SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2007, 07:41 PM   #1
loweyj
loweyj is on a distinguished road

1993 SL1
Default 93 SL1 ses codes 32 & 45

Hi,

I have just used the paperclip method to determine why my ses light would come on and found that I have

#32 EGR System Fault

#45 Oxygen Sensor System Rich

I have searched through the board and found some info, but I feel the two are related, or could be, so I'm hoping some of you mechanically inclined folks here could point me in the right direction on where to start to solve these problems.

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Jim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to loweyj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help loweyj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
loweyj is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2007, 08:31 PM   #2
yazhere
yazhere is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
Default Re: 93 SL1 ses codes 32 & 45

I would say they are related in the sense that your system is running rich resulting in a build up in the EGR and at the oxygen sensor. Both should be removed and cleaned. However, I would think an underlying sensor may be at fault.. the ECTS ( engine coolant temperature sensor ) or its connector...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yazhere's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yazhere reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
yazhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 08:37 PM   #3
loweyj

1993 SL1

Thanks for the reply yazhere !

I will give the mentioned advice a whirl and report back on progress.

Jim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help loweyj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-17-2007, 01:39 PM   #4
loweyj

1993 SL1

UPDATE:

Pulled the EGR and the Oxygen sensor and cleaned both. The EGR did not move all that smoothly, so I cleaned it up with carb cleaner, soaked it awhile and it moved much better.

I also pulled the connector on the ECTS and it was fine, no corrosion at all.

Put everything back together, but cleaned the throttle body with carb cleaner prior to doing so.

Cleared the SES memory and took her for a 15 minute drive. So far, so good. No SES light came on. She seems to run much smoother than before also.

I'm wondering if i should just go ahead and change out the ECTS anyways. It is only $21 from the local Saturn dealer. Albeit, I am getting 34mpg (Imperial gal.) presently, but I only do highway driving.

I also paid attention to Idle rpm's, and they are sitting around 1100 -1200. Is this to high? I believe I read somewhere that 700 idle is proper.

Thanks very much !!!

Jim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2007, 01:54 PM   #5
yazhere
yazhere is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

Yes ..if that is the original resin ECTS, you will see why it needs to be changed when removed. Replacement is brass and may be the reason for the higher idle. Change out is with a 13mm deep 6 point socket.

Good job and good luck..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yazhere's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yazhere reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
yazhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:51 PM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Even if the existing ECTS looks fine, if it's the old resin tip, it's at risk of failure. It's not so much a "wear out" part as a "point of failure". And the replacement, being brass, is a lifetime part. IOW, it's what should have been installed in the first place. So yeah, replace it, for good measure. 34 MP(I)G is only about 27 MP(US)G, which is low, esp. for an SOHC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:57 PM   #7
loweyj

1993 SL1

My mistake, got confused when posting mpg...

I meant 34mp(us)g, which is approx. 41 mp(I)g.

Below is taken from http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/transportatio...ut.cfm?attr=16

<paste>
Fuel Calculator
Results based on the figures provided

Fuel Cost
$35.78

Distance travelled
523 km
324.99 miles

Fuel Amount
35.96 litres
9.5 US gallons
7.91 Imperial gallons
Cost of Fuel
$1 per litre
$3.77 per US gallon
$4.52 per Imperial gallon

Fuel Economy
6.87 litres per 100 km
34.21 miles per US gallon
41.09 miles per Imperial gallon

Mileage Costs
6.8413 ˘ents per km
11.01 ˘ents per mile
<end paste>

sorry for the confusion...

Is this acceptable for a 1993 (sohc) with 244,500 km or 147,000 miles?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2007, 04:29 PM   #8
loweyj

1993 SL1

I should also mention that when I had everything apart, the harness and connector were brand spanking new, so that leads me to believe that the ECTS is also brand new.

I guess that if I have more probs, I will inspect that first, just to be sure it is indeed the brass unit that was installed.

Thanks very much yazhere and madpogue for your input and help... muchly appreciated !

Jim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2007, 04:43 PM   #9
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by loweyj View Post
I should also mention that when I had everything apart, the harness and connector were brand spanking new, so that leads me to believe that the ECTS is also brand new.
Probably so (good). If you wanna verify, peer in there again, and disconnect the connector and look at the outside of the sensor, and compare with this photo. See the exposed part of the two sensors? See how, just outboard of the hex flats, the new sensor has a "shoulder" that the old one doesn't?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote