SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
BennySL2
BennySL2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default Replacing remote keyless entry fob. Question about compatibility with GM remotes

We have a 1999 Saturn SL2. I lost a set of keys and would like to replace the remote keyless entry fob. Our remote has four buttons (Lock, Unlock, panic button, trunk unlock). The "model/FCC ID" is AB01502T. The GM part number is 16245100-29. (See first attached image.) There is also a very long alpha-numeric string on the back of my remote. Considering how long that string is, I presume it's the transmitter's ID code. I plan to use the programming instructions in the how-to section to pair the new and old remotes with the car.

Looking for a replacement, I notice there are many variants of that remote. Some have the same model and part number, but are still slightly different. Will these other versions work? For example, a 1999 Chevy Tahoe remote I found on eBay (130319541292) is missing the "panic button" and the trunk button is called "Rear 2X". (See second attached image)

It has an identical GM part number and model number. This Tahoe remote, like other variants, seem to be more affordable. So if anyone has any experience with using another GM remote, I'd appreciate some advice. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4buttonremote.JPG (14.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 3buttonremote.JPG (9.4 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by BennySL2; 07-21-2009 at 04:00 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BennySL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BennySL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BennySL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2009, 04:21 PM   #2
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: Replacing remote keyless entry fob. Question about compatibility with GM remotes

Any AB01502T fob will work. AFAIK, the "2X" means you press it twice, but that's a function of the receiver; the transmitter sends the same signal. Of course, you only get the functions for which you have buttons, so it depends on what you want to work; some folks actually prefer not to have the PANIC button. Some remotes (such as those for pickups) don't have a TRUNK button, so look closely at the pics. Search hint -- also try ABO1502T; it's a common way in which they're mis-listed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:37 PM   #3
BennySL2
BennySL2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default Re: Replacing remote keyless entry fob. Question about compatibility with GM remotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
some folks actually prefer not to have the PANIC button.
We too prefer to not have that panic button. It's aptly named though: after accidentally bumping it, it certainly induces a panicked rush trying to figure out how to turn it off....
Quote:
Some remotes (such as those for pickups) don't have a TRUNK button, so look closely at the pics. Search hint -- also try ABO1502T; it's a common way in which they're mis-listed.
Thanks for the tips! I just checked, and some remotes are listed under ABO1502T too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BennySL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BennySL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BennySL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
2kSL1
2kSL1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1

Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, but I didn't want to make a new thread for such a similar question...

Anyway, wondering if this remote could be set at a dealer to work with my 2001 SC2:

(from ebay listing info)
The ID numbers on the back of remote are 1645100-29 CANADA 218 101 368 FCC AB01502T

It's a 3-button (no panic button) listed for a 99-01 Cadillac Catera.

2001 SC2 5-speed - 200k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2kSL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2kSL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2kSL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #5
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Nope, the AB01502T fobs work only on the '96-'99 cars. I don't remember the FCC number that works on the gen-3 ('00-'02), but I know it's different.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #6
2kSL1

2000 SL1

Well, I just went ahead and paid a little more to get an OEM fob that said it was specifically for my vehicle. It worked out well, though. When I called a GM dealer to get it programmed, they said it would be $25. But when I showed up, they were so busy, the service writer just said "Don't worry about it, I'm so busy right now that it's not worth the time to write it up." So awesome

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2kSL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
GeeWiggles
GeeWiggles is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

I found a key fob at a pick and pull, brought it home, used the programming video on richpin's youtube account and bam, working key fob lol.

I thought it extremely lucky to find a working, near exact year match saturn key fob in a junk yard.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GeeWiggles's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GeeWiggles reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GeeWiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
2kSL1

2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeWiggles View Post
I found a key fob at a pick and pull, brought it home, used the programming video on richpin's youtube account and bam, working key fob lol.

I thought it extremely lucky to find a working, near exact year match saturn key fob in a junk yard.
Yeah, it's pretty cool that some Can be programmed at home. 2000 and newer can't be self-programmed.

Was the key fob just sitting in the car or what?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!