SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 10:43 PM   #1
RebelExtrm02
RebelExtrm02 is on a distinguished road

Default Timing Chain Fix (newbie)

First off, I am not familiar with saturns, at all.

I was looking through the Weekly Trader and seen an ad for a '95 Saturn LS2 4 door automatic (needs engine work) $395. So I called the lot that had it. They said the problem was the timing. Aparently the previous owner took the engine apart and didn't put the timing assembly together right and it won't start. The lot said they bought it this way and couldn't tell me much more. My question is, Is the timing assembly easy to diagnose/fix, if so what are some possiblilities/solutions to this problem?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RebelExtrm02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RebelExtrm02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2005, 11:02 PM   #2
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2
Default Re: Timing Chain Fix (newbie)

Other than the engine problem, what condition is the rest of the car? And obviously, untill you get the engine running you won't really know about some of the other things such as air conditioning and so on. But depending on how badly the "previous owner" mis timed the cams, you could be looking at some other issues such as bent valves, damaged pistons. The timing chain in itself is not really too difficult depend on your mechanical abilities. Personally, if the rest of the car was in good shape and all it needed was a timing chain set, I would buy the car for that money. I do wonder what else the "previous owner" may have screwed up. There is only one thing worse than somebody who is not mechanically inclined working on your car, that is somebody who is not mechanically inclined and doesn't know it.

By the way, it's an SL-2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-12-2005, 11:05 PM   #3
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

I said it was an SL-2 forgetting about the LS series. But since the LS was not available in '95, if it is a '95 it is a SL-2, if it IS an L series then it is newer than '95

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-12-2005, 11:11 PM   #4
ScurriVision
ScurriVision is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line
2000 SW2
Wrench Re: Timing Chain Fix (newbie)

I agree completely with the above post!! If I were buying this vehicle, I would simply "ASSUME" it needs a (REAL) total engine rebuild, or engine swap. That way you are prepared mentally & hopefully financially for the worse. Next, I'd start looking at pricing used SL2 engines... to get an idea of what they are going for.

Good luck & keep us posted on whether or not you buy it!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ScurriVision's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ScurriVision reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-13-2005, 03:58 AM   #5
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

I'd just swap an engine, it's probably easier than figure out why the one in there isn't working.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-13-2005, 05:25 AM   #6
EzDi
EzDi is on a distinguished road

It's hard to mess up the timing in a way that it won't run but won't trash the valves...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to EzDi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help EzDi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-13-2005, 08:19 AM   #7
chrispel
chrispel is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
2001 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzDi
It's hard to mess up the timing in a way that it won't run but won't trash the valves...

That is not true. I think anything over 12 degrees will cause the car not to run and valves will be bent. If I remember correctly each tooth on the cams sprocket is 9 degrees so all it would take is for one of the gears to be out of time 2 teeth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chrispel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chrispel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-13-2005, 11:52 AM   #8
RebelExtrm02
RebelExtrm02 is on a distinguished road

Thanx for the input. The rest of the car is great. I appologize for the mixup in the model. I knew it was a SL-2 thats why i'm in the S series forums. LOL I appreciate the advice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RebelExtrm02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RebelExtrm02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-13-2005, 01:54 PM   #9
Nowhere Man
Nowhere Man is on a distinguished road

1995 SW2

If the previous owner tried to do a timing chain job and failed. That means it never started after he messed with it, which also means that there isn't any piston damage. The starter can make the pistons smack into the valves on startup, thus bending them, but I dont think the pistons would be damaged just from the starter. Just get a rebuilt or used head, time it correctly, and for at most $400 you have a perfectly fine, running car.

95' SW2
131,000 Miles
32-MPG avg.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nowhere Man's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nowhere Man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-13-2005, 02:21 PM   #10
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

I would also not discount too heavily the possibility that the previous owner lied to the junkyard when they scrapped the car, nor would I discount the possibility that the junkyard might be sugar coating what really happened. Caveat emptor.

Having said all that, for just $395, your risk is pretty limited.

*Edit*

Just re-read the initial post. Is this being sold by a used car lot or a junkyard? (I thought it was a junkyard initially, but it sounds like it may be a used car lot.)

Is this an "as is/where is" sale, where you have no recourse to the seller, or are they willing to provide some type of guarantee?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razorbak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-13-2005, 03:26 PM   #11
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Reguardless the problems with the engine, I'd get it. Either pick up a junkyard engine or fix it yourself. For $395 this can be a great and not to expensive learning experience.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-13-2005, 08:51 PM   #12
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
Default Junk Yard vs Used Car Lot

Quote:
>> RebelExtrm02 <<

> I called the lot that had it. They said the problem was the timing. Aparently the previous owner took the engine apart and didn't put the timing assembly together right and it won't start. The lot said they bought it this way and couldn't tell me much more.<
Doesn't sound like a junkyard to me, but a "used car lot"

Razorbak
My hat's off to your analysis

> 95 SL 2 = 653,369 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 5/20/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable < The car was retired

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread