SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech

Old 09-16-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
jonus311
jonus311 is on a distinguished road

Default 2004 L300 V4 antitheft lights randomly, no start

Hello all, thanks for viewing this thread, this website has helped me out in the past.

My wife tried starting the car yesterday to go to work and the antitheft light was blinking and the car wouldn't start. (from my understanding it is because the antitheft disables the fuel pump).
After I drove my wife to work in my other car, I returned home and was able to start the car with the second set of keys. Assuming that the problem was worn down keys, I told her just to use the 2nd key.
The next night as my wife got in the car for work the antitheft light blinked again and car wouldn't start.
I thought that since both keys move the ignition it must be an electrical/sensor problem. Not a physical problem with the tumbler.

The car does have a history of having the antitheft light come on and stay on (i.e. solid light) while the car is in operation. We have had the blinking light come on while trying to start but after a short while you can start the car. Now it is getting ridiculous.

I have been reviewing the website and noticed that people keep speaking of the BCM. Could it be something else? Could it be the "passlock"? Does anyone have any troubleshooting steps I can take before I have to take the car to the dealer?

Please help!
jonus311 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2009, 11:53 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2004 L300 V4 antitheft lights randomly, no start

If you have the owner's manual, review the section on Passlock's anti-theft system. Once triggered and flashing it will take 10-minutes with the ignition left in the ON position to time out before the car can be started, cycling the ignition key off before trying again. Most/all thieves have better things to do than to wait around for this time out to pass before trying to steal our cars. The fuel pump is disabled since the EFI system cannot run the engine without fuel pressure; the body control module (BCM) is another mini-computer that contains the factory Passlock anti-theft program and tells the ECM (engine computer) whether to run or not. The random triggering of the theft deterrent system may be due to the ignition switch assembly as part of the theft deterrent circuitry surrounds the ignition switch using position sensors or the beginnings of a bcm failure. The temporary remedy (if the bcm begins failing) seems to be resetting the electronics with disconnecting the battery negative cable for 5-minutes.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote