SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos


Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2008, 07:03 AM   #1
Charlie
Administrator
Charlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to beholdCharlie is a splendid one to behold
 
Charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 3,774
 

2008 Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
Default GM Aims to Dispell Rumors and Set the Record Straight with "Facts and Fiction" Websit

A new story entry has been added:

GM Aims to Dispell Rumors and Set the Record Straight with "Facts and Fiction" Website and Video

Quote:
As you're probably aware, the United States auto industry is in dire need of help getting through these tough economic times. There's a lot of speculation about the financial and economic impact on the U.S. if any of the "Big 3" automakers were to collapse.

...
2008 Saturn Outlook XR
2005 VUE Red Line
2002 L300 (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Charlie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Charlie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough
 
marx404's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: FL
Posts: 2,017
 

2008 Astra XE
Default Re: GM Aims to Dispell Rumors and Set the Record Straight with "Facts and Fiction" We

Thank You for posting this Charlie. Whether people agree or disagree with this, they need to be informed of how it will affect their local economy.

...
marx404
Saturn lives on.


1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:50 PM   #3
Dante
Master Member
Dante is on a distinguished road
 
Dante's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 3,608
 

2004 VUE Red Line
2002 SL2
Default Re: GM Aims to Dispell Rumors and Set the Record Straight with "Facts and Fiction" We

Quote:
Originally Posted by marx404 View Post
Thank You for posting this Charlie. Whether people agree or disagree with this, they need to be informed of how it will affect their local economy.
I agree... While I'm very much not in favor of just dishing out more taxpayer cash to bail out big business led by irresponsible (or just greedy) CEOs and executive boards, as is the case in the Wall Street bailouts, the LOANs to the automakers are a different story.

The most telling fact in the video was about the GDP. We had a tiny dip in GDP and everyone's freaking out. 4% is huge by comparison. It will cost a LOT more than a $25B loan if ALL of the retirees get put onto Medicare and their pensions get transferred to the federal government (in the form of welfare and other government programs). Also, the loss of tax revenue and the unemployment costs will far surpass that loan amount.

The Big 3 have been fighting an uphill battle the last few years, and the way I see it, are just about to crest the hill to a brighter (and hopefully profitable) tomorrow. With cars like the Volt and new Camaro almost ready to hit the streets, and with new vehicles like the new Mustang and F-150 coming out very soon, at least GM and Ford have some real winners on deck. Chrysler, meh, notsomuch, but that's because Cerberus is further behind in the turnaround game.

...
Tupperware cars FTW!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dante's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dante reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:44 PM   #4
AWDV6
Junior Member
AWDV6 is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ohio
Posts: 11

2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: GM Aims to Dispell Rumors and Set the Record Straight with "Facts and Fiction" We

You got it rich CEO's and mismanagement=failure... Honda...2 brands Toyota... 3brands Nissan... 2 brands Are they asking for $$$$????

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AWDV6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AWDV6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AWDV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:32 PM   #5
s-seriesguy
Senior Member
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,844
Default Re: GM Aims to Dispell Rumors and Set the Record Straight with "Facts and Fiction" We

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDV6 View Post
You got it rich CEO's and mismanagement=failure... Honda...2 brands Toyota... 3brands Nissan... 2 brands Are they asking for $$$$????
Huh? English?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:32 PM   #6
czechers
Member
czechers is on a distinguished road
 
czechers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 85

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: GM Aims to Dispell Rumors and Set the Record Straight with "Facts and Fiction" We

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWDV6 View Post
You got it rich CEO's and mismanagement=failure... Honda...2 brands Toyota... 3brands Nissan... 2 brands Are they asking for $$$$????
Those companies have only been building cars in the U.S. for a short amount of time... they do not yet have the legacy of retiree and health care that G.M. and Ford have, that network to support that saps cash. Give it 20 years, and they will be facing some of the same costs. They pulled out of the frikken Detroit Auto Show, for Chrits sake. Things aren't good for ANY automaker right now. You can sell three times the cars of GM. When GM is selling a million cars a year in the U.S., you are selling 3 million. When G.M. starts to sell 100 thousand cars, being three times as good only nets you three hundred thousand sales. Much better than G.M... sure. But, still not half of what G.M. was pumping out when they were just squeaking by. You say there will be no layoffs at the Japanese plants? I don't see how, unless "twiddling your thumbs" will still get you paid $20 an hour?

You know the laws of competition in business, right? Think of it this way. When you can buy a Camry, Accord, Altima, Sebring, Avenger, Fusion, Milan, Zephyr, G6, Aura, Malibu... they have to compete. When you only have to choose from an Altima or Camry or Accord... there is alot less incentive to make any of them better and good enough reason to jack the prices by $5K a piece because you have very little to shop around. I don't want any of them to go away.

I am sorry... I am on my second glass of Merlot, but I swear there is a point in there...

