regs. That would explain it. Makes a lot of sense, not!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-25-2002, 07:55 AM   #15
SoCalSaturnsGuzzis
SoCalSaturnsGuzzis is on a distinguished road

Timspeed -

I think you're mistaken regarding no muffler or smog regulations on bikes in California. I got a ticket for having a Supertrapp after-market muffler on a Yamaha FZR1000 I used to have. 'Course if the CHP had looked at the open-end cap, where it's clearly stamped "For Off-road use only", he would've had me for sure!

There are regs on the books in California regarding modifying or altering a motorcycle exhaust that produces more noise above a certain decibel level. The cops see a bike with an after-market muffler, and it's a ticket in the making. It's up to you to prove that it doesn't exceed the manufacturer's or state's allowed decible rating. A lot of after-market motorcycle performance upgrades are for "off-road use only", but a lot of street bikes have them. Depending on the mood of the law enforcement officer, even a set of Termignonis on a Ducati would be illegal. 'Course the booming sound of a Duck on T's is nothing like that American v-twin running straight pipes (POTATO-POTATO-POTATO-POTATO). But a lot of HD's come from the factory that way, that's how they get away with it.

Same goes for smog equipment. There are 49-state model bikes, and guess which state is the exception? Yup, California. I took off so much smog crap off a '93 Ducati Superlight I used to own it was a joke. Taking all those hoses and canisters off, putting in a K&N filter in the airbox, Ducati racing mufflers and rejetting the carbs made that bike boom like a Ducati is supposed to, not to mention run a WHOLE lot better.

There are times when I wish I was a law enforcement officer, because I'd be ticketing rice burners that are obnoxiously loud, and I'd be doing the same to Harleys just for fun. I know what to look for, such as the markings that are stamped on mufflers saying they meet or exceed DOT noise regulations. 'Course I wouldn't stop there, I'd be looking at turn signals, rear license plates, helmets, height of handlebars on Harleys, etc. And I certainly couldn't forget about checking to see if they have a valid motorcycle license in the first place. If not, they'll be walking home, and their bike would get picked up and towed away to an impound yard, during which I'm sure the bike would incur the accidental scratches, dents, and dings. I'd be a motorcycle-rider's worst nightmare when it came to issuing a ticket. But I'm not in LE, so they're safe!

Robert Brooks
"somewhere" in the Persian Gulf
'02 LW300
'95 Moto Guzzi 1100 Sport (w/full Staintune exhaust)
'74 Moto Guzzi Eldo LAPD (after-market mufflers)
'78 Moto Guzzi V50 (after-market mufflers)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SoCalSaturnsGuzzis's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SoCalSaturnsGuzzis reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!