...
2008 Astra XR 3 Door
5 speed
Black Sapphire
Leather, 18's
Holding out for one of those cool Astra Aftermarket Stereos!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to czechers's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help czechers reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
czechers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:30 PM   #7
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road
 
Kooler King's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 869
 

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: GM Aims to Dispell Rumors and Set the Record Straight with "Facts and Fiction" We

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechers View Post
... I am sorry... I am on my second glass of Merlot, but I swear there is a point in there...
yep ... sounds like "whining" to me

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooler King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:03 PM   #8
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice
 
BobbyP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 7,030
 

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY
Default Re: GM Aims to Dispell Rumors and Set the Record Straight with "Facts and Fiction" We

This website is just an attempt to control the flow of information in their favor. It's all over the evening news that GM is going to concentrate on Chevrolet, Cadillac, GMC, and Buick.

Funny how when I posted about Saturn being sold 5-6 months ago is now backed up with recent news reports. No one wanted to buy Saturn then, and no one wants to buy Saturn now...

...
2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:46 AM   #9
wolfman
Super Member
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light
 
wolfman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 12,066
 
Default Re: GM Aims to Dispell Rumors and Set the Record Straight with "Facts and Fiction" We

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechers View Post
Those companies have only been building cars in the U.S. for a short amount of time... they do not yet have the legacy of retiree and health care that G.M. and Ford have, that network to support that saps cash. Give it 20 years, and they will be facing some of the same costs. They pulled out of the frikken Detroit Auto Show, for Chrits sake. Things aren't good for ANY automaker right now. You can sell three times the cars of GM. When GM is selling a million cars a year in the U.S., you are selling 3 million. When G.M. starts to sell 100 thousand cars, being three times as good only nets you three hundred thousand sales. Much better than G.M... sure. But, still not half of what G.M. was pumping out when they were just squeaking by. You say there will be no layoffs at the Japanese plants? I don't see how, unless "twiddling your thumbs" will still get you paid $20 an hour?

You know the laws of competition in business, right? Think of it this way. When you can buy a Camry, Accord, Altima, Sebring, Avenger, Fusion, Milan, Zephyr, G6, Aura, Malibu... they have to compete. When you only have to choose from an Altima or Camry or Accord... there is alot less incentive to make any of them better and good enough reason to jack the prices by $5K a piece because you have very little to shop around. I don't want any of them to go away.

I am sorry... I am on my second glass of Merlot, but I swear there is a point in there...
Actually...Honda started building cars in the USA in 1982...26+ years ago.
In the history of the company, Honda has never had a layoff.
Toyota in 1984...24+ years ago...
Toyota has now overtaken GM as the largest producer of cars on the planet...

Sounds like they know what they are doing to me...

...
Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:14 PM   #10
FGCA_XRL
Senior Member
FGCA_XRL will become famous soon enough
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 1,046
 

2004 VUE Red Line
Default Re: GM Aims to Dispell Rumors and Set the Record Straight with "Facts and Fiction" We

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman View Post
Toyota has now overtaken GM as the largest producer of cars on the planet...

Sounds like they know what they are doing to me...
They sure do, they "highly recommend" that their overseas employees put in as many unpaid overtime hours as they work in paid regular time. They often work their employees to death, and then refuse to pay any sort of benefits to their widows and children. But everyone wants to hate the Big3 and love Toyota and the other imports. Sheeple, what can you do?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FGCA_XRL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FGCA_XRL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FGCA_XRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:48 PM   #11
DeMAN
Advanced Member
DeMAN is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: SE, TX.
Posts: 654

1995 SC2
Default Re: GM Aims to Dispell Rumors and Set the Record Straight with "Facts and Fiction" We

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGCA_XRL View Post
They sure do, they "highly recommend" that their overseas employees put in as many unpaid overtime hours as they work in paid regular time. They often work their employees to death, and then refuse to pay any sort of benefits to their widows and children. But everyone wants to hate the Big3 and love Toyota and the other imports. Sheeple, what can you do?
I couldn't have said this better and thus the reason I posted in another thread that we should keep as many jobs here as possible. It was good to buy imports to make GM get off there lazy ass and start improving there product. Its now time to start showing the US automaker some love. We can always use this time to remind them again what will happen if they go back to there old ways. oops. They will probable get another bailout

...
DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DeMAN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DeMAN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DeMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flashback Friday: More Saturn "Did You Know?" Facts Charlie General Saturn Discussion 3 11-17-2008 10:27 AM
Replacing 9005/9006 bulbs, Straight or "L" shaped - does it matter? Notorious Vue Mods 5 09-23-2006 09:00 PM
Does anyone own the SPS "straight through" muffler yet? auxmike Mods and Performance 9 05-28-2003 02:12 PM
Delta "S" Rumors saturncanuck General Saturn Discussion 69 06-07-2001 08:24 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:13 AM.

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SaturnFans.com. The Saturn Enthusiasts Site.